Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

Anybody seen this before?

Its the Film (made by Barry Hines of Kes fame) which shows the lives of 2 sheffield families in the aftermath of a nuclear strike on sheffield

(from IMDB: Documentary style account of a nuclear holocaust and it's affect on the working class city of Sheffield, England; and the eventual long run affects of nuclear war on civilization.)

I can remember seeing Threads in the mid 1970's. It absolutely scared me to death, made even more poignant by the fact that it was shot in Sheffield. I can remember having nightmares for weeks afterwards.

Originally posted by "Mo"

I can remember seeing Threads in the mid 1970's. It absolutely scared me to death, made even more poignant by the fact that it was shot in Sheffield. I can remember having nightmares for weeks afterwards.

dont you mean 1980s? :)

Yeah I bought this film on DVD - aged slightly, but it's still a reasonable film and actually pretty horrific due to the fact you recognise the locations!

Originally posted by "RPG"

dont you mean 1980s? :)

Yes I do sorry. :oops: The old mind gets confused these days.

I saw it when I was 16. I want to see it again because it was such a powerful film, but there's no way I'm going to put myself through it; I don't want weeks of nightmares again.

If this isn't a suitable topic for a thread I don't know what is.

Anybody see/remember the film Threads? It was about the after effects of a nuclear blast over M'cr (no loss there) and was based in Sheffield.

The pub scenes were shot in The Nottingham in Broomhill which was my local at the time. There were lots of location shots based around Sheffield. It's available on video/dvd now so if you get the chance watch it.

OK DaBouncer, see what you've done now, I can't be stopped!

:twisted::twisted:

HA HA.

Can't say I've heard of or seen that one.

Will have a soot around to see if I can see anywhere... I link would be good if you had one maxt!

Originally posted by "RPG"

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=594

one of the first topics in here ;)

the DVD is out of print now, so you'll be lucky to get hold of one

Saw a copy in WH Smiths Meadowhall on Monday 19th May :wink: not getting it tho it wasn't that good

its a worthy investment....

At the time Threads was powerful stuff, I saw it before I moved to Sheffield but can imagine if you lived here you'd be *****ing it.

Another one worthy of mention is Raymond Briggs' cartoon "When the wind blows" about an elderly couple slowly dying after a nuclear blast.