Goth / alternative nights?

Is there an goth / alternative dance music night in Sheffield? I can't seem to find one... one that might play something along the lines of darkwave / EBM / industrial, that kind of thing.

Cheers!

There are some around.

The Casbah has just started a monthly night on Thursdays called Gloominati

Also there's Batfink at the Uni, don't know when the next one is tho.

To find out more join the Sheffgoth mailing list at the Batfink url - lots of peeps who know far more about this stuff than me.

No idea, there used to be few a couple of years ago but I think they stopped. I'm still waiting for somewhere to start playing Aphex Twin and Squarepusher

Yes! More Aphex Twin and Squarepusher... that would be good. Not sure they get played much in Sheffield though. Went to Gloominati last Thursday... don't remember any of the above although it wouldn't have been out of place. A guess there's always downstairs at Slimelight but it's a bit of a trek, if you find anything like that nearer then let me know!

Start one up sprongs to mind ? :confused:

...was at the leadmill a couple of months ago, i missed him cos i was already busy but i was gutted nonetheless.

but yeah, there should be more warp stuff in sheffield - they are based here after all!

Squarepusher at shedmill was ace.

Me and some mates are looking into starting our own monthly night, wont be playing warp style stuff exclusively though.

Warp moved to London a couple of years ago, now they never seem to appear much around here. Booooooooo

I used to work at NMB and they had a goth night on once a month or so, dunno what happened to it though?

Chris

That was Dissolution at the NMB, a good night out even if you're not a goth type (which I'm not), which has now been discontinued in it's regular slot. It's some mates of mine who organise and Dj it.

They're planning to do the occasional one-off night though, think they're looking at doing one early in the new year but nothing concrete is sorted yet.

My mate picked up a flyer the other day, from Jack's records. It's for a new Goth/Industrial Night at City Hall. The first night is on Feb 13th.

Heard DJ Psyber from Dissolution is playing, and some others.

Sounds allright for a Friday Night; thinking of going. There's supposed to be podium dancers!

Forgive my stupidity, but what actually constitutes goth music? Does old stuff count (like the sisters of mercy)? What about stuff like Cradle of Filth? Or am I completely on the wrong track?

Well Goth has kinda split into 2 sub-genres... one being trad which includes the likes of Sisters, Mission, Fields...etc and then there's the cyber / industrial kind of stuff that's emerged relatively recently. A lot of things can be described as goth I guess, ranging from some late 70s punk through to some hardcore techno that could also be described as little more than white noise - is there a bigger genre out there? Personally I prefer the bleepy bouncy stuff but I also like the way its blurs into metal too, Marilyn Manson for example.