View Full Version : How much can I earn while I'm claiming the Dole?

Trip secrets
19-08-2009, 14:18
How much can I earn part time without blowing my benefit allowances right out of the water?

MZ2832
19-08-2009, 18:11
It's complicated.

I believe you can work on a part-time basis but it has to be less than 16 hours a week (15 hours 59 seconds max.). You will still have to declare your earnings when you sign and you may have deductions from your Job Seekers Allowance.

The government is wanting to incentivise lone parents by allowing them to work over 16 hours - so different rules apply.

Best ask what the current rules are, and how they would apply to you, at Jobcentre Plus office.

Rageness
20-08-2009, 00:38
a Few years ago When I was signing on for a short period the rule was you could work 16 hours a week without a pay cap. I worked security at 10 and our while signing on. Bit silly to be honest

plato
20-08-2009, 11:55
You can do part time work up to 16 hours a week.

The money you earn from your part time job will be deducted from your JSA, apart from the first 5.00

You will need to fill in a B7 form at the Jobcentre if you start p/t work

paul689
26-08-2009, 21:15
You can do part time work up to 16 hours a week.

The money you earn from your part time job will be deducted from your JSA, apart from the first 5.00

You will need to fill in a B7 form at the Jobcentre if you start p/t work

its 20 for the week and then they take of any after that

The Mush
31-08-2009, 22:50
It depends on your circumstances - if you are single, just claiming for yourself then it is only a 5 disregard and they will deduct anything over this from your JSA. And you can't work more than 16 hours regardless of your circumstances or what benefit you are on.

andco
23-09-2009, 09:51
and you need to pay your out of pocket expenses yourself and then reclaim them because if the employer/client pays expenses up front it'll also be treated as income.

shankle
23-09-2009, 12:46
get a fiddle job and dont let them know about it ;)

freddyfarang
26-09-2009, 00:01

lol - was waiting for someone to say that :hihi:

gd100
02-10-2009, 10:17
Think you can work upto 16 hours and still be entittled to JSA anymore hours than that and you loose entitlement. Try having a look on direct.gov.uk for more info

Cyclone
02-10-2009, 10:25

Or get a full time job and stop claiming.

Keith Rich
03-10-2009, 10:13

And why not. Many policitians fiddle thousands while already being millionnaires.

jrover
04-10-2009, 22:25
i think its 16hrs max.

marmalademoo
05-10-2009, 21:50
It's a waste of time, they only let you keep the first 5 of your benefit. Best just staying on it until you find a full time job

retired
07-10-2009, 18:26
What about housing benefit? Do you still get it if say you work less than 16hrs?

marmalademoo
08-10-2009, 11:04
What about housing benefit? Do you still get it if say you work less than 16hrs?

housing benefit shouldn't be affected but you will need to tell the council about any changes.

babybluejojo
09-10-2009, 21:03
I was on what was called "Permitted Work". I was claiming Income Support while working a short amount of hours (under 16). I used this as a stepping stone until I was able to work over 16hrs and come off benefits. I believe that if you are claiming JSA the disregard limit is 5 pw and anything earnt above that is taken off your benefit. As I was on IS due to disability (I was really classed as Incapacity Benefit but as I had not made enough contributions I was not entitled to IB) I was able to earn 20 a week but anything above that was taken off my benefit. So I was only 20 a week better off.

If you are on IS - even if you only recieve 1 penny of it - you are still entitled to full housing benefit and council tax benefit. I am not sure how this affects JSA and you would have to talk to HB/CTB people to find out. It is possible that this will not be affected! But I assure you please please please tell them of any changes or else you could be in BIG trouble! Honesty is the best policy even if it don't seem fair at the time coz if you are not then things could come back and bite you on the bum and you be worse off than ever!

BrettNBeth
11-10-2009, 12:16
I enquired at the Job Centre a couple of weeks ago & the answer is you must work less than 16 hours a week and they disregard the first 5 and stop the rest from your benefit!

babybluejojo
11-10-2009, 20:30
The 5 disregard is for some benefits and for others it is 20 it is dependant what benefits you are on.

partypixie
17-10-2009, 21:33
its not dependent on what benefits its dependent on your circumstances.for example a single person on JSA has a 5 disregard - a lone parent on either JSA or Income Support has a 20 disregard - same for someone on Incapacity with certain premiums - whatever you do though it's a lot of arsing about having to send in wage slips which can delay your payments if they don't get processed/recieved in time. definitley can't work over 15 hours per week on any benefit and yes if you get just one penny JSA/I.S/ESA you willkeep housing and council tax benefit and free prescriptions etc

CT4UChris
17-10-2009, 21:46
I can confirm, like most others above, if you are classed as single cliamant on JSA, it is no more than 16hrs/wk for amount of time worked and you can earn 5 before they deduct (pound for pound) any further income from your JSA.

Forumosaurus
17-10-2009, 22:24
No one should be on the dole, there's plenty of jobs out there, there's hundreds on the jobcentre site in sheffield. You just want to be greedy, earn as much as you can whilst still scrounging off the state.

HarryBustard
19-10-2009, 09:46
No one should be on the dole, there's plenty of jobs out there, there's hundreds on the jobcentre site in sheffield. You just want to be greedy, earn as much as you can whilst still scrounging off the state.

You're somewhat off-topic but need to be told that you are wrong. The last figures I read showed there were 400,000 jobs going and unemployment stood at 2.47 Million. So, that's just over two million who would still be on the scrap heap if those jobs were filled tomorrow. Greed is hardly the case as I can envisage few in their right mind working any less than twenty hours a week if they were getting National Minimum Wage (5.80 an hour) as that wouldn't bring in much more than the adult rate for Jobseeker's Allowance of 64.30 a week. (The only case for it, if you were able to get JSA, is to gain experience.) It's not a question of scrounging either - most people having paid through state taxation for the little they get back - so in the main it's a case of getting back what they paid in until they can find something suitable.

Forumosaurus
20-10-2009, 00:15
You're somewhat off-topic but need to be told that you are wrong. The last figures I read showed there were 400,000 jobs going and unemployment stood at 2.47 Million. So, that's just over two million who would still be on the scrap heap if those jobs were filled tomorrow. Greed is hardly the case as I can envisage few in their right mind working any less than twenty hours a week if they were getting National Minimum Wage (5.80 an hour) as that wouldn't bring in much more than the adult rate for Jobseeker's Allowance of 64.30 a week. (The only case for it, if you were able to get JSA, is to gain experience.) It's not a question of scrounging either - most people having paid through state taxation for the little they get back - so in the main it's a case of getting back what they paid in until they can find something suitable.

My point is still valid, there is no need for anyone to be on the dole when there is half a million jobs available. Only when there are not half a million jobs available will there be any valid excuse.

Plus, what do you define as unsuitable? There are hundreds and hundreds of jobs available in Sheffield from what I've seen on the Jobcentre website. The only people who will not find a 'suitable job' out of all the jobs available, is one wanting to follow a career in sofa testing.

Someone asking how much they can earn without losing there dole, too me sounds..like they want to keep their dole, in favour of getting a proper job. Sorry if this offends you but just the way it's coming across to me.

HarryBustard
20-10-2009, 08:39
My point is still valid, there is no need for anyone to be on the dole when there is half a million jobs available.

No it isn't and so you're still wrong Here's some basic arithmetic...

Number of unemployed - Number of available jobs = Number still unemployed

2,470,000 - 400,000 = 2,070,000

(This point was made in my previous post but you have ignored it.)

Plus, what do you define as unsuitable?

It may be possible for someone who's worked as a web developer the past five years to become a building site labourer but it wouldn't really suit the employer - never mind the employee. The opposite applies with most of the unemployed being without the skills to meet the requirements of the jobs.

Someone asking how much they can earn without losing there dole, too me sounds..like they want to keep their dole, in favour of getting a proper job.

I've already made a case for such reasonable behaviour but perhaps the original poster and others could put their point of view forward. Having said that I know someone who was signing on and decided to sign off in order to "force" themselves to take on most anything in order to get back into the Rat Race but after two months they found themselves financially worse off as all they could find was occasional unskilled work via an agency.

Evie G
21-10-2009, 06:21
My point is still valid, there is no need for anyone to be on the dole when there is half a million jobs available. Only when there are not half a million jobs available will there be any valid excuse.

Plus, what do you define as unsuitable? There are hundreds and hundreds of jobs available in Sheffield from what I've seen on the Jobcentre website. The only people who will not find a 'suitable job' out of all the jobs available, is one wanting to follow a career in sofa testing.

Someone asking how much they can earn without losing there dole, too me sounds..like they want to keep their dole, in favour of getting a proper job. Sorry if this offends you but just the way it's coming across to me.

Hi there. I'm a graduate with three years experience who has found myself, against my will, unemployed. I have been on the dole for a month, and I find your comments pretty insulting. Believe me, I don't want to stay on the dole. I get 50 a week, which is not enough to live on. I have been applying for everything admin related, and retail too, even data entry stuff which is half the hourly wage I was previously on.

But the reality is that there are so many unemployed at the moment, that competition for jobs is ridiculous. I was told there were 350 applicants for one of the positions. People want to work, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with people claiming dole money when they've worked hard all or most of their lives, and most people are not there because they want to be.

I'm not sure (as a person who doesn't seem to ever have stepped through the doors of a job centre and who is fortunate to have a job) that you're in any position to comment or generalise about the millions of people who are currently unemployed.

UKGino
28-10-2009, 10:07
Its not worth it for same money the hassle you get into. Better get full time job not that it is much better after deductions unless its well pay or long hours

jonsuzed
28-10-2009, 12:15
Only a fiver i think

niceguy
28-10-2009, 14:20
can anyone tell me how many hours i can work when on income support or job seekers thanks just down want to over work whet i am allowed

would be help if someone could give me

the rigt info would be a grate help

also does anyone have any work going i am 18 years old and a hard worker also have 3 refrenses

just give me a shout i am cheep and hard working

patrick38
28-10-2009, 14:59
only charity wrk mate and unpaid

sheffkim
28-10-2009, 15:05
You can work under 16 hours whilst on benefits. Although what you really need to be aware of is the fact that if you are a single person you can only earn 5, anything over that will be taken from your benefit, if you are part of a couple claiming benefit that disregard rises to 10 and if you are claiming as a lone parent the disregard is 20. Hope this helps....

niceguy
28-10-2009, 19:06
yes tanks u very much a grate help i am claiming a couple with 1 child and working 16hours earning 5.70 and hour come out with 5er after tax

Ms Macbeth
29-10-2009, 04:24
Mod: Threads merged