View Full Version : Can you set up your own charity.. to fund yourself?

Colonel
16-05-2009, 21:31
because i need money. :P

Sounds selfish, just throwing it out there.

haha

happyhippy
16-05-2009, 21:42
Great idea, but the Charities Commision and all the rest of it don't like it. Just the same as they wouldn't allow my charity. As charities have different tax status, I wanted to set myself up as the NSPPIT, or the National Society for the Prevention of Paying Income Tax.

For some reason, it never got allowed.

Phanerothyme
17-05-2009, 00:31

haha

No, but you could start a Charity for a good cause, hire some charity collectors from an agency, and pay yourself a fat paycheck, and give the rest of it to said good cause.

honeyb35
17-05-2009, 07:39
We fundraise to enable us to pay for private physiotherapy sessions for my son, we did look at making it a registered charity but one of the conditions is that you aim to raise 5000 a year. As we'd never make that much, and don't need to make that much we didn't bother.

megalithic
21-09-2010, 22:35

haha

Sell your iphone if your so skint, no chance of you getting mugged for it then either. :hihi:

Rich Siddall
21-09-2010, 22:48
Theres quite a lot of paperwork and form filling involved, i certainly remember collating at least 5 sets of paperwork for one application.

MissMonkey
21-09-2010, 22:50
I think we would all be doing this if it was allowed :D

pattricia
21-09-2010, 22:52
I think we would all be doing this if it was allowed :D

I think its a great idea. With a lot of MPs fiddling their expenses , why shouldnt we do the same.?

Hairyloon
21-09-2010, 23:16
No, but you could start a Charity for a good cause, hire some charity collectors from an agency, and pay yourself a fat paycheck, and give the rest of it to said good cause.
No you couldn't. Trustees cannot be paid, and what the director is paid is regulated.
You could however set up a fund-raising agency, they can pay their directors whatever they like.

Worjackie
22-09-2010, 10:18
In answer to the OP's question, a certain millionaire rock star appears to have found a way!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841666-bono-under-fire-over-one-charity-donations-totalling-9-6m

Very mysterious that an organisation receiving 9.6million in donations only paid out 118,000 to the causes it was set up to help. :suspect:

Wildcat
22-09-2010, 13:44
In answer to the OP's question, a certain millionaire rock star appears to have found a way!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841666-bono-under-fire-over-one-charity-donations-totalling-9-6m

Very mysterious that an organisation receiving 9.6million in donations only paid out 118,000 to the causes it was set up to help. :suspect:

Your article says the opposite...

A spokesman for One said the group was registered as a non-profit organisation in the US, although it did not benefit from British tax breaks for charities

Tip when reading tabloids always check the last few paragraphs, they often show the headline is misleading.

Hairyloon
22-09-2010, 15:13
Mr Buston added that One employs nearly 120 people worldwide and so the 5.1million spent on wages would result in an average salary of about 42,500.
I'll bet that the bulk of the staff work for peanuts, and the lion's share of that is paid to the directors, etc.

fake
22-09-2010, 17:12
No you couldn't. Trustees cannot be paid, and what the director is paid is regulated.
You could however set up a fund-raising agency, they can pay their directors whatever they like.

Trustee can be paid and the directors salary is negotiable.

auto98uk
22-09-2010, 22:18
# The concept of unpaid trusteeship has been one of the defining characteristics of the charitable sector, contributing greatly to public confidence in charities.

# The basic principle is that trustees must not put themselves in a position where their personal interests conflict with their duty to act in the interests of the charity unless authorised to do so.

# However, trustees are entitled to have their expenses met from the funds of the charity. Expenses can include a wide range of costs including, for example, travel and other costs of attending meetings, specific telephone and broadband charges, travelling on trustee business, and providing childcare or care of other dependants while attending to trustee business.

# Charities can pay some of their trustees for the supply of services. The power to do this, and the conditions attached to using it, were introduced by the Charities Act 2006 as a change to the Charities Act 1993. The power is summarised in this guidance. The power cannot be used if the governing document prohibits this type of payment.

# A charity trustee may only be paid for serving as a trustee where this is clearly in the interests of the charity and provides a significant and clear advantage over all other options. There is no general power in law for this type of payment – a charity would need a specific authority which may be found in its governing document, or be provided by the Commission, or, more rarely, the Courts.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Publications/cc11.aspx#2