The Noose and Gibbet

This pub used to have another name, but I can't remember what. I was wondering does anyone know exactly wy they called the pub this name? I have been told that many years ago someone with the surname Broughton was one of the last people to be hanged from Sheffield. If you look outside the pub there is a model of someone been hanged. Can anyone verify this story? Is the pub named after this guy?

Yes Lickszz you are right. In 1791 Spence Broughton and an accomplice held up the Sheffield and Rotherham Mail and stole post bags. He was not a local man but from Lincolnshire. He was executed a year later in York but his body was brought back to Sheffield and was hung in chains on a gibbet on Attercliffe Common. He hung there for 36 years...incredible but true. :shock:

Originally posted by "Mo"

Yes Lickszz you are right. In 1791 Spence Broughton and an accomplice held up the Sheffield and Rotherham Mail and stole post bags. He was not a local man but from Lincolnshire. He was executed a year later in York but his body was brought back to Sheffield and was hung in chains on a gibbet on Attercliffe Common. He hung there for 36 years...incredible but true. :shock:

Wow, fascinating stuff. Thanks for verifying this for me.

It used to be called The Stadium but I cant remember what it was called before that sorry:(

Try it now Lickszz, I'd put the link in incorrectly :blush:

Yes It works fine now. Thanks for that. Much appreicated.

The pub began with E....... but can't quite remember the name.

Originally posted by Mo

his body was brought back to Sheffield and was hung in chains on a gibbet on Attercliffe Common.

Apparently there's a story connected with this blokes bones being somehow incorporated into crockery hence the term 'bone china'.

The story is told on one of the pubs 'storyboards' but seen as it's a sh|te boozer & I've only had the misfortune to go in once I can't remember the full story.