View Full Version : Becoming a paramedic

displaced
20-04-2009, 08:47
Im interested in becoming a paramedic and I was hoping someone has some recent experience about it.

I've read most of the threads on here about it but they are a few years old.

What i was interested in was finding out if south yorkshire are still talking on student paramedic's as I have heard that these roles are getting faded out in favour of the degree paramedic science courses at Hallam,

Im not sure if I could afford to be a student for two years.

and info would be great.

Russet
20-04-2009, 18:07
These websites may help:

http://paramediccareers.co.uk/default.aspx

http://www.careers-gateway.co.uk/links/index/00/0023.htm

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/paramedic_job_description.jsp

Good luck. I once considered becoming a paramedic and sometimes still wish I'd done it - despite all the challenges, the rewards would have been greater!

claire1979
20-04-2009, 20:27
Have a look on the nhs jobs website, they are wanting student paramedics at the moment, posting closes when they have enough applicants.

Good luck,

displaced
21-04-2009, 10:40
Cheers thats great.

does anyone know what support you can get for being a mature student postgrad?

Russet
21-04-2009, 12:00
If it is an undergraduate course, then being a mature student shouldn't stop you getting all the help 'non-mature' students get, as far as I'm aware, I was a mature undergraduate 3 years ago and got a loan, a non-repayable grant and another one from my University. The grants weren't much at all but helped a lot, I also worked part-time all throughout my course and full-time when I could.

Edit - just looked up the Hallam course and it 's a DipHE. Apparently it is classed as an undergraduate course so the support should be the same as for undergrads?
Here http://www.shu.ac.uk/paramedic/ they say that the tuition fees are fully funded for you, as for financial support, ring them up and speak to the admissions/student support people, as they will be able to explain the options to you.

Forumosaurus
01-05-2009, 13:33
I'm certain that the paramedic course at Hallam is only one year long

jester6881
22-12-2009, 14:08
Hi,

I see that 'Assistant practitioner' jobs are now advertised on the South Yorkshire NHS search. Problem is, a C1 license is needed which not everybody has and its about 800 to do the course. Is it worth it?

Anybody on here do the job and can offer advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

LoveWish
23-12-2009, 00:01
hey i am in the same situation. i have a friend who has introduced me to different organizations.

1st option. Volunteer. it will give you all the training and qualifications and could land you a job.

2nd option. Go back to collage and train.

If you want to volunteer look at st johns Or Priority Care....

Hope this helps .. all the best

aa014
25-12-2009, 14:47
becoming a paramdic is very hard know a days since it has become a profeshion that the highest standerds must be met i would advice if you have not got them already is A levels in heath and soshal sience or biolagy science maths and english

then while you are doing that do medical vounteersing i can recemend some places to go if you PM me and also study medical on side in ither doing courses in ICDH EMT course or other courses that goes within pre hospital care there are many courses that you can do to advance but its always be with a group that allows you to practice the training you have been given so you are not just a trained personal so it gives you the skill aswell on top,

yet again if you PM ill give you all the help you will need in this area,

other ways is going in as a PTS Driver or A & E Support or even a Emergencey Care Practishaner but you need first aid knollage and C1 and D1 on your licence,

also up on compleatshion of your SRPAR you need to have got your C1 and D1 before you go on your placment with the relevent ambulance service as you do 1 years placement on the road practive/traing doing alol skills of a Paramedic but observed from a mentor that is assighned to you..

any other Questions please feel free to PM me..

kind Regards
Antony

Im interested in becoming a paramedic and I was hoping someone has some recent experience about it.

I've read most of the threads on here about it but they are a few years old.

What i was interested in was finding out if south yorkshire are still talking on student paramedic's as I have heard that these roles are getting faded out in favour of the degree paramedic science courses at Hallam,

Im not sure if I could afford to be a student for two years.

and info would be great.

aa014
25-12-2009, 14:54
No there is no STR Paramedic course out there that is one year long as there is to much to learn in one year its ither 3 - 4 Years long as there is human biolagy, Drugs Drug Administration, Course Effects, Practice, and many more stuff if it is one year it will be Paramedic prancabols where you get to have a look inside to what a paramedic work is all about and what the course oleeds to so you can have a look if you can cope with it instead of commiting yourself to a life long course/carea and finding out you cant cope with it and giving it in leaving you stuck carea wise which a good thing as i know of one person so fair that gave in after 2 years leaving the carea as he found out he could do the training the work but find it hard dong the care part of being a paramedic as you got to remain sentative and care for the paient as same time treat them and remaining calm...

Ant...

I'm certain that the paramedic course at Hallam is only one year long