View Full Version : What's your favourite radio station?

nomme
28-11-2003, 13:42
Prompted by this exchange from elsewhere :

>But R2 is a bit like middle-aged baldness;
> inevitable, but you try to put
>it off as long as you can.

Yes, but every time I put R1 on, there seems to be some kind of data being
transmitted. It certainly sounds like modem noises.

I have to admit to mainly listening to Radio2 most of the time. I listen to Radio 1 only for Mark and Lard, and I occassionally listen to Radio 4 for the comedy when I remember.
(And of course I tune into Sheffieldlive when Nutronic & the Soulman are on.)

So fellow forumers: What's your favourite radio station?

Nomme

Moon Maiden
28-11-2003, 13:45
I don't listen to the radio. The radio is generally on in my sisters shop but I have no idea what station it is.

Funny this should be brought up because I don't understand the concept of internet radio. I am as we speak trying out launch radio from yahoo - which aparently classes Def Leppard as HARD Rock??

Moon Maiden

fnkysknky
28-11-2003, 13:55
Listen to Radio 1 mostly - unless Mark & Lard are on then I switch off straight away - I hate those two with a passion.

Agent Orange
28-11-2003, 14:27
Radio 1 if Mark and Lard or Chris Moyles is on. Tend to switch it off when they do the news as they tend to dumb it down and add stupid sound effects. No Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!! :loopy:

Phanerothyme
28-11-2003, 14:28
radio 4 and the world service, and radio 3 for 'mixing it'.

Radio 2 is like a palliative medicine. I won't go near it.

Radio 1 is just noisy, although the John Peel show is still very listenable.

I switch off whenever -
I hear the Archer's theme tune (reformed addict)
Liz Barclay comes on with 'you and yours'

Mainly listen to:
Today programme
I'm sorry I haven't a clue
Dead Ringers (when it was on)
Loose Ends
Home Truths
World at One
Westminster Hour
PM
The World Tonight.
Letter from America (now and again)

Sidla
28-11-2003, 15:20
I'm with Radio 1. This week has been good because Scott Mills has been on the breakfast show and it's very funny when he does it. Listen to Moyles as ever in the afternoons. I'm going to have a tear in my eye when Chris Moyles' afternoon show finishes next week. I've hardly missed a show in 5 years.

Moonolt
28-11-2003, 15:55
At the moment, I usually listen to Hallam FM. Usually whatever's on, but Big John, Dave Bethell and Nick Margerrison are the three DJs that I usually enjoy listening to the most.

Then it's a tie between Radio 1 (Mark and Lard, plus I sometimes listen to Wes' Official Chart show) and Classic FM (mostly better than Radio 3, in my opinion). I also listen to Radio 5 Live, for football and Formula 1 (if I'm not watching either sport either live or on TV).

Outside of Sheffield, I'll listen to Manx Radio a lot, for local news and the like. I'll also listen to BBC Radio Cumbria.

fuzzy
28-11-2003, 17:10
Radio 2 all the time.

DaBouncer
28-11-2003, 17:28
Galaxy 105 - Hirsty, Danny n Jojo ROCK !

fnkysknky
28-11-2003, 17:42
Has Hallam increased it's playlist over the last few years - haven't listened for 5/6 years but back then the playlist was about 6 songs in rotation :loopy:

Galaxy isn't much better with all the bloody scouse house they play :rolleyes:

Lickszz
28-11-2003, 18:37
Originally posted by fnkysknky
Has Hallam increased it's playlist over the last few years - haven't listened for 5/6 years but back then the playlist was about 6 songs in rotation :loopy:

Too be honest, it's just the same. Hallam is the most repetative radio station I know. :(

Jon
28-11-2003, 18:55
I listen to KERRANG on freeview & listen to Radio 2 sometimes in the afternoon for Steve Wright

upholder
28-11-2003, 19:13
Radio Sheffield mainly, 5 Live sometimes.

halevan
28-11-2003, 20:47
Originally posted by nomme
Prompted by this exchange from elsewhere :

I have to admit to mainly listening to Radio2 most of the time. I listen to Radio 1 only for Mark and Lard, and I occassionally listen to Radio 4 for the comedy when I remember.
(And of course I tune into Sheffieldlive when Nutronic & the Soulman are on.)

So fellow forumers: What's your favourite radio station?

Nomme

I listen to Radio Five live most of the night in bed on my pocket Radio as I find it interesting and informative most of the time.

SaxonLeigh
29-11-2003, 13:30
i only ever listen to Galaxy 105, i've been listning to it for the past 5 years. Love hursty danny and jojo in a morning, they wake me up laughing! i've never had another radio station tuned in on radio although i have listened to the fone in show on halam fm on a sunday night but only because my b/f wants to listen to it.

t020
30-11-2003, 00:17
Originally posted by Lickszz
Too be honest, it's just the same. Hallam is the most repetative radio station I know. :(

You obviously have never listened to Virgin Radio 1215am. When I used to listen to it (not through choice), I would sometimes hear the same song played 3 times within a few hours. They then introduced this "no repeats between 9 and 5" thing, probably because they got so many complaints.

kirky
02-12-2003, 16:02
i listen to real radio fm all day at work..and between 6-7pm at home every weekday for the sports phone in.106-108 fm (yorkshire)

chill
02-12-2003, 16:08
During the week:
Morning in bed - Today on Radio 4
Morning on walk to work - Phil Jupitas on Radio 6
Daytime - 5 Live
Evening - Tom Robinson on Radio 6
Late evening - Late Junction on Radio 3

Saturday morning:
Wossy on Radio 2
followed by Ricky Gervais (http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=4373) on XFM

:thumbsup:

SheffieldSean
02-12-2003, 16:59
Breakfast with Nicky Cambell - FiveLive
Radio 5 through until 2pm and then Toby Foster on Radio Sheffield

In the evening if I'm sick of the TV, which is a lot, I'll listen to Football Heaven on Radio Sheffield or FiveLive or Stuart Maconie on Radio 2. Saturday mornings have to be Jonathan Ross on Radio 2.

Radio 1, and other 'yoof' orientated garbage like Hallam and Galaxy just don't do it for me anymore - but each to their own.

Agent Orange
03-12-2003, 13:47
Originally posted by t020
You obviously have never listened to Virgin Radio 1215am. When I used to listen to it (not through choice), I would sometimes hear the same song played 3 times within a few hours. They then introduced this "no repeats between 9 and 5" thing, probably because they got so many complaints.

It's far worse than that now. It's still very repetitive and they claim now they are the only radio station that don't talk over songs and have long sessions of talking. I smell bull!! Every time I've listened there's never been anything, but talking!!

Virgin's current playlist: (these are repeated every hour at least)

Coldplay - Clocks
The Darkness - A thing called love
Travis - Reoffender
Rolling Stones
Oasis
The Thrills

MrH
03-12-2003, 19:07
Radio Sheffeild in the morning
Toby Foster on Radio Sheffield, if I get chance, in the afternoon
Radio 2 in the evening on the way home

Last time I heard Hallam FM, I got the impression they only had six records, whcih they repeated every hour through the day - boring or what? And I think they have some kind of crap Elvis impersonator who stitched me up earlier this year - so they have lost my vote!

Jayne
04-12-2003, 11:10
I've reached the age when I start listening to radio 2, when moyles finally starts in the morning the last ten years of radio 1 are to be forgotten and I'm going to start being a wogan fan.

listen to six music at work tho, over the internet - it's pretty good - music good enough that you don't hear very often but none of the stuff that can make radio 2 dull.

would listen to virgin but i can't stand adverts

venger
06-12-2003, 17:52
radio 4 is tops, can be a bit clever and boring but worth staying with for variety, comedy news and information. radio 4 is tops

kirky
05-01-2004, 17:19
i must be getting on a bit.....early to mid eighties i always listend to radio 1...then i switched to hallam fm....mid 90's went to radio 2 now i find myself listening to the same tunes as my radio 1 days on real radio fm (106 t0 108 fm) anybody else listen to it? if so did you hear this mornings wind up phone call :) proper funny.

DaBouncer
05-01-2004, 17:33
No, but I will gibve real radio a listen I think soom.

More of a Galaxy 105 fan myself!

Mike
05-01-2004, 18:03
- Radio 1 sometimes - can be good at night.
- Radio 4 at drive time.
- triple j (http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/) :: Aussie net radio that puts on some class mixes on their nighttime (our daytime) shows.

Can't deal with anything else really - Radio 2 is horrendous syrupy rubbish and Galaxy is just cheese.

Thankf ***** for car CD players.

nomme
06-01-2004, 10:28
A very similar discussion is here :

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4888&highlight=radio+AND+station

Nomme

Tony Ruscoe
06-01-2004, 12:59
Threads merged then.

noseyrosie
08-06-2004, 19:45
What's your favourite radio station and show? Don't turn this into a Nick at Night thread....all though he makes my list:

1)Virgin radio....all the time apart from Virgin Love...yeuch. Shame the receptions so ****e around here
2)Nick at Night
3)Mike Harding on Radio 2 (wednesday 8-9....watch out for the dodgy old men singing)
4)Late Junction on Radio 3

RPG
08-06-2004, 19:46
Radio 1 - John Peel
Xfm - Lauren Laverne :love:
BBC Sheffield - Toby Foster Show :D

bulldog D
08-06-2004, 19:55
Radio 2 most of the time.............
Classic FM some of the time
and radio Sheffield for the local stuff
Nick at night when I want annoying!

Grissom
08-06-2004, 20:26
This isnt too bad

http://launch.yahoo.com/launchcast/stations/station.asp?i=320

and also the classic rock one of course.

Also like BBC radio 1 - listen on on tram to work - good music at 6am and also decent reception on the trams...

DaBouncer
08-06-2004, 20:41
Galaxy 105... I don't listen to any other!

JoeP
08-06-2004, 20:43
Radios 2 and 4....

And occasional forays in to weird stations that are only audible for three minutes at a time between lightning static!

beckb
08-06-2004, 20:43
Originally posted by DaBouncer
Galaxy 105... I don't listen to any other!

I was wondering when someone would say Galaxy!

I love Danny, Hirsty and Jojo in the morning! Brilliant!

Radio2 in an afternoon.

Sunday night is ironing night always accompanied by Dave Pearce Dance Anthems - Radio 1

Lickszz
08-06-2004, 21:24
Threads merged.

Rich
08-06-2004, 21:34
BBC Radio 2 for Steve Wright during the week and Dale Winton's Pick of the Pops on a Saturday.

Magic AM

Radio Zappa, aka Phan FM ;)

Siān
08-06-2004, 21:41
Radio 4 all the time - even the Archers... :D

Cols
08-06-2004, 22:30
Where's this post been hiding then ?

Radio 4 - TV for grown ups.
Hand on heart I could honestly say that I would gladly pay the TV licence just for R4. I do realise that it's an age thing, usually over 30's, but once you're in there it gets in the blood.

Radio 3 - Now and again. More diverse than ....

Classic FM - until the adverts come on. They too have a playlist. I mean, how many times a week do you need to hear the Rachmaninov Second Piano Concerto.

Radio 2 - some night shows - R & B, In Concert, Critical list etc

Can't stand anything that has "sexual chemistry" between the presenters.
You know..... Like when a traffic report comes on and the presenters are too busy flirting with each other

noseyrosie
09-06-2004, 00:14
Originally posted by Cols

Can't stand anything that has "sexual chemistry" between the presenters.
You know..... Like when a traffic report comes on and the presenters are too busy flirting with each other

I wouldn't listen to Pete and Geoff on Virgin then, lol! They have a thing for Annabel methinks ;)

PuressenceUK
09-06-2004, 09:11
Has to be Virgin or Radio 6. Anything that doesn't play R & B bling rubbish all the time.

Get a DAB radio, they're great!

Fletch
09-06-2004, 11:42
i only really listen to the radio on a saturday now

Radio 4 - home truths
Radio 2 - Jonny Woss
Radio 4 (1200) - The comedy hour
Radio 2 - rest of the day

then i listen to Dale on sunday :(

CaptainSleep
09-06-2004, 11:53
I listen to Radio two week days mainly, Terry then Ken, break for a couple of hours then Steve wright then johnny walker (though i preffered it when stuart maconie or noel edmonds did drive time). Weekends always mr ross on a sat mornin so funny.

Only time i deviate from this is to listen to my beloved wednesday on Radio Sheffield or test match special on radio four.

Rich
09-06-2004, 11:56
Originally posted by noseyrosie
I wouldn't listen to Pete and Geoff on Virgin then, lol! They have a thing for Annabel methinks ;)

And I think Steve Wright fancies "Sally Traffic" on BBC Radio 2 :P

ToryCynic
09-06-2004, 16:22
I have Hallam via the internet, or Virgin 105.8FM (London variation).
Sometimes BBC 7 for Dead Ringers.

ToryCynic
09-06-2004, 16:24
P.s, Rich. Interestingly, Sally Boazman (Traffic) was on one of those "bad drivers" programmes. She has an old H reg Mazda, if i rember rightly

Sam Miguel
09-06-2004, 16:41
That awful Real Radio is piped through my workplace. I have no choice, I have to listen to it. Sometimes they switch to Radio 1 which is getting even worse.

That Chris Moyles just likes to listen to himself.

Bedhead
10-06-2004, 09:31
i listen to chris moyles on radio 1 - reyt funny and pete tong on a friday night before going out

other than that it's radio 5 but i only listen to the radio in my car except sometimes on a friday night (see above!)

never listen to local stations

Trekker
10-06-2004, 10:20
Starships that is

Mosherchik
10-06-2004, 10:28
...not that I have one :P
Normally have Radio 2 on in the background some days... slightly worried that everything from the 80s is now considered an oldie :o
Have radio 2 on Saturday purely for J Ross and the comedy shows - its been a bad week :thumbsup:
Have radio 4 on for the comedy stuff - Im Sorry I havnt a Clue... and sometimes Just a Minute if the Noblemeister is on :D

then theres Phan FM :P and I love listening to XFM but can only get it thru net and it has a habbit of crashing !!!!! :sad:

Rest of time listen to my own wonderful taste in music :thumbsup: :roll:

Rich
10-06-2004, 10:45
Originally posted by Mosherchik
...not that I have one :P
Normally have Radio 2 on in the background some days... slightly worried that everything from the 80s is now considered an oldie :o
Have radio 2 on Saturday purely for J Ross and the comedy shows - its been a bad week :thumbsup:
Have radio 4 on for the comedy stuff - Im Sorry I havnt a Clue... and sometimes Just a Minute if the Noblemeister is on :D

then theres Phan FM :P and I love listening to XFM but can only get it thru net and it has a habbit of crashing !!!!! :sad:

Rest of time listen to my own wonderful taste in music :thumbsup: :roll:

See subject line.... :lol:

Fletch
10-06-2004, 11:09
oh and i listen to radio Phan when i can get it (i cant at the min? Phan?)

yellowboy
01-10-2004, 18:02
I always listen to Chris Moyles on Radio 1 in the morning. Its better than any other radio breakfast show. Much better than Hallam FMs offering.

craigmason
01-10-2004, 19:14
hallam fm or peak fm

Draggletail
01-10-2004, 19:15
In the work vehicle- Virgin
At home on (digital) BBC Radio 6 and Planet Rock:headbang:

fuzzy
02-10-2004, 13:20
Originally posted by yellowboy
I always listen to Chris Moyles on Radio 1 in the morning. Its better than any other radio breakfast show. Much better than Hallam FMs offering.

So it has got better since the sickeningly pathetic highly annoying stupid bint Sara Cox (should never have been allowed on radio) went then? She was the reason i stopped listening to radio 1.

Have to say i quite like the radio 2 music during day, Robbie, Tom Jones, Prince, rock stuff, good female vocalist and some new stuff. Usually an interesting topical discussion at lunch with Jeremy Vine. And Terry and Steve Wright, occasionally Johnny Walker all know exactly what time i leave/go to work(even when early or late) and put on a really good track on just as i get in the car so i can turn it up and go to and from work and always be in a good mood.

fuzzy
02-10-2004, 13:22
Originally posted by yellowboy

So it has got better since the sickeningly pathetic highly annoying stupid bint Sara Cox :gag: (should never have been allowed on radio) went then? She was the reason i stopped listening to radio 1.

Have to say i quite like the radio 2 music during day, Robbie, Tom Jones, Prince, rock stuff, good female vocalist and new stuff. Usually an interesting topical discussion at lunch with Jeremy Vine. And Terry and Steve Wright, occasionally Johnny Walker all know exactly what time i leave/go to work(even when early or late) and put on a really good track on just as i get in the car so i can turn it up and go to and from work and always be in a good mood. :clap: :clap:

Titian
02-10-2004, 14:04
I'm loathed to admit that Radio quiet (Radio 4) is becoming the hot contender for me these days.

ALthough I do listen to Radio 1 in a morning in the car.

StarSparkle
02-10-2004, 14:24
Most of my life I've been a solid Radio 1 listener, but for the last few years I've been tuning into Radio 2 instead, mostly through listening to Steve Wright. (yes, he can be a bit smug sometimes, but I still really like him).

I just can't bear people like Sara Cox and Chris Moyles, but I am a little worried that lately I've been listening to Colin and Edith quite a lot - as a staunch Mark and Lard fan I'm concerned about this development!! They do play some decent music, though.

Saturday mornings are given over to Jonathan Ross.

So it's a mixture of Radios 1 and 2 for me - I've never been able to put up with commercial radio - the constantly repeating ads drive me up the wall!!

If I had digital radio, though, I'd be very keen to give Radio 6 a try.

StarSparkle

A.B.Yaffle
02-10-2004, 17:14
Real Radio because I like a variety of music types. I used to love Hallam in the days when they played a variety of different types of music... nowadays they only ever seem to have about 5 cds.

Rich
02-10-2004, 19:13
Radio 2
Magic AM

And of course..... Phan FM.

PaulTansley
03-10-2004, 13:59
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Galaxy 105... I don't listen to any other! You don't listen to my show Dirt Diggler.
Shame on you.:heyhey:

purplepippa
10-10-2004, 20:55
Originally posted by venger
radio 4 is tops, can be a bit clever and boring but worth staying with for variety, comedy news and information. radio 4 is tops

couldn't agree more!

purplepippa
10-10-2004, 20:59
I have radio 4 on virtually all the time. Otherwise I listen to BBC7, BBC Asian Network, Classic FM, Jazz FM (occasionally), or Hallam FM (generally Nick @ night).

I don't have a TV so radio takes on huge importance!

ilaria
12-10-2004, 12:08
i listen to hallam fm and galaxy 105 i love a bit of dance tunes.

GazB
12-10-2004, 12:17
Hallam FM- For Nick@Night
Galazy 105- They're more consistent with their music, unlike Hallam FM.
Radio 1- See above, except it's generally better music!

J_Horizontal
12-10-2004, 13:08
Galaxy 105 just gets better and better. I always give people with Hallam FM car stickers in their vehicles a wide berth ... you never know when they'll drift off to sleep listening to it ...