View Full Version : Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Pages : [1] 2 3

fuddyduddy
04-12-2003, 22:53
Anyone remember The Our Clubs booklet in the sixties and seventies it held all the concert nights of the clubs in the Sheffield area.There were the big clubs :Dial House ,Smithywood,Manor,
Arundel,St Phillips and the small ones: La Plata,Hartley House.
A group could have a full diary for the year and never go out of the area there was so many.
I remember seeing Bitter Suite at the Dial House when they had the brass section,wow what a full sound when they played numbers such as "Breaking Down theWalls of Heartache" .At the
Hillfoot Club I remember the "Vantennas" coming on to the high stage such an unassuming bunch of lads far different from the pop star image of the Suite but boy what a sound they dished out from "Penny Lane" to the vocally testing "Good Vibrations".
One incident I remember was one Saturday night in 1967
at Tinsley WMC .The concert room was full to bursting at 8:00pm
but the group had not arrived from the Birminghamarea,Suddenly they arrived for some reason brought the gear through the audience pushing and knocking the audience about .By this time the audience had taken an intense dislike to their would be entertainers and the chairman was in two minds whether to let them on or not.Anyway by 08:30 they were on .An unusual group
who decided to utilize the clubs grand piano but adding a small keyboard of there own underneath.The keyboard player proceeded not to play but to explain to the audience that the small keyboard was called a "Mellotron" consisting of loops of tape and pressing the keys a string sound was heard this was to prove they hadn't a tape recorder under their sleeve.The audience was not impressed familiar cries of "get on with it" were
heard around the room and I feared the worst for the group.Then they at last started to play ,for all the world it sounded like Mantovani and his orchestra was up there not four lads the tune was "Theme from a Summer Place" .I looked around the room it was just like that film "The Producers" with the musical Spingtime for Hitler. Jaws dropped audience aghast.When they finished the number there was total silence then as one the audience were on there feet clapping and shouting for more ,all was forgiven Musical technology had arrived in Tinsley!!

superCol
02-01-2004, 21:19
Amazing. There were some good acts on the club circuit, then! Most of the ones that I saw where dismal. Most of the crowd were waiting for the bingo (as far as I remember). I didn't play that, rather spend my money on beer.

My mother used to like some bloke that sang a bit like Perry Como, can't remember his name. Used to turn up at the Loco Club (Woodside) about 2 or 3 times a year.

Anybody else remember the Loco Club? Or howabout that one at the bottom of Fife Street in Wincobank? What was it called? (No, not the conservative club).

Wasn't it amazing, the number of places you could get in to with a club card. Shame the birds didn't see it the same way.

fatjohn
03-01-2004, 17:06
Does anyone remember the comedian Ron Delta? We used to follow him from club to club. He was very rude and attracted a lot criticism in those days. But the clubs were always full when he appeared.

Hal9001
04-01-2004, 20:17
I remember going to see Johnny Calendar Band at the Woodhouse West End WMC. Everyone was over 40 and they were singing stuff by Styx and other rock bands. They all looked bemused, but the band was very good. This was about 1980, if my memory serves me right.

fuddyduddy
08-01-2004, 22:41
Does anybody remember the old Greasbrough Club near Rotherham in the 60's . It was a hybrid cross between a W.M.C and a theatre.What a night out ,4 or 5 acts on all good with star acts such as Tommy Cooper,The Shadows and Gerry and the Pacemakers.I once saw an elephant on stage and all for a token entrance fee. Just 3 games of bingo were run off very quickly because there entertainment was king not bingo.Do you remember the little bar in the corner which was hoplessly inadequate sometimes the queues to the bar stretched the full length of the concert room and everybody was buying 2 pints at a time because of that. By the way the elephant was very good,Tanya I think they called her.

Heeleylass
18-01-2004, 22:17
why hasn't anyone mentioned bands on the circuit 1980's?The Internationals,who's lead singer "Neil" is still doing the rounds with The Gutterband.Radiation(Electro-pop/Bowie/John Foxx)all theatrical stage show.Dragonfly,dressed as child's nursery characters 1st half(Postman Pat etc..)excellent singer Paul & co.Toys for Girls,a bit like Radiation.Good grief I spent nearly all my life blagging my way into club's to see these acts,because "It's members only love" & conning some poor bloke outside(couldn't do it today)to take me & a mate in as guest!!!

PopT
11-03-2004, 06:10
Whatever happened to the local club singer Johnny Rivers. I'd love to know how he is. Anybody any info, background etc.

pauline
11-03-2004, 22:44
i remember ron delta,my dad was the drummer at tinsley club,also the 4 mimes,who became the disos when rex died,ive seen some very good club turns.can anyone remember the club trips too?:)

rainbow2411
12-03-2004, 22:45
I remember the club trips, Attercliffe Non-Pots and the Moulders Club. The exhilaration of being allowed to go without a grown up, the Charabangs would wait for all the kids on Effingam Road, we were all given 2/6d spending money which I think with passing years grew to 5 shilling or maybe more and a name & address tag to pin on our coats. We went to either Blackpool or Cleethorpes, the first stop was a free fish and chip dinner for everyone and then we were allowed to go our own way, with strict instruction to be back at the set time or else the coach would go without us. We headed for the big wheel, the ghost train then hit the beach for a donkey ride some candy floss and a paddle, they were great days, never any trouble and everyone got home safe, simple pleasures that we would never be able to let our kids or grandkids enjoy without keeping a close eye on them. Sad times we live in.

superCol
13-03-2004, 20:01
Originally posted by rainbow2411
I remember the club trips.

Blimey, dunnit bring back the memories. I went on the trips to Mablethorpe from the Loco club in the 60's. The ticket was 2/6 and you got 10/- spending money as well as tear-off tickets for lunch and tea. The coaches (chara's) lined up in Pye Bank Road. At the time it looked amazing even if there were only ten or twelve of them.
Must admit that I (and my younger sister) spent most of the time blowing our 10/- in the amusement arcades. But it was great fun with hardly a spot of trouble. Changed days, huh.

saxon51
13-03-2004, 20:17
And that 10/- would be about 10 today.

Timbuck
20-03-2004, 19:19
Ron Delta..I knew Ron..he was a very clever and funny entertainer and he should have been one the top comedians in Britain on theaters and Television..but whenever he went to auditions or he knew that someone from some top line agency was there to vet him the pressure used to be too much for Ron to handle, so he would have a Drink or two to steady his nerves..and this was his downfall co's he always seemed to lose his edge when he had drink...but for me, when he was in top form he could be the funniest man in the world..On or off stage he never stopped entertaining..I rememeber one night in the Dial House Club bar he was chatting away to a well known glamorous Lady vocalist in front of dozens of onlooking people ..a normal sort of thing to do if you are in the entertainment business..but the young lady was unaware that Ron's trousers were dropped round his ankles.

He had a friend called Bobby Warner (a drummer resident at the Marples six day licence Pub) who was just as mischieves as Ron and some of the exploits they performed together are ledgendary.

PaulTansley
20-03-2004, 21:00
I saw Ron Delta several times at the Pitsmoor in the 70s and he was getting on a bit then, is he still around.

Bitter Suite, Tyke, New Jersey Turnpike all top groups of the 70s, Calandar, Ohara and his playboys, Discos you could never get a seat when they were on.

Lynne Perry (Ivy Tilsley) at the Loco club.

CFS band or something who used to do ELO tunes.

Dont use the clubs anymore so cant comment on todays artists.

mikosavi
20-03-2004, 21:31
what about the balloons coming down at walkley club end of the night.

slh73
21-03-2004, 20:14
Im a member of the Arundel, still go in there occaisionally on Satuday/Sunday dinner to see my dad. I also worked the club circuit for a couple of years in the early 90s as a sound engineer for a couple of bands. Started with Steeler, who are still going today AFAIK, but with a completely different lineup, then did some work with the Bad Ass Groovers, a 70s disco band. Guitarist from Steeler is now with a band called Intanet, their keyboard player joined Powerplay, think hes still with them. Singer is now with a band called Fright Night, a Gutterband style act, all costumes and theatrics. Theres still a pretty big club scene in Sheffield, it just doesnt get talked about much.

PopT
21-03-2004, 20:28
Talking of balloons coming down.

What about the Sunday afternoon at the Crookes WMC when the balloons went up!

Someone placed a beer bottle on the stage when the stripper's back was turned.

When she turned around and saw the bottle she completely lost her temper.

She picked up the bottle and threw it with all her might into the audience and stormed off the stage.

The bottle hit an innocent drinker in the head.

The balloons certainly went up that afternoon.

fuddyduddy
25-03-2004, 21:43
Does anybody remember the decibelmeters introduced into the clubs in the early 70's . If any artist or artists volume exceeded a certain volume monitored by these machines it would cut the power on the stage for a few minutes or till the concert chairman reset it.The meters limits could be doctored, so it was rumoured if you were an artist and too loud or got on the wrong side of the chairman be prepared for some uneasy silencers.It was rumoured that Bitter Suite ripped one off the wall and through it out of the dressing room window .

tara
29-06-2004, 02:04
First saw marti caine at dial house club.
she ran a cafe at firth park before that.

Does anyone remember Ronnie Dukes and Ricki Lee.

owdlad
29-06-2004, 06:17
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Tony White, he used to work a lot of the clubs, and went on to spend a lot of time compering at the Fiesta he was a funny bloke who should have had more recognition, also we went up to Idsworth road club to see Bobby Knutt who at that time used to fill any club he worked, and there looked like being a riot when the secretary turned up the lights at 11 o'clock, but promptly turned them back down again when it looked like he would be going to the Northern General instead of home...lol....and what about the bloke who sat on the door making sure you had your affiliation card with you.

Wavey
29-06-2004, 08:00
I remember going on kids trips to Blackpool and Skeg,with my mates mom, that were arranged by the Arundel and The Park & Arbourthorne.. happy days. I don't think Blackpool or Skeg knew what had hit them. Anyone else used to go on them in the early-mid 70s.

Timbuck
29-06-2004, 10:34
The Meanest Club doorman was at Heely Club..nobody got past him who wasn't a Member, he would turn away his own relatives who lived more than 40 miles away...and I heard a rumour that the club caught fire one night and the Fire Brigade had to get a member to sign them in.

Banksia
29-06-2004, 12:11
Originally posted by Timbuck
The Meanest Club doorman was at Heely Club..nobody got past him who wasn't a Member, he would turn away his own relatives who lived more than 40 miles away...and I heard a rumour that the club caught fire one night and the Fire Brigade had to get a member to sign them in.
Your're joking of course Timbuck ? Wasn't he also the one who annouced the band by saying
" And now, for tonights entertainment we have The Don Moore Trio and his group" ?

pitsmoorlad
29-06-2004, 12:32
I remember going on the Loco WMC Club trips to Mablethorpe, and the Pitsmoor Club trips to Cleethorpes. The great thing was the Pitsmoor Club trips were on the train from Victoria Station.
The Discos ( 4 Mimes) were at the Loco every Christmas cos they lived that end of town. Also remember Liz Andrews and roundabout, Ronnie Dukes & Ricki Lee,and Robert King's All Stars. Anybody remember the Mynah Bird that they had at the Loco Club. It used to regularly stop the Bingo by shouting "House". If it was the last game, everybody would throw their tickets on the floor then scramble to find them again when the Comittee man announced it was the bird that had shouted.

mikey
29-06-2004, 12:48
By the wonders of modern technology our clubs is now online or a version of it.

http://www.sheffield.clubbers.net/

Trekker
29-06-2004, 18:25
I remember going t the old club around 57. a bag of crisp and a bottle of pop and I was happy for the rest of t night.

owdlad
29-06-2004, 18:52
aye me grandad used to try bring them for me granny and she was 62...lol

sweetdexter
30-06-2004, 00:35
Can anyone tell me how the' La Plata' [is that correct spelling?] got its name

buck
30-06-2004, 20:05
There were some bloody good old days in the late fifties and early sixties, Dancing at the City hall and the Mecca, and getting chucked out for jiving. Bike racing clubs like the Pheonix and others that did everything together including getting drunk. A pint or two at the mucky duck after a movie at the Hippodrome. Going to the Attercliffe Palace for some raunchy comedians. That's when a gourmet meal was Steak, egg, and chips, and no decent Sheffie would eat pizza cos it was "foreign". ( I love pizza.)

pitsmoorlad
01-07-2004, 10:47
Re the La Plata club. Back in the mists of time there was a "La Plata" steelworks at Malin Bridge, so the club must have been there for the benefit of the steelworkers and took it's name from the works. Like the Loco club was for the locomotive workers who worked down the road.

sweetdexter
01-07-2004, 17:06
Thanks for the info; Pitsmoorlad.
My dad was a member there in the early 50s.Even though we lived on the Parson Cross estate he and the next door neighbour would be at the club every Sunday afternoon.Not happy memories

coddy
06-07-2004, 13:16
This message for POPT. I wonder if this is the same Johnny Rivers who lives in Bewdley. Used to sing at our local when it was a proper local. Changed hands now so no such thing as live music for the last 12 months or so. Johnny would be in his 50's, used to live up the road from me but hes moved now. Cant remember his proper surname but hes an irish guy.

Alanbro
12-07-2004, 20:17
I used to go to St Philips Club.
I remember seeing Harry Bendon, one of his specialities was farting into the microphone after he'd put it down his trousers.
He would also take someone's pint off table and drink it before spitting it back into t'glass. He did some singing as well. (One to take your granny to!)
I also saw Tony Whyte a few times there and he was a scream.
Also St Philips was the first place I saw Bobby Knutt live when he was on the stand-up comedian circuit.
I'll think of some more turns and get back to you.

tosh13
13-07-2004, 07:53
Hi my Mother worked as a barmaid in the 60s at the Upper Heeley WMC & She also worked at The Queens Road Social Club in the 70s,where I met some of the then present Sheffield United Team ,Trevor Hockey etc;My dad used to live on the Manor & he used to go to the Park & Arbourthorne & The Arundel,my wifes Uncle Joe Lingard was I think the President at the Arundel in the 70s,me & my Brother Barrie were Stewards on a trip for the Park & Arbourthorne 1977 what a day kids spewing everywhere & that was just me & my brother,no really it was a laugh.

pitsmoorlad
13-07-2004, 14:30
Comedians at the clubs. Knutty, Ron Delta, Pat McCluskey, Barton Brothers, Tony Whyte, Marti Caine, Stan Richards, a weird bloke called John Paul Jones, I'm sure there's more that others can suggest.
Strippers were always called Miss X.

Wavey
13-07-2004, 14:45
Hey Tosh13.. I reckon that would have been around the time we went on the Park & Arbouthorne WMC trips.. we'd have been around 12-13ish. It was either Blackpool or Skeg. We might have been some of the spewy kids because my mate had managed to buy a couple of bottles of cider which we glugged on the beach along with the compulsary greasy fish and chips.. I'm positive it was Skeggy.

tosh13
13-07-2004, 17:40
Originally posted by Wavey
Hey Tosh13.. I reckon that would have been around the time we went on the Park & Arbouthorne WMC trips.. we'd have been around 12-13ish. It was either Blackpool or Skeg. We might have been some of the spewy kids because my mate had managed to buy a couple of bottles of cider which we glugged on the beach along with the compulsary greasy fish and chips.. I'm positive it was Skeggy. Yes mate I remember some kids were sick due to drinking cider,I hope you've been a good lad since lol

PaulTansley
16-07-2004, 20:31
The land lord at the loco club was John Broadley.
I remember the minah bird and the old geezer on the door with the cap.
the open plan stairs up to the concert room.
The trips to mablethorpe already mentioned by Col as i was always sick on the return journy because of the bottle of orange on the coach.

awoollen
20-09-2004, 16:29
Originally posted by superCol
Amazing. There were some good acts on the club circuit, then! Most of the ones that I saw where dismal. Most of the crowd were waiting for the bingo (as far as I remember). I didn't play that, rather spend my money on beer.

My mother used to like some bloke that sang a bit like Perry Como, can't remember his name. Used to turn up at the Loco Club (Woodside) about 2 or 3 times a year.

Anybody else remember the Loco Club? Or howabout that one at the bottom of Fife Street in Wincobank? What was it called? (No, not the conservative club).

Wasn't it amazing, the number of places you could get in to with a club card. Shame the birds didn't see it the same way.
wincobank a blackburn

Plain Talker
21-09-2004, 16:57
Originally posted by pitsmoorlad
Comedians at the clubs. Knutty, Ron Delta, Pat McCluskey, Barton Brothers, Tony Whyte, Marti Caine, Stan Richards, a weird bloke called John Paul Jones, I'm sure there's more that others can suggest.
Strippers were always called Miss X.

Oh, god! dont remind me about the "miss x" 's at the clubs.

Way, way back, when I was a kid, of about eight, my dad had suggested a rare treat of a family trip to the WMC, and seeing a "turn", one Sunday lunchtime.

So we brought out the "bible",:- the "Our Clubs" booklet, (published every week with the comprehensive lists of every local club, and what "turn" would be on, and when.)

I was reading through it, and pointed to one club's listing.

"Hey, Daddy!" I said. "The *insert name of club here* has Miss X on, shall we go and see her?"

Well....... you could have heard the eruption in moscow!

daddy went ballistic. no scratch that! Daddy went *Intercontinentally* ballistic.

don't understand why...

PT

whisper
22-09-2004, 15:12
me and my friend used to follow a male group called Smart Ass around all the clubs.we loved em.That was the 80's.there were some good groups around then.We saw Billy pearce a couple of times too.

katrina
24-09-2004, 12:36
Originally posted by fuddyduddy
Anyone remember The Our Clubs booklet in the sixties and seventies it held all the concert nights of the clubs in the Sheffield area.There were the big clubs :Dial House ,Smithywood,Manor,
A group could have a full diary for the year and never go out of the area there was so many.
I remember seeing Bitter Suite at the Dial House when they had the brass section,wow what a full sound when they played numbers such as "Breaking Down theWalls of Heartache" .At the
Hillfoot Club I remember the "Vantennas" coming on to the high stage such an unassuming bunch of lads far different from the pop star image of the Suite but boy what a sound they dished out from "Penny Lane" to the vocally testing "Good Vibrations".
but the group had not arrived from the Birminghamarea,Suddenly they arrived for some reason brought the gear through the audience pushing and knocking the audience about .By this time the audience had taken an intense dislike to their would be entertainers and the chairman was in two minds whether to let them on or not.Anyway by 08:30 they were on .An unusual group
who decided to utilize the clubs grand piano but adding a small keyboard of there own underneath.The keyboard player proceeded not to play but to explain to the audience that the small keyboard was called a "Mellotron" consisting of loops of tape and pressing the keys a string sound was heard this was to prove they hadn't a tape recorder under their sleeve.The audience was not impressed familiar cries of "get on with it" were
heard around the room and I feared the worst for the group.Then they at last started to play ,for all the world it sounded like Mantovani and his orchestra was up there not four lads the tune was "Theme from a Summer Place" .I looked around the room it was just like that film "The Producers" with the musical Spingtime for Hitler. Jaws dropped audience aghast.When they finished the number there was total silence then as one the audience were on there feet clapping and shouting for more ,all was forgiven Musical technology had arrived in Tinsley!!

katrina
24-09-2004, 12:46
I remember hillfoot WMC. we used to go on daytrips to cleethorpes as my father was a member. i also remember a few club turns from the late 60s. frankenstein and the munsters (Ray Stuart) who has since died. the daisies. johnnie calendar group, the O'haras playboys, the new formula. frank White Band, and many more. I also used to go to the black swan to see club acts when Terry Steeples had it and before that in 1968 to the canon hall and the warncliffe at firth park

Plain Talker
24-09-2004, 14:40
Originally posted by katrina
I remember hillfoot WMC. we used to go on daytrips to cleethorpes as my father was a member. i also remember a few club turns from the late 60s. frankenstein and the munsters (Ray Stuart) who has since died. the daisies. johnnie calendar group, the O'haras playboys, the new formula. frank White Band, and many more. I also used to go to the black swan to see club acts when Terry Steeples had it and before that in 1968 to the canon hall and the warncliffe at firth park

I thought that Ray Stuart was the brains behind 'Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kickers?' (the group who did "The Monster Mash")

I remember Ray Stuart's jingle on the radio,It used to make me smile every time I heard it

It consisted of the opening bars of "the crazy world of Arthur Brown" 's song "Hellfire!". (or "Fire" or whatever it was called)
it went

{song}" I am the god of hellfire and I bring you........."

{ordinary voice}"Ray Stuart"
PT

rocklobster
25-09-2004, 15:13
Anyone remember Octopus from the 70's.they were really heavy for working mens clubs ,but had a massive following.Used to play a lot of Yes stuff as well as there own,also brought an album out.When they packed up, the drummer joined Mungo Jerry,but the singer Paul Giggs who was the driving force behind the band changed direction completely and joined Guys and Dolls,how naff was that .

pitsmoorlad
27-09-2004, 13:47
Me and my mates used to go to the Philadelphia club to see the strippers.(at 18 you do these things). Most memorable was one who started in a cat suit, complete with tail, and near the end of the show pushed both boobs into a bowler hat and sang " I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts". The image has stayed with me all these years. Talent like that should always be appreciated.

poppins
29-09-2004, 14:15
MY DAD USE TO GO TO SHEFFIELD LANE TOP PUB, IT WAS HIS SECOND HOME, TOOK BETS FROM THERE ON THE HORSES, HAD A NICE LITTLE BUISNESS FROM THAT, TILL HE GOT CAUGHT !
THEN DEVENSHIRE ARMS BECAME HIS NEXT HOME, ONLY SAW HIM WHEN WE TOOK BOTTLES BACK, HAD TO BE 50 YEARS AGO.

Timbuck
02-10-2004, 17:05
Is there anyone who used to go to the A.E.U. Club on audition nights and see the new act's Auditioning for the Concert Sec's trying to get work on the Sheffield Club circuit..Some were awfull and some were great..I remember the club was a bit of a dump no carpets just sawdust, and beer was served with a rubber hosepipe.

desy
07-05-2005, 13:03
I use to go to Midhill club around the mid 60's and went out with one of the comittee members daughters he was Fred Widgoose and his daughter was Susan she moved somewhere on Norfolk Park I think! Seen her brother John on the odd occasion.

Plain Talker
07-05-2005, 17:16
Originally posted by desy
I use to go to Midhill club around the mid 60's

the Midhill Club is now "The Earl Marshal".

My dad used to take me and my sisters to the Midhill Club when we were younger, on a sunday lunchtime as a treat.

I also remember going to The Park and Arbourthorne Club, (the "Top Club") with my parents and grandparents.
I remember the tombola games, and how everyone used to have to be silent whilst the game was played, nad woe betide anyone who made the slightest noise "whilst t' numbers wuz bein' called! " lol

PT

frenchfrie
07-05-2005, 17:36
Ah, Halcyon days...........

My dad was concert sec at Upper Heeley WMC for a while and I spent many a happy hour in there. Started my love of ale, playing snooker downstairs, watching strippers in the concert room (while dad was on `afternoons`) etc.

Mid to late 70's also used to go to Limes, Dial House, Woodseats, Smithywood and loved it. One group who's name I can't recall sticks in mind - they did a tremendous version of Police's `Don't stand so Close to me` complete with the foxy blonde femail lead dressed a la St Triniains. Looking back perhaps it wasn't the musical qualities that made this act so memorable!

One group I do recall the name of was `The Discoes` - seemed to be on in every WMC every week, but always went down well.

jami
07-05-2005, 18:29
what about the spa club ron delta tony white JHONNY CALENDAR an old friend of mine who is still working abroad god bless him
dad was on the committe and mum worked behind the bar

GOOD TIMES WAS HAD BY ALL

Albatross
07-05-2005, 19:45
Went on holiday to Benidorm a few years back and it was like Sheffield WMC clubland. Johnny Kalendar, Lance Edwards, Big Jem from the internationals.

desy
07-05-2005, 21:05
Originally posted by Albatross
Went on holiday to Benidorm a few years back and it was like Sheffield WMC clubland. Johnny Kalendar, Lance Edwards, Big Jem from the internationals.
I'am ledv to believe that Johnny Cogin (Kalendar) is very vulgar and has a mega attitude problem now.

Not knocking Johnny use to know him when he was a kid in the days round upperthorpe decent bloke

Albatross
08-05-2005, 04:55
It wasn't as I found him. I was in a group myself and know the guys I mentioned and it was just like old times.

tosh13
08-05-2005, 09:21
Originally posted by frenchfrie
Ah, Halcyon days...........

My dad was concert sec at Upper Heeley WMC for a while and I spent many a happy hour in there. Started my love of ale, playing snooker downstairs, watching strippers in the concert room (while dad was on `afternoons`) etc.

Mid to late 70's also used to go to Limes, Dial House, Woodseats, Smithywood and loved it. One group who's name I can't recall sticks in mind - they did a tremendous version of Police's `Don't stand so Close to me` complete with the foxy blonde femail lead dressed a la St Triniains. Looking back perhaps it wasn't the musical qualities that made this act so memorable!

One group I do recall the name of was `The Discoes` - seemed to be on in every WMC every week, but always went down well.
My Mum worked behind the bar at the Upper Heely WMC In the 70s & my Dad was a regular as well.

GJ2004
12-05-2005, 18:34
I'am ledv to believe that Johnny Cogin (Kalendar) is very vulgar and has a mega attitude problem now.

my wife and i used to go out with johnny and his wife in the eighties when he lived in hiilsborogh we always found him great fun and good company we met him in benidorm about 10 years ago he was still the same

roughy101
13-05-2005, 19:54
Originally posted by Hal9001
I remember going to see Johnny Calendar Band at the Woodhouse West End WMC. Everyone was over 40 and they were singing stuff by Styx and other rock bands. They all looked bemused, but the band was very good. This was about 1980, if my memory serves me right. we go and see him at talk of the coast benidorm:clap: looking a bit weatherd now but still got a cracking voice:heyhey:

depoix
15-05-2005, 17:56
Originally posted by Timbuck
Ron Delta..I knew Ron..he was a very clever and funny entertainer and he should have been one the top comedians in Britain on theaters and Television..but whenever he went to auditions or he knew that someone from some top line agency was there to vet him the pressure used to be too much for Ron to handle, so he would have a Drink or two to steady his nerves..and this was his downfall co's he always seemed to lose his edge when he had drink...but for me, when he was in top form he could be the funniest man in the world..On or off stage he never stopped entertaining..I rememeber one night in the Dial House Club bar he was chatting away to a well known glamorous Lady vocalist in front of dozens of onlooking people ..a normal sort of thing to do if you are in the entertainment business..but the young lady was unaware that Ron's trousers were dropped round his ankles.

He had a friend called Bobby Warner (a drummer resident at the Marples six day licence Pub) who was just as mischieves as Ron and some of the exploits they performed together are ledgendary. bobby is still around,goes in the masons ,infirmary road,used to live near him on kelvin flats

deelightful3
24-05-2005, 12:25
just heard that the dial house club is locking its doors for the last time next friday.

desy
24-05-2005, 12:44
Have they finally decided they are going to build on the land. Suprised there hasn't been another outburst. Similar to when planning application was turned down last year.

deelightful3
24-05-2005, 12:54
not sure what the plans are,that is all i know at the moment,but will post again if i find anything out.

arrodbo
24-05-2005, 14:16
me and my then girlfriend would queue outside dial house on a sunday for an hour before the doors opened to see people likefreddie and the dreamers, blue harmony boys and my favourites john o hara and the playboys. I saw John 2 years ago in sheffs and he is turned sixty but looked and sounded very well.Also another fav was TONY WHYTE who dressed immaculatley and may have been gay before the term gay came into fashion.

Timbuck
27-05-2005, 17:19
heard around the room and I feared the worst for the group.Then they at last started to play ,for all the world it sounded like Mantovani and his orchestra was up there not four lads the tune was "Theme from a Summer Place" .I looked around the room it was just like that film "The Producers" with the musical Spingtime for Hitler. Jaws dropped audience aghast.When they finished the number there was total silence then as one the audience were on there feet clapping and shouting for more ,all was forgiven Musical technology had arrived in Tinsley!! I have dug up a few old "Our Clubs" booklets from the 70's, the oldest is dated May Sixth 1970 # 2010...If anyone wants to know who was on at your Club that week, I'll let you know.
My Club was "Shiregreen W.M." the acts that week were.. Thursday May 7th "Terence Mc Ewen", "Colin Price" and Miss "X", Friday. "Terry Rodgers" and "Les and Kay Collins", Sat and Sunday, "Barry Noble and the Classics", and Miss "Shirley" Noon only, Monday"The New Sandras" plus "John" on the Organ and "Charlie on the drums".

deelightful3
28-05-2005, 05:23
dial house not now closing,well not this week anyway,dont know what they are playing at they are running the club into the ground,such a shame as well.

Highnote
28-05-2005, 15:05
I used to be a member of the Manor Social where my Grandad was life member,he had been a member before WW2 and Saturday night Sunday noon and night was always there at the same table in the Concert Room,and before the war the "Manor" was just a small building,and then the Concert Room was built and my Dad said the Concert Room was built with the profit from the beer my Grandad drank over the years,and when I was doing my National Service I was home on leave so I went to see my Grandad one Sunday lunchtime, knowing he would be there,I was not a member then so the doorman knowing who I was signed me in and I paid the penny(old penny),knowing where Grandad sat I joined his party he ordered me a pint and asked me how had I got in,so I told him,Stan the doorman had signed me in,I paid the penny and received the Visitors chit,at this one of my Grandads mates a committeeman jumped up and went out of the room,returning a few minutes later putting a penny in front of me,saying"We do not charge members of his Majestys forces to come in this club"

tosh13
28-05-2005, 18:04
Hi Harlan do you remember a family called the Siddall's.

Highnote
29-05-2005, 09:09
Hello Tosh13,The only Siddall Family I knew used to deliver milk to my Mum

Gingerbarf
29-05-2005, 09:21
went to manor social last week to see my father & Grandfather they like your's always sit at same table in concert room (the one in the corner next to ladies) it was great an old friend of our's won a grand on open the box..
i used to love going in with my dad on a saturday lunch watching him play snooker (well try)..
he would send us to garage next door for some pop & crisp because it was cheaper than at bar, but thats now a car wash

tosh13
29-05-2005, 10:10
Originally posted by Harlan
Hello Tosh13,The only Siddall Family I knew used to deliver milk to my Mum
I do not know if any of my family did that,but all my family come from the Manor & they went into the 3 local clubs Manor,PA,Arundel.

desy
30-05-2005, 19:48
Have you seen tonight in the STAR about Dial House Club. Doesn't seem to have long left

Gingerbarf
13-06-2005, 19:24
Originally posted by tosh13
Hi Harlan do you remember a family called the Siddall's.

was talking to my father yesterday in Manor club he knows a Kieth and Jimmy Sidall he says there about another half a dozen too!

are these the same ones Tosh13??

deelightful3
13-06-2005, 20:15
ive now heard it will be august when the dial house shuts

roughy101
14-06-2005, 11:03
Originally posted by deelightful3
ive now heard it will be august when the dial house shuts the dial will only close if plannng permission is allowed,bar 24 are only allowing it to keep open until that happens(if it happens)the problem is the damage is already being done, with all the threats,if the club closes the company know the council will grant permission rather than have an empty building open to vandalism etc.

gillmarx
14-06-2005, 15:46
used to go in the arundel club when i was younger my dad frank was the drummer there for almost 45 years does anyone remember green carnation they won the clubland award god knows how many times along with mainstream, it used to be a battle of the two bands every year to see who was going to win. there was also a duo that used to be there on a regular basis the guy played guitar very much like hank marvin(shadows) she dressed up in silly outfits one more offten than others a babys nappy & bonnet but their name fails me a the moment.

Gingerbarf
14-06-2005, 17:49
Originally posted by gillmarx
used to go in the arundel club when i was younger my dad frank was the drummer there for almost 45 years does anyone remember green carnation they won the clubland award god knows how many times along with mainstream, it used to be a battle of the two bands every year to see who was going to win. there was also a duo that used to be there on a regular basis the guy played guitar very much like hank marvin(shadows) she dressed up in silly outfits one more offten than others a babys nappy & bonnet but their name fails me a the moment.
The Duo you are talking about sounds like a pair that played regular at the Foxwood about five years ago called "Fresh Dawn"

And trust me she wasn't called Dawn & she deffinitely NOT FRESH!!

tosh13
15-06-2005, 11:40
Originally posted by gillmarx
My wifes Uncle was President for years,Joe Lingard.

kingfisher
16-06-2005, 14:37
Does anyone remember the Central Labour Club on West St.and the Trades Club just off Cambridge St,boith were very popular during the war years

Highnote
16-06-2005, 14:53
Yes I remember the Central Labour Club very well,my father was member of Ecclesall Non-Polictical Club before the war but joined the Central Labour club because it was nearer to where we lived(Upper Hanover St) when the air raids stated,it was accessed by a stone stairway if I remember, and us kids used to play on those stairs,the drummer was time served in the Army as a musician and on special occasions would put on his red tunic with all the buttons and badges,and it was from him I learned that even drummers read music!
The Trades Hall is also remembered my Dad used to call it the"Coffin Club because the main concert room was shaped like a coffin

awoollen
17-06-2005, 08:48
Originally posted by superCol

wincobank -blackburn

tosh13
30-06-2005, 19:13
Originally posted by Gingerbarf
was talking to my father yesterday in Manor club he knows a Kieth and Jimmy Sidall he says there about another half a dozen too!

are these the same ones Tosh13??
Hi G no my family,were Ray,Jack ,Sam,Beatty etc.Ray used to be on the committee at the Park & Arbourthorne .Jack was my Dad.

scout
01-09-2005, 13:27
Does anyonr remember Elaine and Jonny Jackson on the club circuit? I remember Ronnie Dukes and Rikki Lee. They were friends of my mum and dad. I used to enjoy club life but when I met my husband well it wasn't really his thing but we did go and see Bobby Knutt and Elaine and Johnny Jackson at the Dial. My husband actually proposed t me under the clock in the Dial. We had gone to see Bobby Knutt then that was in 1974!

Sandy_L
02-09-2005, 00:27
Hey Tosh

I remember Joe Lingard very well, he was a very nice man and such a charmer to the ladies. A good laugh and I was very sorry when he died.

I still go in the Arundel to this day (I'm mid 40's) it's still my local,how sad am I.

Sandy_L
02-09-2005, 00:28
Me again.......... lol

I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that Jonny Calendar will be palying at the Arundel in the near future.

hazel
02-09-2005, 08:01
My Dad ran the football team at Queens Rd Social Club in the late 50's, when he died the young men in the football team turned up at my Mom's house on the Foxwood estate and insisted on carrying his cofffin, walking slowly from her house to the cemetry at Intake.
hazel

tosh13
02-09-2005, 08:45
Originally posted by Sandy_L
Hey Tosh

I remember Joe Lingard very well, he was a very nice man and such a charmer to the ladies. A good laugh and I was very sorry when he died.

I still go in the Arundel to this day (I'm mid 40's) it's still my local,how sad am I.
You might know my wife,her dad was Charlie Lingard & yes Joe was a nice bloke.

tosh13
02-09-2005, 08:47
Originally posted by hazel
My Dad ran the football team at Queens Rd Social Club in the late 50's, when he died the young men in the football team turned up at my Mom's house on the Foxwood estate and insisted on carrying his cofffin, walking slowly from her house to the cemetry at Intake.
hazel
My Mum worked at the Queens Rd club behind the bar in the late 60s early 70s

hazel
02-09-2005, 09:34
My Dad died in 1962, so the dates wouldn't be the same.
I don't think my Mom went back to the club afterwards , but think my dads brothers went there, she perhaps remembers them. Their name was Strickland.

hazel

tosh13
02-09-2005, 17:19
My mum died in 1977 aged 52 & I remember the corridor at the Queens Road SC it was cold even in the summer & me & my younger brother & sister used to go down to the bottom to watch the old guys playing at snooker,the name Strickland sounds familiar,we were from Heeley.

DarthAda
04-09-2005, 15:34
.yes I thinnk the fella's name was Albert Strickland. I also remember that long cold corridor and one day my dad and me cleaned it frim top to bottom.

tosh13
04-09-2005, 18:53
Well D I feel sorry for you it was a dirty dingy old place.But we had fun there running up & down the corridor ,had too to keep warm in the winter LOL.I have fond memories of the Queens rd SC when Trevor Hockey & some of the other Utd players came in & TH said in 1971-72 that he wish his Dad had been alive too see him play in the top flight,he had a cracking beard & he asked my 9 yrs old sister for a kiss & she ran off down the corridor screaming ,everyone had a big laugh.

davep
04-09-2005, 23:02
The Discoes are alive and kicking, but don't do their stuff anymore, they are now known as the Cee Bee Variety Agency and their premises are in the right hand end of the Queens Road WMC

hotdogbird
05-09-2005, 00:12
go and use your local wmc's
the beers cheap! the entertainment is still there! and so is the bloody bingo,
as a solo act myself, i've got to admit I dread doing gigs in Sheffield even though I'm on home territory. The audiences around Manor social club or The foxwood don't know how to clap at the end of a song only how to cheer at the end of the night when they've drank way too many!
haha, we've all gotta earn a living somehow tho!:clap:

fuddyduddy
06-09-2005, 20:17
Yeh reminds me of the late sixties early seventies when artistes came down from the North East to play our clubs .After the 1st spot coming off to a clapless finale they were ready to pack it in , but into the dressing room came the chairman face beaming saying "your going down well tonight lads". "You must be joking" said a disenchanted artiste "we died out there" ." Oh no" said the chairman "They never clap ,but if they didn't like you they would certainly let you know"

Albatross
07-09-2005, 04:40
I used to play in a group and it was always said among the groups that if you could make it in Sheffield clubs you could make it anywhere as the audiences there were the toughest around.

scout
07-09-2005, 15:47
Tosh do you remember sitting on that cold corridor when the doors were shut and the only way to see into the concert room was throught the hole in the door? Folks used to complain if the door was opened in winter because there was a draught.

tosh13
07-09-2005, 16:35
Yes Scout I remember it well,it was cold in there even in the summer,but we had a laugh at the turns,when they came on we used to boo through the hole,it was funny to see them looking around to see who were booing them.

scout
10-09-2005, 23:11
We must have met each other at some time. I used to go there from 1963 to 1974 I suppose. When were you around. My dad was 'on the committee' at one time, Johnny Proctor was his name, maybe your parents remember him?

tosh13
11-09-2005, 10:26
My Mum passed away in 1977 & my Dad 1990,my Mum worked behind the Bar as said & my Dad was a regular,so they probably knew your Dad,but sadly I cannot find out.

3dogman
11-09-2005, 19:35
Hi for my sins I'm a life member of Hartley House social club, joined at 18 in 1971. Before that used to go in with my grandad when I was about 12. Seen some popular acts there in the seventies, Charlie Brown, Duggie Brown and Joe Longthorne when he was just starting out. My grandads brother was on the comittee in the early seventies his name was Charlie Pearson. My stepdad was also a member he used to collect glasses now and then his name was Bill Ward, they reckon he used to have a pint in every room. Once or twice went to the Shiregreen WMC to see the strippers on a thursday night (not a pretty sight some times). Don't go that much now as I live in Rotherham, keep paying my subs though. Been on quite a few day trips when I was a kid mostly Cleethorpes and Mablethorpe. I preferred the club before they modernised it a few years ago. :thumbsup:

Keanaz
30-09-2005, 20:08
there were a group of Sheffield bus drivers who used to do the circuit - they were "drag" artists that mined to music also used to dress up as allsorts and mine to all the latest bits of music coppled together and put on a tape and played in the background.
Anyone shed any light?

Sandy_L
07-10-2005, 19:20
Do you mean the Discoes? The opening act was Bridget the midget.

Keanaz
08-10-2005, 08:54
Yeah that was them, my uncle was part of that, they were hilarous

davep
08-10-2005, 19:35
The Discoes are alive and kicking, but don't do their stuff anymore, they are now known as the Cee Bee Variety Agency and their premises are in the left hand end of the Queens Road WMC

As previously mentioned.

Foxprom
15-11-2005, 16:32
3 dog man was your grandad the doorman at hartley house club all those years ago, when Bill was glass collecting and you went on all those trips.

Bartonk
19-11-2005, 01:47
Iwas a member of Southey club in the 60/70's. spent most of my time in the billiard room with my dad Sid Barton and brother Roy and my mom, Bett, had her own seat just by the window. Remember names like Cyril ? and Arthur Ball and Tommy Bingley and his brother Mel. Proposed to my wife going up the stairs to the billiard room - married 33 years now.......

happy times......

Foxprom
05-12-2005, 12:41
Originally posted by Heeleylass
why hasn't anyone mentioned bands on the circuit 1980's?The Internationals,who's lead singer "Neil" is still doing the rounds with The Gutterband.Radiation(Electro-pop/Bowie/John Foxx)all theatrical stage show.Dragonfly,dressed as child's nursery characters 1st half(Postman Pat etc..)excellent singer Paul & co.Toys for Girls,a bit like Radiation.Good grief I spent nearly all my life blagging my way into club's to see these acts,because "It's members only love" & conning some poor bloke outside(couldn't do it today)to take me & a mate in as guest!!!

trying to find some info out about one of the acts mentioned here, we followed the Ints around for a while and whilst reminicing the other night the curent mrs foxprom said to me i wonder if anyone everr had a video of them.
Anybody who may ahve or knows who may have let me know.

Yellowrose
05-12-2005, 14:00
Does anybody remember the old Greasbrough Club near Rotherham in the 60's . It was a hybrid cross between a W.M.C and a theatre.What a night out ,4 or 5 acts on all good with star acts such as Tommy Cooper,The Shadows and Gerry and the Pacemakers.I once saw an elephant on stage and all for a token entrance fee. Just 3 games of bingo were run off very quickly because there entertainment was king not bingo.Do you remember the little bar in the corner which was hoplessly inadequate sometimes the queues to the bar stretched the full length of the concert room and everybody was buying 2 pints at a time because of that. By the way the elephant was very good,Tanya I think they called her.

Only just seen this post. I was taken to the Greasbrough Club as a child to see Freddy and the Dreamers and Gerry and the Pacemakers, amongst others.

I also used to go on club trips, and our club also had an annual panto trip and a weekend in blackpool to see the lights, both of which I went to. BTW This was Ryecroft WMC Rawmarsh, our family went there for generations, and my grandma was president of the ladies section for many years.

But I might add that as an adult I have never set foot in a working mens club. There is a club on our road, Beighton Social Club, and on Friday and Saturday evenings I often hear the "turns" and they sound OK! But I havent been in there yet... nor do I know anyone who goes. Anyone know it?

Albatross
05-12-2005, 20:37
Originally posted by Foxprom
trying to find some info out about one of the acts mentioned here, we followed the Ints around for a while and whilst reminicing the other night the curent mrs foxprom said to me i wonder if anyone everr had a video of them.

The Internationals went out as a soul band with a new singer for a few years after Neil left .
Jem who was bass player is now living in Benidorm and goes out as a standup comic.
Radiation split up and some of them moved abroad some formed groups n duo's in and around Sheffield..
There's a vid of the Internationals (soul band) knocking about used to have it.

ozgirl
06-12-2005, 13:17
Does anyone remember a group that did wmc circuit in the late sixties early seventies called penny's profile my ex husband used play the organ and guitar in the group they did the clubs with Marti Caine, bobby Knutt, &Duggie Brown

docmel
06-12-2005, 17:58
There was a great band doing the clubs in the early seventies.

They did brilliant cover versions of the current hits. They were a reformation of a group called the 'Wolves' (cus a few of them iriginally came from Wolverhampton)

I forget their name now but it was "New *******"

Anyone remember them?

desy
06-12-2005, 19:20
Originally posted by docmel
There was a great band doing the clubs in the early seventies.

They did brilliant cover versions of the current hits. They were a reformation of a group called the 'Wolves' (cus a few of them iriginally came from Wolverhampton)

I forget their name now but it was "New *******"

Anyone remember them?

New Jersey Turnpike, then Quince Harmon (when they did the music for the On the Buses Films). Now back as Reunited.

Also Bitter Suite they have reformed and back on the clubs , also known under the name of The Phil Brodie Band previous to that.

Little_Alex
06-12-2005, 20:21
Originally posted by Foxprom

docmel
06-12-2005, 20:28
New Jersey Turnpike, then Quince Harmon (when they did the music for the On the Buses Films). Now back as Reunited.

Thanks Desy!!

New Jersey Turnpike!! - I got to know Ros who was the guitarist aorund 1977 - great guy

desy
07-12-2005, 05:42
Don't know if Ross is in the latest line up I think he stayed down south . But Pete and Ivan are.

While we are on the subject of clubland bands. Knowing that you lived of Crookesmoor Road. Do you remember Johnny Cogin that lived just down the road in Addy Street. Now known or stage name Johnny Kalendar has arrived back in this country.

docmel
07-12-2005, 10:09
Desy

Knew Johnny Kalendar - I think.

I used to go to St Phillips WMC and Walkley WMC so probably saw him there - but never knew he lived on Addy Street!

desy
07-12-2005, 11:36
Think he lived on the opposite side of the road from Cross Addy Street. To the right hand side of the next entry down. Prob between 9-11yrs when I knew him.Think he knocked around with Trevor Dawson.

SheShe
07-12-2005, 15:14
Originally posted by Hal9001
I remember going to see Johnny Calendar Band at the Woodhouse West End WMC. Everyone was over 40 and they were singing stuff by Styx and other rock bands. They all looked bemused, but the band was very good. This was about 1980, if my memory serves me right.
We went to Benidoem a couple of years back and who was on at one the local pubs? Yep our johnny. I saw in the Mercury (the paper that now has club life in it) that he's back in Sheffield

hotdogbird
07-12-2005, 15:25
Originally posted by Albatross
The Internationals went out as a soul band with a new singer for a few years after Neil left .
Jem who was bass player is now living in Benidorm and goes out as a standup comic.
Radiation split up and some of them moved abroad some formed groups n duo's in and around Sheffield..
There's a vid of the Internationals (soul band) knocking about used to have it.

Alistair from radiation now lives in south africa. He was home and in meadowhall last month talking about the good life out there. His brother mega (bass player) still lives in sheffield.
Does anyone remember Team 84 and Mad jacks travelling circus?
I've a picture of jem and lance edwards recently taken on a trip back from benidorm. if anyone wants to see it pm me.

clarkie12000
15-01-2006, 13:41
Don't remember the Old greasbrough club but I have been told about it. I was talking to a man last night who claims that even marily monroe sang there. Not sure how true it is? anyone know?

fuddyduddy
15-01-2006, 21:21
Sorry to disappoint ,but your friend was probably talking about matt monroe.

jauntyone
02-04-2006, 22:09
I was a member of St Phillips Club, I think it is called Radford Street club now.

I remember the our club book, use to get it to see what was on in all the clubs.

I remember the club trips, used to go on the Broadfiled road club trip and the upper heeley club trip,they were good trips and we got 7shillings and sixpence to spend at good old skeggy. we also got crisps and pop on the coach. Happy day's

Eleke95
05-09-2006, 12:57
Well, I can't believe no-ones mentioned the good old Attercliffe Rads! I spent most of my childhood in there very saturday night(sometimes sunday). I went there all through the 70's and early 80's til it closed (sad day that was). I can remember the 'turns'. especially the 'discoes'. They were great and the memory of them still makes me smile some 30 years on. One memory that stands out is sitting in the 'bottom lounge' with all the other kids. They had space invaders etc and a pool table and all the kids used to congregate in there while the bingo was on! I can remember Stan and Doreen behind the bar and Cecil on the organ and craig on the drums! Them were the days!

buck
05-09-2006, 15:40
When I was a young sailor back in the fifties, and army pal of mine, also on leave, were near broke so decided to go into the Broadfield working men's club for a pint. The clubs always welcomed servicemen in those days and in no time we had more free beer in front of us than we really needed. Toward the end of the evening my round navy cap disappeared, and I though it had been stolen. It came back to me stuffed with pound notes for us to share. We had honestly not gone in for the purpose of mlikng a pint or to, but that the beer would be cheap and the company good. My Dad was a lifelong member of working Men's clubs, and I'm proud of them.

Jumps
09-09-2006, 14:24
i remember ron delta,my dad was the drummer at tinsley club,also the 4 mimes,who became the disos when rex died,ive seen some very good club turns.can anyone remember the club trips too?:)

OMG-Rex did not die-he is still fit and strong-It was his brother who died.
Rex is one of my best mates dad, he is enjoying his retirement.

tosh13
09-09-2006, 18:02
I was a member of St Phillips Club, I think it is called Radford Street club now.

I remember the our club book, use to get it to see what was on in all the clubs.

I remember the club trips, used to go on the Broadfiled road club trip and the upper heeley club trip,they were good trips and we got 7shillings and sixpence to spend at good old skeggy. we also got crisps and pop on the coach. Happy day's
My Mum worked behind the bar at the Upper Heeley WMC in the early 70s & my Dad was a member until we left due to rehousing.

Nigel Womersle
10-09-2006, 23:32

I remember seeing Mike Sarne of Come Outside fame there.

shelby46
11-09-2006, 00:12

I used to go on the Skeggy trips with the Limes club and the Attercliffe Libs.We thought it was great geting the pop and crisps, and the ten bob note! After that my dad became a roadie for a group called Sue Darrel Four, who toured all the clubs. I loved going with them. Now my partner is with a band, but used to tour Sheffield with a band called Summer Nights. (Strange howover the years the acts became bands instead of groups!) Maybe I am addicted to clubs - sad or what?

mikeh
03-10-2006, 20:47
Elaine and Johnny were good friends of mine and I would work the odd weekend with them in between clubs but Johnny brilliant as he was making up routines got us into more scrapes(exiting from the club in disguise ) cos he had told some one to''leave "!!! elaine bless her had a tough life ..people thought they were married or related ..not true either way.

mikeh
03-10-2006, 20:56
smee again,I just realised what qr stands for !!duh

anniexxx
03-10-2006, 22:52
wincobank and blackburn working mens club and it shut 2 months ago after all this time to be demolished and built on an end of another era .... i saw marti kane there she was hilarious......

anniexxx
03-10-2006, 22:57
Ricki and Ronnie Dukes lived at brinsworth and the gates to the drive were made up of musical notes ....

desy
04-10-2006, 07:25
Remember the Midhill Club. First time stripper could not unfasten her bra. Then fell off the stage taking her knickers off getting her feet tangled up.

teebee
04-10-2006, 10:13
Me mam worked behind the bar at the Gatefield on abbeydale road, and me dad was on the comittee. i can remember being dragged in on a saturday night, and having to be dead quite cos bingo was on.

Janner
26-10-2006, 21:06
The Lane Top Shiregreen working mans club, as a small child I remember it was just a cottage, I played on the foundations of the new club which was completed about 1937 or so. I do know that during a blitz a bomb dropped only yards from the club . Not a window was broken the bomb plunged deep into the wet clay and apart from covering everything in mud, no damage was done.

lolalola
26-10-2006, 22:38
Well, I can't believe no-ones mentioned the good old Attercliffe Rads! I spent most of my childhood in there very saturday night(sometimes sunday). I went there all through the 70's and early 80's til it closed (sad day that was). I can remember the 'turns'. especially the 'discoes'. They were great and the memory of them still makes me smile some 30 years on. One memory that stands out is sitting in the 'bottom lounge' with all the other kids. They had space invaders etc and a pool table and all the kids used to congregate in there while the bingo was on! I can remember Stan and Doreen behind the bar and Cecil on the organ and craig on the drums! Them were the days!
As a kid we went to Grimesthorpe club, can't remember any of the acts other than the Disco's, I was too young. Unfortunately that club went. In the late 80's early 90's I used to go to Idsworth Road club. I'm sure Stan and Doreen were the stewards there aswell. The disco's were always popular still but I remember a group called The Linnekers. They consisted of the father who sang with his 2 sons. I loved them and they always filled the club, (really fancied one of them). Anyone else remember them??

By the way The Gutterband are playing at the Victoria Tavern in Withernsea on 3rd Nov. Couldn't believe it when I saw the poster, thought they'd finished years ago.

Gemini2
27-10-2006, 16:42
My dad & uncles were all members of Grimesthorpe W.M.C., and went there for years serving as Committee members at one time, (Not at the same time). My uncle Tom used to go dancing there (ballroom) but whether that in the 40s or not I will have to find out. I really used to enjoy the club trips to Skeggy, I can still remember the thrill of getting a bag of goodies & the spending money, oh happy days.

lolalola
27-10-2006, 18:23
My dad & uncles were all members of Grimesthorpe W.M.C., and went there for years serving as Committee members at one time, (Not at the same time). My uncle Tom used to go dancing there (ballroom) but whether that in the 40s or not I will have to find out. I really used to enjoy the club trips to Skeggy, I can still remember the thrill of getting a bag of goodies & the spending money, oh happy days.
Hi, I remember going to ballroom dancing in Grimesthorpe club, I was only young but I remember they used to do spot dances where the music stopped and you won a prize if the light was on you.

Gemini2
27-10-2006, 19:00
When would that be lola, my uncle has been dead at least15 years. Will have to ask Geotom if he can remember.

lolalola
27-10-2006, 19:56
Hi, think it must have been late 70's very early 80's. I remember Harry Williamson taught me how to waltz and we used to try and win the prizes.

skippy
28-10-2006, 01:39
I was very sad to see that Grimesthorpe club had been turned into some kind of hostel when I last visited the Old Dart in 92, we were regulars there from 1965 to 70

Gemini2
28-10-2006, 10:44
hi lola, I left sheffield in 64, so I don't know if Uncle Tom still went then. I can't remember the name of the street he lived on, I know it was the first turning left, (as you came up Grimesthorpe Rd) then 1st. turning on your right. His name was Clarke. We should continue this on the Grimesthorpe link someone else may remember him.

Diamondsmile
05-11-2006, 15:26
By the way The Gutterband are playing at the Victoria Tavern in Withernsea on 3rd Nov. Couldn't believe it when I saw the poster, thought they'd finished years ago.

Hi Lolalola..

There are now two Gutterbands on the circuit. One called The Gutterband and the other The World Famous Gutterband both working independantly. Ive seen both and both are really good... they are similar to the original show but both have differences. They both have good websites if you want to check em out!!

katerina
05-11-2006, 16:18
My Mum and Dad used to go in all the clubs in Attercliffe, Attercliffe Rads, liberal. Darnall Aquaduct.There was a conservative club near the Broughton Inn. Remember Tony Whyte, Lynn Perrie (later coronation st) Ricky Lee used to shop at Banners sometimes. Toni Dalli (he now runs a posh restaurant near to where I live and drives a Ferrari!)

After she was widowed my Mum worked for years at Manor Social Club (until she died at 75!) She loved it.

frankkettell
06-11-2006, 02:33
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Tony White, he used to work a lot of the clubs, and went on to spend a lot of time compering at the Fiesta he was a funny bloke who should have had more recognition, also we went up to Idsworth road club to see Bobby Knutt who at that time used to fill any club he worked, and there looked like being a riot when the secretary turned up the lights at 11 o'clock, but promptly turned them back down again when it looked like he would be going to the Northern General instead of home...lol....and what about the bloke who sat on the door making sure you had your affiliation card with you.

In 1955 when I was18, I was in the Rads with my mates and I was wearing my RAF uniform. We had gone to see Tony White, he was a great singer, he must have spotted my uniform and he sang to me, " Who will be my Jimmy Unknown". You can imagin the response from the lads in those days. Had a great night, Frank

atlex48
06-11-2006, 09:09
Does anyone remember the "Tinsley Park" Club that stood in between Shepcote Lane and Ranskill road ( where Otou Kumpo is now ). My dad was on the committee there and we used to go on their annual trips, mainly to Cleethorpes or Mablethorpe. Speaking of club acts, does anyone remember " The Dallas boy's" Also thinking about it, when I was in my twenty's, I went to the Tinsley club one friday night to see a group called the " John Miles set" they were brilliant and a few weeks later got a record into the charts called " Music was my first Love" ( I think it may have reached at least number three )

mikeh
06-11-2006, 15:59
Does anyone remember the "Tinsley Park" Club that stood in between Shepcote Lane and Ranskill road ( where Otou Kumpo is now ). My dad was on the committee there and we used to go on their annual trips, mainly to Cleethorpes or Mablethorpe. Speaking of club acts, does anyone remember " The Dallas boy's" Also thinking about it, when I was in my twenty's, I went to the Tinsley club one friday night to see a group called the " John Miles set" they were brilliant and a few weeks later got a record into the charts called " Music was my first Love" ( I think it may have reached at least number three )
I was resident drummer there with Iris Ward for a couple of years.I remember them booking some great shows..and packing the place.happy days.

sharkw
06-11-2006, 16:54
Are you sure it was iris ward MikeH ?

mikeh
06-11-2006, 18:40
Are you sure it was iris ward MikeH ?
definately..tommy ball was chairman,mick ??? steward.I think Iris is still alive ..ask her .I left there to go to the Aquarius in Chesterfield and\radio sheffield.

toptourist
24-11-2006, 14:41
Hi there Tosh, this is toptourist from Perth Western Aust. My aunt and uncle used to run the Upper Heeley, when did your Mum work there/ I wonder if they know each other ??????

Hi my Mother worked as a barmaid in the 60s at the Upper Heeley WMC & She also worked at The Queens Road Social Club in the 70s,where I met some of the then present Sheffield United Team ,Trevor Hockey etc;My dad used to live on the Manor & he used to go to the Park & Arbourthorne & The Arundel,my wifes Uncle Joe Lingard was I think the President at the Arundel in the 70s,me & my Brother Barrie were Stewards on a trip for the Park & Arbourthorne 1977 what a day kids spewing everywhere & that was just me & my brother,no really it was a laugh.

toptourist
07-12-2006, 11:46
Ask your Dad if he knew my Aunt and Uncle, Derrick and Shirley Uncle Derrick passed away a few years ago now but I caught up with Aunty when i was over in the UK in 2003. I remember staying there a couple of times and how excited i flet staying in a club. Funny how little things excite us as kids hey?Ah, Halcyon days...........