View Full Version : New postal charges for envelopes larger than A5


cgksheff
21-07-2005, 10:19
The Post Office is planning to bring in new postal charges next year which will include increases based upon envelope size even if there is no increase in weight!

Comparing the lowest weight category (<100g) the following will apply:

..................................1st / 2nd Class
<A5 = Letter..................30p / 21p
A5<A4 = Large Letter......42p / 35p
>A4 = Packet.................94p / 80p

"Letters" will only be up to a maximum of 5mm thick.

Currently all of these sizes (and less than 100g) should cost 30p/21p

Full information is here:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/rm/content1?catId=400105&mediaId=18600175#10500119

nick2
21-07-2005, 10:23
Thats still cheap compared to any other way of sending your letter/package.

1Man&hisBMW
21-07-2005, 10:24
The faster we get a national rival to royal mail, the better. This is getting ridiculous.

cgksheff
21-07-2005, 10:26
Originally posted by nick2
Thats still cheap compared to any other way of sending your letter/package.

It is a 300% increase in the cost of sending an envelope slightly larger than A4 and weighing less than 100g.

nick2
21-07-2005, 10:28
Originally posted by cgksheff
It is a 300% increase in the cost of sending an envelope slightly larger than A4 and weighing less than 100g.

Yeah, but it's still cheaper than say UPS (27 to take a 100g letter from Sheffield to London is their cheapest rate) or any of the other couriers.

MobileB
21-07-2005, 10:42
The other couriers only charge these prices, though, because they are prevented by Law from competing directly with the Post Office.

The PO lose their monopoly on letter delivery from next April and it will be interesting to see if any of the couriers take up the challenge. I believe a subsidary of TNT are already planning.

CaptainSwing
21-07-2005, 10:54
Deleted - some categories are dearer here!

t020
21-07-2005, 11:45
Originally posted by 1Man&hisBMW
The faster we get a national rival to royal mail, the better. This is getting ridiculous.

Too right! :clap:

Abdul
21-07-2005, 12:13
Originally posted by cgksheff
The Post Office is planning to bring in new postal charges next year which will include increases based upon envelope size even if there is no increase in weight!

I understand they've been having profit problems over the past few years, but I was hoping they'd having a better roadmap to increased revenue than simply screwing over the customer :rant:

nick2
21-07-2005, 12:30
Originally posted by 1Man&hisBMW
The faster we get a national rival to royal mail, the better. This is getting ridiculous.

A competitor will come along, undercut the Post Office, the Post Office will go out of bussiness and we will be back to having one company running the show, but a private one, with shareholders, not customers, as the main concern. Prices will rocket up and everyone will be moaning about how we should never have got rid of the Post Office.

Remember how enthusiastic everyone was about de-regulating the busses, now look where we are, one company runs the whole thing and prices go up 6 times a year.

t020
21-07-2005, 12:32
Originally posted by nick2
A competitor will come along, undercut the Post Office, the Post Office will go out of bussiness and we will be back to having one company running the show, but a private one, with shareholders, not customers, as the main concern. Prices will rocket up and everyone will be moaning about how we should never have got rid of the Post Office.

Remember how enthusiastic everyone was about de-regulating the busses, now look where we are, one company runs the whole thing and prices go up 6 times a year.

There will be more than one rival that will come along. I think the market could sustain 3 or 4 delivery services.

nick2
21-07-2005, 12:37
Originally posted by t020
There will be more than one rival that will come along. I think the market could sustain 3 or 4 delivery services.

I just don't see how that would work, would they have seperate post boxes and post offices, would you get more than one delivery of post a day ?

I think one company will come out on top, the one who can afford to price the others out of the market.

CaptainSwing
21-07-2005, 12:38
Thanks Nick, saves me the trouble of writing the same thing. Only thing worse than a public monopoly is a private monopoly, which is what usually results sooner or later when this type of service is opened up to competition, the buses, as you say, being one example.

Plus there's the probability that all the profitable bits will be cherry-picked, leaving people outside big cities with a much poorer and/or more expensive service.

I also think that the service here is still cheaper than in other countries, but need to get more info on that before can say for sure.

t020
21-07-2005, 15:01
Originally posted by nick2
I just don't see how that would work, would they have seperate post boxes and post offices, would you get more than one delivery of post a day ?

I think one company will come out on top, the one who can afford to price the others out of the market.

Yes, separate post boxes and offices is certainly possible and the market is large enough for a few competitors, so I don't think a monopoly would occur.

TimmyR
21-07-2005, 15:05
Originally posted by cgksheff
The Post Office is planning to bring in new postal charges next year which will include increases based upon envelope size even if there is no increase in weight!

Comparing the lowest weight category (<100g) the following will apply:

..................................1st / 2nd Class
<A5 = Letter..................30p / 21p
A5<A4 = Large Letter......42p / 35p
>A4 = Packet.................94p / 80p

"Letters" will only be up to a maximum of 5mm thick.

Currently all of these sizes (and less than 100g) should cost 30p/21p

Full information is here:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/rm/content1?catId=400105&mediaId=18600175#10500119


I think this is a great idea. THe number of times I've received a single A4 sheet in an A4 envelope is ridiculous, its about time someone put a stop to that. Fold the damn thing!

rich951
21-07-2005, 17:59
Can't say this bothers me - I'm not sure I've ever posted anything in an A4 envelope, and to use one bigger than that?

I'd also agree with the "don't privatise!" camp - I can't see it being anything other than total chaos if more than one postal organisation existed.

Lurch
21-07-2005, 22:03
Originally posted by t020
Yes, separate post boxes and offices is certainly possible and the market is large enough for a few competitors, so I don't think a monopoly would occur.

How would that work then? What happens if you get confused by having too much choice for stupidly simple things and put a letter in a post box from company A with a stamp on it from company B?

What if you live in an area that company A doesn't cover but someone posts you a letter using company A?

I can see a hell of a lot of post just been discarded if we end up with more companies as they won't want to help the competitors.

rich951
22-07-2005, 07:51
Also bear in mind that by increasing the cost for this tiny proportion of oversized mail, they are reducing the cost of the normal mail by increasing automation levels - or if you're cynical, maybe postponing or reducing a price increase :)

march
22-07-2005, 08:31
I don't think anyone will be able to compete with the Post Office. Think about it, how hard is it to make a profit by carrying a letter from Aberdeen hundreds of miles down to Southhampton, nearly door to door for less than 50p. Not to mention it usually arrives the next day or day after. We take it for granted as it has already been around for years. Imagine if it hadn't and someone told you for 31p or whatever it is you could send a letter from one end of the country to the other, you would be surprised.

I watched the programme the other week showing how bad they are. Most of the problems are down to temp workers, but they can't possibly cope without them as you can't employ extra staff just to cover the odd day someone is off ill. Without wanting to be rude you are never going to get reliable people when you go through instant work temp agencies who I would imagine pay not much above minimum wage, but they don't have a choice.

Greybeard
22-07-2005, 09:04
Originally posted by t020
There will be more than one rival that will come along. I think the market could sustain 3 or 4 delivery services.

Competition to the Roal Mail might be a good thing provided the competition has to operate to the same rules. Delivery to any address in the UK for a flat rate charge, and in the same time scale, for example. How likely is that ?? :rolleyes:

Greenback
22-07-2005, 09:09
As far as I know, we have the cheapest and best postal system in Europe, yet people still drone on about privatisation which would be an unmitigated disaster.

Proof if any were needed that we really are a nation of moaners!

Greybeard
22-07-2005, 09:43
Originally posted by Greenback
As far as I know, we have the cheapest and best postal system in Europe, yet people still drone on about privatisation which would be an unmitigated disaster.


The Thatcher/Blair view is that we have to have CHOICE in everything, it doesn't matter that services end up costing more as long as the principle is blindly adhered to ;)

t020
22-07-2005, 11:41
Originally posted by Greybeard
The Thatcher/Blair view is that we have to have CHOICE in everything, it doesn't matter that services end up costing more as long as the principle is blindly adhered to ;)

Telephone calls - cheaper or more expensive since privatisation? Not only do we have more choice, we also have lower prices. I'm not sure how well the internet would've taken off if telephone communications were still nationalised.