The Market Tavern

It's near the markets and is/was for sale. Mostly used by market traders and if I remember rightly doesn't open in the evenings.

Last time I went a few years ago it was a typical scruffy town pub, fair few people selling various crap in there.

give this place a wide berth,its a right dump full of the dreggs of society.....worst 3 pubs in sheffield city centre..market tavern,hen and chickens and the cannon.......

Originally posted by kirky

give this place a wide berth,its a right dump full of the dreggs of society.....worst 3 pubs in sheffield city centre..market tavern,hen and chickens and the cannon.......

Not worth buying then, is that the general impression. Is it so bad its beyond hope? Looking for a venue you see for a rock/alternative pub, so if its crappy interior the better (in some ways.....)

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Not worth buying then, is that the general impression. Is it so bad its beyond hope? Looking for a venue you see for a rock/alternative pub, so if its crappy interior the better (in some ways.....)

It would probably be ideal, imo, 'cos there's not much accommodation round there so you could play as loud as you liked.

Originally posted by max

It would probably be ideal, imo, 'cos there's not much accommodation round there so you could play as loud as you liked.

agreed..........it would make a good rock pub........you just need to get rid of the locals........a bit of def leopard/deep purple would that for ya....

Originally posted by goldenfleece

What about the Tramway on London Road? I see that is up for let.

I understand Douggie from the Sheldon has taken the Market Tavern. He's got lots of pubs in town....Tramway is one of his.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

I understand Douggie from the Sheldon has taken the Market Tavern. He's got lots of pubs in town....Tramway is one of his.

i think he's just took over the elm tree on the manor top too

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Someone is moving out this weekend, whoever is the current manager. We went to look over it today with the owners. Huge rooms upstairs, massive dance floor and DJ box, kitchen, real 70's club style decor still there, and an amazing wooden basement bar that has not been used since the 70's. Fantastically large venue actually, but the ground floor bar is horrible. Needs a lot of cash injection.....and sales have slumped by 50% in the last 12 months which is not a good sign.

i'm working at dennis hobsons boxing club tonight,ive just been to set my gear up and its a top little venue(formaly the victoryclub worksop rd) no houses near it at all so you could make as much noise as you like.i reckon you'd get 100+ in there no probs.