Is 'blacking up' racist?

So my mate and I were thinking of whom to dress as for a fancy dress thing and came to this kind of conclusion:

Mark Knopfler - Fair enough, get a couple of sweat bands and roll the sleeves of your suit jacket up.

Jimi Hendrix - Not a chance.

We decided that emulating the style of a black person would probably attract the wrong kind of attention, but would you see this as 'racist'? After all, both ideas are the same result - trying to look like a famous, instantly recognisable figure.

I mean, it's not like I'd go as a black and white minstrel, I think it's fairly obvious that that would offend.

A sensible discussion please...

I wouldnt have a problem with a black bloke whiting up so its safe to asume they wouldnt really have a problem with you blacking up.

If they do then they are looking to be offended so probably will be.

I wouldn't think so, as you're not doing it insultingly.

I dont think anyone would care if you put a load of chains, baggy jeans, oversized t-shirts on etc and went round saying yo dawg, at least I wouldnt, I would just laugh

So my mate and I were thinking of whom to dress as for a fancy dress thing and came to this kind of conclusion:

Mark Knopfler - Fair enough, get a couple of sweat bands and roll the sleeves of your suit jacket up.

We decided that emulating the style of a black person would probably attract the wrong kind of attention, but would you see this as 'racist'? After all, both ideas are the same result - trying to look like a famous, instantly recognisable figure.

I mean, it's not like I'd go as a black and white minstrel, I think it's fairly obvious that that would offend.

Someone I know regularly goes to fancy dress parties as Mr T, blacked up and with the thick gold chains, he even shaves his head into a mohican and draws a beard on in black marker!

Might be seen as offensive by some. Why not go as a white pop star like john lennon or michael jackson.

Only becomes offensive if people let it.

Might be seen as offensive by some. Why not go as a white pop star like john lennon or michael jackson.

saw five kids at butlins for 70s weekend dressed in white trousers..white shirts..coloured tank tops..black curly wigs..and black faces...they were the jackson five.....they looked great....and no one took offence...

Whatever your intentions are it will be deemed as racist. Some will say its disrespectful, you'll probably find that black people wouldn't be bothered and would be more amused. However, you may need to gage a response first.

Then there'll be the white middle class types who spew out all sorts of sociology tripe. If you do it at a university or business event, you'll probably be told its, at the least, inapproriate.

Why don't you test run the idea by walking up Burngreave Rd one night in your costumes:hihi:

this is not a good idea.

try another one.

Its a sad country this has become when what is basically a bit of fun has to be thought out because of the saddos in society,the only people who will take offence will be the white supposedly do gooders ,dont let them win ..go for it.

I can't see any offence. I am South African by birth. In Cape Town they have an annual event called the Coon Carnival. The black folk "black up" and dress as minstrels. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

Only American tourists seem to find offence.