Canton Orchard

Has anyone ever been to eat at Canton Orchard on Fulwood Road?

I am planning to go next week but wanted opinions about the place i.e. if the food/service is good.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Ying

Has anyone ever been to eat at Canton Orchard on Fulwood Road?

I am planning to go next week but wanted opinions about the place i.e. if the food/service is good.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Yeah. It's good quality - I recommend it.

Nomme

I Ying.

I have been once when I first moved here. It's a lovely building - the service was good. Evereyone wolfed everything down as they couldn't bear to leave any (boring me doesn't like the food much, so can't rave on about anything in particular - but everyone else does).

So hope you enjoy it as much as my ex-colleagues did.

:)

You might want to have a read of these two threads:

Good Chinese restaurant

Sheffield Chinese Restaurants/Take Aways

Quoted from one of those threads:

Originally posted by Tony Ruscoe

I've been to Canton Orchard a couple of times.

The first time it was great. Expensive, but really good quality food.

The second time I went it was Chinese New Year and it was very disappointing! It's the first time I've ever seen a table of 9 people finish a complete banquet with nothing left (not even the stir fried vegetables)! Most of us were still hungry too. Now, they were busy, but that shouldn't have affected the portion sizes. We paid good money and got below average sized portions.

Having said that, I'd definitely go again.

P.S. Don't forget to use the "Search" feature kids!

:thumbsup:

Thnx guys!:mrgreen:

Has anybody been here latley, myself and mr Honeyplanet are off for a meal tonight and have seen mixed reviews, just wonderd if the quality has improved alatley

Well after reading the good reviews on this forum we decided to go last night (28-11-08) with my girlfriends parents who were staying the night. As soon as we walked in we were shocked at how poor the decor was! It reminded me of youth hostels I stayed in when I was younger. The manager was slightly quirky which we brushed off before sitting at our table.

For our first course we ordered the bbq spare ribs, crab claw and king prawn parcels - after receiving them, they could only be described as processed meat. You couldn't taste the difference between the prawns and the crab claws; a chewy jelly like substance.

We also ordered half a crispy duck. When this arrived it was already shredded which is strange as the waiter should usually shred it in front of you. We asked the manager why it was preshredded and he said it was a different style and nothing was wrong. However, on tasting it It was like no duck I had ever had before and it wasn’t good. You couldn’t tell what meat it was.

We thought enough was enough, and asked that they didn't bring us any more food and we'd settle up. The manager (aka Basil Fawlty) didn't ask what was wrong, but tried to quietly usher us outside where he proceed to argue with us about what we were paying for on the bill. He was very rude to my girlfriend and her mother, pointing his pen right in her face and shouting!

Well, it made for a very entertaining evening - fortunately Bann Thai had a spare table for us straight away and it was lovely as usual.

Well after reading the good reviews on this forum we decided to go last night (28-11-08) with my girlfriends parents who were staying the night. As soon as we walked in we were shocked at how poor the decor was! It reminded me of youth hostels I stayed in when I was younger. The manager was slightly quirky which we brushed off before sitting at our table.

For our first course we ordered the bbq spare ribs, crab claw and king prawn parcels - after receiving them, they could only be described as processed meat. You couldn't taste the difference between the prawns and the crab claws; a chewy jelly like substance.

We also ordered half a crispy duck. When this arrived it was already shredded which is strange as the waiter should usually shred it in front of you. We asked the manager why it was preshredded and he said it was a different style and nothing was wrong. However, on tasting it It was like no duck I had ever had before and it wasn’t good. You couldn’t tell what meat it was.

We thought enough was enough, and asked that they didn't bring us any more food and we'd settle up. The manager (aka Basil Fawlty) didn't ask what was wrong, but tried to quietly usher us outside where he proceed to argue with us about what we were paying for on the bill. He was very rude to my girlfriend and her mother, pointing his pen right in her face and shouting!

Well, it made for a very entertaining evening - fortunately Bann Thai had a spare table for us straight away and it was lovely as usual.

We went a couple of weeks ago. I didn't post about it at the time because I didn't know where to begin. I'll add more later when I've more time.

The manager . . . where do you start.

Went a few weeks ago and it was as good quality as ever. I've never had any problems with the place - but of course, other people can have entirely different experiences.

we went last night, food was not to the usuall standard, but it looked like there were a few issues in the kitchen. We had to send away two lots of food we did not order, and my main course looked like it had be whacked together sharpish and cooked very if not too fast. We had the usuall banter with the manager, who I allways find a pleasure to talk to.

I did notice they seem to have simplified the menu, there was lots of the really good dishes missing from it last night.

I would not go near this place. We have been many times and it started out as an excellent place, but each time we visited standards slipped.

I am a little afraid of posting for fear of reprisals.

We went for a large group meal and had to have a set menu. It wasn't cheap. There wasn't enough food for the people there, the veggies were starving. We had deep fried starters, some vile mush instead of mock duck and then some stir fried monstrosity. The meat eaters didn't fare much better. The duck was dried out, a shrivelled mess. The main courses weren't enough to feed half the group.

At each stage we made our complaints known. When we tried to make a complaint at the end the manager on the night was very aggressive; but hadn't given us a choice to order from the menu.

This was really shocking and I was very surprsised.

Oh and the toilets smell of damp, they don't flush properly and they never ever have sufficient loo roll.

Stay away.