Sign in to follow this  

Pub changes on West Street

Noticed last night that the Saddle has been rebranded as 'the Bedroom' and is in the middle of (another) refurbishment. The Bedroom bar is to open 5th December I believe.

Also noticed Edwards and the Old Red Lion are closed down for refurbishment.

I've also heard the Irish pub that used to be the Foundry and Firkin is changing again.

Anyone know anything about any of the above?

I see that O'Neills (next to the post office) is now called "S1" or something equally unimaginative and has painted itself a horrible khaki colour!

Was that the "Irish pub" you were referring to?

Originally posted by Andy C

Noticed last night that the Saddle has been rebranded as 'the Bedroom' and is in the middle of (another) refurbishment. The Bedroom bar is to open 5th December I believe...

Anyone know anything about any of the above?

Yes, the bedroom bar will have a double bed with lots of comfy cushions on it, so a small grup of people can 'chill out' whilst getting drunk. It's a theme thats already been done in Manchester.

IMO its daft - grubby sodden bed covers or it they are luxurious i reckon i'd end up having a nap (not very sociable) and and the bar will get confused with the club named Bed, although i hear thats closing too.

I see that O'Neills (next to the post office) is now called "S1" or something equally unimaginative and has painted itself a horrible khaki colour! Was that the "Irish pub" you were referring to?

That's the one! Didn't realise work had already begun...

Yes, the bedroom bar will have a double bed with lots of comfy cushions on it, so a small group of people can 'chill out' whilst getting drunk. It's a theme thats already been done in Manchester.

Blimey. Now there is so many obvious comments that could be made here which I will resist........

What a ridiculous notion. The Saddle used to be a fairly quiet bar. Is there no end to the path of destruction left by men intent on turning every quiet pub into a loud, vodka swilling, Aftershock soaked palace of excess!! Whats going to go next?

Saddle quiet? Are we talking about the same pub?

Originally posted by Christoph

What a ridiculous notion. The Saddle used to be a fairly quiet bar. Is there no end to the path of destruction left by men intent on turning every quiet pub into a loud, vodka swilling, Aftershock soaked palace of excess!! Whats going to go next?

Its called progress.

Whats going to go next?

The City Hall will become some hedonistic orgy palace only selling Barley Wine by the shot.

Trams will be done away with in favour of buses?

The Old Town Hall will be knocked down to make way for a Hyper Spoons (very large Weatherspoons)

The Casbah wil be renamed The Limit

Cabaret acts will start appearing in the building nr Pond Street and it will be called The Fiesta

:loopy:

Update!

Edwards bar has turned into REFLEX: The 80s bar.

Just what we needed - another ruddy themed retro music bar!

Unsure what's happening next door at the Old Red Lion.

On my way into work last week I noticed a change to two pubs on West Street. The Saddle has now become the Bedroom with a double bed as it's show piece - no idea if that's for the punters who are sleepy or to promote midnight athletics. Anyway, just across the road at the side of Westaways (recently changed it's name from Rat and Parrot) is a pub I always struggle to remember the name of and that has now been converted into a 80's theme bar. I know pubs are having to change drastically to compete in today's market, but aren't they going a little too far to attract customers? I'm all for change and the choice is great for those who like bars, but while this is happening traditional pubs in the city centre are fast disappearing. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by Andy C

Saddle quiet? Are we talking about the same pub?

my thoughts exactly