Hypnotherapy for losing weight

Has anybody had hypnotherapy for losing weight in Sheffield?

Does it work? How much did it cost?

I've got about 2 stone to lose and really struggling with my sweet tooth!!

I put the weight on when I had a serious injury to my leg and had to stop exercising. I never needed to diet before really as I was a keen runner and did boxing training etc. It's taken me a year to put on 2 stone and I really need to lose it by dieting but Ive been hopeless!!!

I think if I joined WW or Slimming World classes I would cheat!

I would really like to hear about hypnotherapy experiences for losing weight.

Thanks!!

My friend had this about 2 years ago, I think she paid about £200.

They told her she had to drink water before every meal and chew her food one mouthful at a time, putting her cutlery down each time in between mouthfuls.

Did it work, I would say No, she got fed up with the water thingy, if she has lost any weight since I don't think it had anything to do with the hypnotherapy.

No...that approach wouldn't inspire me either!! I already drink lots and plenty of water...Doesn't sound like hypnotherapy either... I've got an image of a swinging pendulum and a soothing voice that sends me to sleep and tells me never to touch another chocolate hobnob again!

Any other experiences out there?

It only works if you believe it's going to work for you. It's usually a waste of money for most people but you could always try the Paul Mckenna books/cds if you want a cheaper approach.

I have the paul mckenna weight loss cd some one give me to try has it worked for a friend so she says. Yes i was relaxed but nothing els worked. My friend says maybe i am one of them people who can not be hypnotised has i did try it one time to stop smoking to, but i just kept feelin like i was goin to be in a panic attack i had to stop.

Is this hypnotherapy something Like NLP. I have read some good reviews on it ages ago. Something like removing mind blocks to enable one to deal with why one eats or something. If you find anything that works plz let me know as well as I need some help too. Otherwise lets talk to Darren Brown:hihi:

No...that approach wouldn't inspire me either!! I already drink lots and plenty of water...Doesn't sound like hypnotherapy either... I've got an image of a swinging pendulum and a soothing voice that sends me to sleep and tells me never to touch another chocolate hobnob again!

Any other experiences out there?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, yes she did actually get hypnotised ( or whatever they do) as well, I think she had 3 or 4 sessions and she did say for a few weeks she didn't feel as hungry but that soon wore off, to be honest I think the not feeling so hungry as more to do with the drinking water before each meal and the slow speed of eating.

We went out for a meal together once and I was trying not to laugh as every mouthful she took she then had to put cutlery down and wait till she had chewed that mouthful before taking another lot, in the end she had hardly anything to eat which would obviously help the weight loss somewhat.

i wouldnt do hynotherapy.....theres some tablets you can buy my mates done it lost loads

You should give slimming world a go at least. I did it and lost 2 stone. It tookme about 6 months, coz i was cheating a *wee* bit, but you get to eat loads so you don't really *need* to cheat as such. I just had a few more syns than was recommended. Had i stuck to it religiously, i think i'd have lost the weight in half the time !!

Good luck :)

I was going to say the same as above. Slimming World is great and you can still eat chocolate just use syns. Or they sell Hi-Fi Bars, they do chocolate orange and mint chocolate which are lovely and give me my chocolate fix. Also muller light yoghurts are free on the plan (no syns) you can get vanilla with a sprinkle of chocolate or toffee flavour.

Lose weight properly I say with a healthy balanced diet but without having to give up treats!

All you need to do to lose weight is go to the gym & eat abit healthier. You can still have your portions of cake/sweats etc... but with losing weight, there's no easy option imho other than to do it the hard way. I've been going to the gym for 2/3 years and couldn't live without it now tbh & try and go at least 4 times a week.

Its up to you, but how people expect to lose weight by not exercising and eating healthier is beyond me!.

As a hypnotherapist who treats clients for weight loss I would like to give you my side of the discussion...(sorry in advance if I go on a bit!)

Weight tends to be closely linked in with emotions. This is a pure guess but as a previously healthy person who got an injury I would guess you felt a bit sorry for yourself and restricted in what you could do. I'm also guessing that you got an endorphin rush when you exercised but with your injury you missed that also which could have made you feel down so you turned to food for comfort during those times.

Through hypnotherapy and NLP I help clients to identify the reasons they really overeat or eat the wrong food and I help them to be healthier by working with their body in as natural a way as possible. I don't advise clients to turn to medication (as nikkit285 recommended) and I don't advocate calorie counting, regular weigh ins or forbidden lists of food. I have found with several clients that a greater awareness of the real reasons they over eat combined with good sensible eating habits can have a huge impact.

Through hypnotherapy I also give suggestions for the client to find more satisfaction from eating 'real' food that they have freshly prepaired rather than microwave frozen meals for one.

In working with clients in this way I have helped people lose weight. I don't want to make out that getting hypnotherapy for weight loss makes the process effortless, because it isn't, you need to want to lose weight but if the motivation is there and you have an open mind about the potential effectiveness of hypnotherapy then you have a very good chance of it working for you.