Sign in to follow this  

Wildlife Watch - fun for kids

Wildlife Watch groups are a chance for children to get involved in environmental activities, and have fun while doing so. We play games and do stuff like tree and bulb planting, minibeast hunting, wild walks, making bug and bird homes, and loads more.

I run the Norfolk Park Wildlife Watch club with a couple of SCC Rangers. We meet on the second saturday of every month at the Centre in the Park, Norfolk Heritage Park. The group runs from 10.30 - 12.00, and our programme for the next couple of months includes:

December 13th: Christmas craft activities

January 10th: Feed the birds (making bird feeders)

February 14th: Nest box making

March 13th: Living willow sculpture

April 3rd: Spring activities and games

All you have to do to get involved is turn up (with a parent/carer)

There are about eight groups in Sheffield, and most of them meet once a month. They are run by trained volunteers, Wildlife Trust staff, and SCC Rangers. Parents are allowed to stay and play too!

Children are encouraged to join the Wildlife Trust's Watch Club (Junior membership of the Wildlife Trusts nationally) because they get loads of good stuff if they do - but they can just attend their local group which will usually only ask for a minimum voluntary donation (ours is 50p) for refreshments. There are annual get-togethers with other groups, and even the chance to go on a residential trip (the next is to Filey in 2004)

If you'd like to know more about the Norfolk Park Watch Group, feel free to give me (Laura) a ring on 0114 2792665. Or just come along to a group.

If you'd like to know more about Watch in general, ring Nikki, Sheffield Wildlife Trust Watch Co-ordinator, on 01709 723127

PS

:wave: hello to all my forum friends! I'm still here!

Hello Cosy,

Nice to see you again.

Just one question:

When you say 'children' can you give some indication of age range.

cheers

Nomme

Hi, Nomme.

At local Watch groups we accept children of all ages up to 14yrs, with the condition that children under 8 MUST be accompanied by a parent/carer. (The parents seem to have as much fun as the littl 'uns)

It's 8 - 14 yrs to actually join Wildlife Watch as a paid-up member, (which you don't have to do to attend Watch groups, eg. none of our kids at Norfolk Park are members)

All we need is for parents to bring their kids on the day, fill in a consent form, and then we all go off and have fun.

It's a pity about the 14+ age range, but it's something the Wildlife Trusts are looking at. Generally at 14+ the young people feel it isn't sophisticated enough to be seen running around with younger kids. We have youth workers out in the community (I do that too, save my soul) but I reckon we could do with a Club specifically aimed at young people (14 - 21 yrs or so)

Hi cosy!! If i had any kids I'd definitely send them! Nice to see you again! :wave: