Advice needed on being self employed

I would like to ask a couple of questions regarding being self employed:

1. Can I still claim JSA if working from home as self employed less than 16 hours per week?

2. Is it more feasable to claim as working 16 hours, or more? I.e in relations to benefits and tax credits. Or the more hours you declare the less yo get.

3. If my spouse is already registered as self employed for 16 hours, how will the amount of benefits be affected.

4. What benefits am I entitled to.

Basicaly I am trying to find out how to get the most out of the system in the correct way and to make sure I am getting everything I possibly can.

Regards,

Max :huh::help:

You should ask at JC+ about ND for Self Employed and they should calculate your 'better off' options for you. No one here can calculate anywhere near accurate without doing a full claims synopsis.

One thing to consider - if you are thinking of starting a business, least amount of hours should not be on your mind at all.

Cool, got an appointment with JC tomorrow, thanks for the reply. When I was talking about the hours, I meant number of hours to declare to get the most.

As Indizine said JC+ is the best place to go for this advice.

Even as an accountant we don't have any special way of working out benefits.

I wonder though if you can register as self employed but say you will be working only 16 hours. I think you are either self employed or not.

If you have no work one week, you could technically say you are working no hours, but what if you are busy one week, will you just work 16 hours and potentially lose income?

And depending on your work and hourly rate, you might earn more in 16 hours a week than some people do in a 40 hour week.

As a startup business there might be benefits or grants you can claim, or you might be able to claim working tax credits, but I think they are based more on your profits than hours worked.

So you're thinking about scamming the system, not doing it the 'correct' way, which would be to be honest about the number of hours worked.

So you're thinking about scamming the system, not doing it the 'correct' way, which would be to be honest about the number of hours worked.

if i wanted to scam the system my friend i am sure i would find ways to do it without asking here, if you got nothing nice to reply, dont reply at all. thank you

As Indizine said JC+ is the best place to go for this advice.

Even as an accountant we don't have any special way of working out benefits.

I wonder though if you can register as self employed but say you will be working only 16 hours. I think you are either self employed or not.

If you have no work one week, you could technically say you are working no hours, but what if you are busy one week, will you just work 16 hours and potentially lose income?

And depending on your work and hourly rate, you might earn more in 16 hours a week than some people do in a 40 hour week.

As a startup business there might be benefits or grants you can claim, or you might be able to claim working tax credits, but I think they are based more on your profits than hours worked.

Much appreciated

if i wanted to scam the system my friend i am sure i would find ways to do it without asking here, if you got nothing nice to reply, dont reply at all. thank you

Basicaly I am trying to find out how to get the most out of the system in the correct way and to make sure I am getting everything I possibly can.

You said it.

You said it.

Yes, the CORRECT way.

You're the one who suggested that you were going to lie about the number of hours you worked.

Isn't that scamming (also known as benefits fraud)?

yes and there is nothing wrong with that. Its the same when people use an accountant to make sure they claim every single penny they possible can ;)

You can do 16hrs a week on NDSE but as I say they will calc everything for you. Ive worked in JC+ on JSA and run the NDSE contracts in the past.

You're the one who suggested that you were going to lie about the number of hours you worked.

Isn't that scamming (also known as benefits fraud)?

The OP said no such thing, so stop stirring up trouble! :rolleyes: