Personal Anti Virus (pav) Removal.

Hello

My son keeps getting a message on his computer that he is about to be infected with a virus unless he buys the programme they are selling. It blocks everything and the can't search to download anything to help.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to removing it manually?

thanks

If I remember correctly (assuming your on windows)...

Start -> Control Panel -> Add / Remove -> ...

Then find the application and double click...

Hello

My son keeps getting a message on his computer that he is about to be infected with a virus unless he buys the programme they are selling. It blocks everything and the can't search to download anything to help.

Does anyone have an idiots guide to removing it manually?

thanks

Personal Antivirus is a rogue software, the same as Antivirus 2009 etc. and is also part of the Vundo virus family.

The first thing you need to do is download SuperAntispyware, fully update it, then run a FULL scan.

The second thing you need to do is download Malwarebytes Anti-malware, fully update it, then run a FULL scan.

You may have to run these in safe mode, but they will tell you if you need to or not, and most of the time will do it automatically.

After the PC is clear, you need to get some decent antivirus on his PC.

Many people like AVG (free) for some reason, but it's completely useless with rootkit virus infections.

Good luck, post back to let us know the results. :thumbsup:

Malwarebytes isn't free if you need to remove PAV. I contacted PAV and got this reply; Thank you for contacting Customer Support Center.

Please follow my instructions to uninstall Personal Antivirus

1.Open My computer, choose Disk C;

2.Find C:\Program Files\Common Files\Uninstall\PAV\Uninstall.lnk

3.Run the Uninstall file.

4.Reboot your computer

It worked for me.

Malwarebytes isn't free if you need to remove PAV. I contacted PAV and got this reply; Thank you for contacting Customer Support Center.

4.Reboot your computer

It worked for me.

Hi, thank you so much for the information you gave in your post. My computer was infected with PAV and I had been trying all sorts of ways to get rid of it. And in the end following the simple steps you listed worked. So simple...no downloads...no fees. Just instant action. So to everyone reading this forum, try Deedar's method.

Glad it worked for you too. PAV are just being really sneaky by hiding the uninstaller away from you.

4.Reboot your computer

It worked for me.

I'm new to the forum so forgive me for bumping an old thread, but i thought it was worthwhile making a couple of points on this.

Firstly the net is awash with these bogus/rogue security companies pushing this "scareware" onto your pc using trojans, drive-by-downloads and other exploits.

They are in it for financial gain and nothing more. NEVER contact them and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give them any personal or financial details whatsoever; (bank or credit card details etc) Who knows what these scammers will do with them.

If you ever have been duped into paying for this junk, contact your bank or credit card company, explain the situation to them and get the payment stopped.

Secondly, Malwarebytes is totally free to scan for and remove this kind of rubbish. The reason the developers give for this on their forum is that whilst you are infected with this junk, who knows what else might have been installed on your pc without your permission. They wouldn't want you inputting any kind of personal or financial information whilst you might have a keylogger or other information stealing malware on your system. (you can pay for the programs realtime protection and other extras, if you so choose, but this isn't obligatory)

To try to determine if this kind of bogus/rogue junk is on your PC, search their site database for the name of it.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php

(CTRL+F --> Rogue.PersonalAntivirus)

Try searching the Web Of Trust for the rogue websites name.

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/personalantivirus.com.18317.fb.dbbsrv.com

(note the actual domain name in this instance is 18317.fb.dbbsrv.com)

This is a product of innovagest2000, who produce similar rogues as well.

(General Antivirus and Internet Antivirus Pro)

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/innovagest2000.com

Edited by waddler8

go to system restore and choose a date before you started getting the messages restore it to that time

go to system restore and choose a date before you started getting the messages restore it to that time

System Restore was never intended to deal with viruses and other malware.

One thing some malware now does is disable or reset System Restore.

System Restore only backs up certain files and types of file extensions. Therefore some malware deliberately avoids these file extensions to help survive a system restore.

I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, the virus writers are far too clever to be thwarted so easily.

My baby sitter went to you tube where she downloaded Personal Antivirus, and I've been cleaning it up ever since, I did notice that an executable file was downloaded with the Personal Antivirus called netfilter.exe. It was located at C:windows/system32, after looking it up I found it wasn't registered to any corporation and after further research found it to be Trojan based file that was a back door entry point for malicious adware. Look out for that executable file. If you see it in your task manager make sure you get rid of it.