View Full Version : New Thai Restaurant on Ecclesall Road

Eclaire
22-07-2009, 15:33
Does anybody have any information about the new restuarant on Ecclesall Road that used to be Noodle King?
I drove past it today but wasn't close enough to see opening dates etc?

ajww4764
22-07-2009, 23:28
Opening by the owners of baan Thai, due in a couple of weeks

HidiHi
23-07-2009, 11:10
Hmm....sounds interesting!

boutiquechoc
23-07-2009, 11:24
Mmmm that wil be yum then! I lurve thai food. We have some excellent ones here in Sheffield!! More, more, more!!

theripsaw
15-09-2009, 14:45
This looks nice. I saw the review in the Sheffield Telegraph this week, and was looking forward to trying it out. Until i noticed that their set meals for 1 start at 24.95. Breaking that down thats 15quid for your main, and a fiver each for starter & desert.
I dont mind paying a lot for a decent meal if it's worth it, but Thai food isnt exactly expensive. There's no free range / organic / rare breed etc involved. It's mostly ruddy noodles and sauce.
I think they are thaiking the wee and look forward to the prices coming down as they realize they've been sussed. Then I shall go.

neeeeeeeeeek
15-09-2009, 14:48
Half of it needs to be flown in fresh, that costs!

theripsaw
15-09-2009, 14:52
Half of it needs to be flown in fresh, that costs!

No more than most of the stuff in Tesco veg dept.

Masquerade
15-09-2009, 15:49
thai food is naturally cheap because of the ingredients etc (it certainly was i was in thailand); and it's annoying that thai restaurants in this country charge way over what it's worth just because it's seen as 'exotic' - shame cos thai food is amazing....

Kthebean
15-09-2009, 15:55
Very few restaurants charge on what the food costs alone. Rent on units on ecclesall road is ridiculous, for example. That is why many of the italian places are overpriced (how much does pasta and tomato and mozzarella cost?!)compared with those on say, London Road.

The running costs of a restaurant in Thailand and a restaurant on Ecclesall Road are not comparable.

theripsaw
15-09-2009, 16:22
Very few restaurants charge on what the food costs alone. Rent on units on ecclesall road is ridiculous, for example. That is why many of the italian places are overpriced (how much does pasta and tomato and mozzarella cost?!)compared with those on say, London Road.

The running costs of a restaurant in Thailand and a restaurant on Ecclesall Road are not comparable.

I appreciate that but 25 in Sheffield - in a credit crunch?? Thats london prices

neeeeeeeeeek
15-09-2009, 20:12
No more than most of the stuff in Tesco veg dept.

Go buy some Lemon Grass from Tesco and tell me it's not expensive. What about Thai Basil, galangal, Kaffir Lime leaves and all the others, not many fields of Galangal in the UK and my Kaffir Lime tree cost me 60

neeeeeeeeeek
15-09-2009, 20:13
I appreciate that but 25 in Sheffield - in a credit crunch?? Thats london prices

Eating at a prime location in London's going to cost more than 25

tas1
16-09-2009, 10:06
Well I've been there twice now, and love the place! Well worth the cost IMHO

Kthebean
16-09-2009, 10:07
The Fields Of Galangal was a popular Paul Mcartney song I believe.

Fantomas
16-09-2009, 10:15
Go buy some Lemon Grass from Tesco and tell me it's not expensive. What about Thai Basil, galangal, Kaffir Lime leaves and all the others, not many fields of Galangal in the UK and my Kaffir Lime tree cost me 60

You can get all those things much cheaper than tesco in one of the big chinese supermarkets/wholesalers though, they're really not that expensive.

Having said that, I don't think 25 a head is a rip off if the food and service is really good. If you want a load of crap food for a tenner then you get yourself down to Jumbo or similar. You pays your money....

neeeeeeeeeek
16-09-2009, 10:27
You can get all those things much cheaper than tesco in one of the big chinese supermarkets/wholesalers though, they're really not that expensive.

Having said that, I don't think 25 a head is a rip off if the food and service is really good. If you want a load of crap food for a tenner then you get yourself down to Jumbo or similar. You pays your money....

Hmm, you sort of missed my point!

And I agree, if you want cheap food then buy a pot noodle!

boutiquechoc
16-09-2009, 10:33
So does anyone have a review of the place then? apart from the price?

Tess
16-09-2009, 12:02
My dad went and came back raving about the king prawns!

theripsaw
16-09-2009, 13:27
Eating at a prime location in London's going to cost more than 25

3 course meal at Claridges - Just a fiver more than a Thai meal on Eccy Rd.
http://www.gordonramsay.com/claridges/menus/setlunch/

Like I said im happy to pay for good food- but that generally means good expensive ingredients. Thai food ingredients is cheap cheap cheap. Even in this country.

If you're foolish enough to pay top dollar for some chopped veg and non descript (and undoubtably battery / farmed) meat / fish thats up to you!

verona
08-01-2011, 18:32
Just wondered if anyone has tried it recently. Patoo it is called.

Looking at the website, set meals start at 18.95.

Sam4037
08-01-2011, 20:31
Patoo? - I think the one that was in Noodle King is 'All Siam'?
Is Patoo the one a bit further down the road?
Recently visited All Siam - really great food - and excellent service.
Would recommend you book - We didn't and they just fitted us in but it was full (and it was mid week)

verona
09-01-2011, 09:01
Patoo is the one further down the road.
We tried to get in last night but it was fully booked so we went to All Siam and they just managed to fit us in.

It wasn't bad, I've had better, service was spot on and I couldn't fault it.

Would go back but I want to try Patoo first.

littlejimbo
09-01-2011, 12:04
Went to Patoo on New Years Day. Couldn't fault anything, service and food were excellent, will definitely go again :)

callippo
19-01-2011, 13:42
never bother with Thai restaraunts outside Thailand, even in Asia, and even when they're Thai cooks. Too many disappointments.

also they're too expensive. 20-30% more than Indian restos in the UK. The ingredients don't cost anything like that much more. What they're doing is gambling on the customers paying more for it being more 'exotic'.

verona
19-01-2011, 19:09
never bother with Thai restaraunts outside Thailand, even in Asia, and even when they're Thai cooks. Too many disappointments.

also they're too expensive. 20-30% more than Indian restos in the UK. The ingredients don't cost anything like that much more. What they're doing is gambling on the customers paying more for it being more 'exotic'.

That's all very well. But when I want a Thai meal, I can't just jump on a plane and head to Thailand!!!!

I have been to Thailand loads of times, and yes, you can't duplicate the food there and bring it to England. But saying that, I have eaten in some good Thai restaurant's in Engalnd.

My friends wife is Thia. When we get invited to their house, we have some of the best Thai food I have ever eaten, and it's free:clap:

Bulgarian
19-01-2011, 21:26
set meals for 1 start at 24.95. Breaking that down thats 15quid for your main, and a fiver each for starter & desert.

That is not expensive for proper food in a restaurant, considering it's nearly 10 quid for a Burger King meal.

callippo
20-01-2011, 03:03
there's no rhyme or reason to Thai restos overseas. You can pay a packet and get a right pile of garbage but one of the best Thai meals I ever ate was in this little cafe thing up in North Berwick in Scotland where the owner had married some Thai woman, so they sold Thai dishes as well as bacon butties. They did delicous Tod Man Pla for like 2.95 for 6. I make them myself by the dozen and freeze them. They cost me about 25 pence each, so really about 4 quid is about right. 7.95 which is what they can cost is just a joke.

home is cooking is usually best everywhere provided the cook isn't a total retard except when you go really go upmarket. Thai food is no different.

verona
20-01-2011, 09:41
I like the sound of that place in Scotland. It's what Sheffield could do with.

It would be great is someone opened a no-frills cafe type place serving home-style Thai food at reasonable prices.

neeeeeeeeeek
20-01-2011, 09:54
Importing fresh Thai ingredients does not come cheap and most need to be fresh. the majority of ingredients in Indian cooking are easily available and or dried.

I have a Kaffir lime leave tree, It's great for me as I just pull off a few leaves when I need them but imagine how many of those you would need to run a restaurant!

callippo
25-01-2011, 10:04
I like the sound of that place in Scotland. It's what Sheffield could do with.

It would be great is someone opened a no-frills cafe type place serving home-style Thai food at reasonable prices.

I noticedl last time I was there in September there's one similar out in Tinsley. A UK type transport caff, that also serves Thai dishes. Thai wife, husband not a farang but somewhere in the Middle East, Iran I think although I didn't ask. Tried it, food not expensive but not all that great either. Give it a try it's part of the block of shops behind the houses to the left as you go towards Magma on the left, after the big Tinsley roundabout