View Full Version : Lunar Picnic Report ...


Phanerothyme
23-06-2005, 09:20
We had a moonlit picnic on Higger Tor last night!

Were you there?

Much fun had by all I hope - thanks for turning up and making it happen.

The moon rose eventually - blood red at first, and then golden yellow.

Mind you, we had to go round Picnic Site 'b' and pick up all the tab ends before we went - messy lot. :P

some pics of it all here (http://www.netheredge.com/galleries/lunarpicnic1). I've crunched the levels in a few pics, right up to almost 'night vision' so some of the pics are pretty grainy.

nomme
23-06-2005, 10:10
What's that 'dot' on the left handside in this pic :

http://netheredge.com/galleries/lunarpicnic1/pages/DSCN4351.html

I recall seeing something similar that close to the moon before, but it doesn't look like a star.

Nomme

Modesty
23-06-2005, 10:24
Is that Phil W in the hat?

Phanerothyme
23-06-2005, 10:49
Originally posted by Modesty
Is that Phil W in the hat? Yes it is. Not sure he's gonna be too chuffed at having his mug posted online!
Originally posted by nomme
What's that 'dot' on the left handside in this pic :

http://netheredge.com/galleries/lunarpicnic1/pages/DSCN4351.html

I recall seeing something similar that close to the moon before, but it doesn't look like a star.

Nomme

I thought i't might have been a dead pixel, but right close up on the full resolution image, it is a globular feature.

No idea what it was

msbehavin
23-06-2005, 10:56
and is that Hels and Ruby in another pic??? Would have loved to have been there but was tooooooo tired! Did have a good gander at the moon over Meadowhead through daughters binoculars to console myself however...

Phanerothyme
23-06-2005, 16:55
Yes, Hels, Ruby Adaline, Kristian MelonAngel J-Blaze, and others made it up there too, but decided to have a second picnic 10 yards away :P

The moon was well above the horizon when we left amidst much howling and waving of flaming torches.

All in all I had a great evening, and special thanks go to Will, Melon's fella, for bringing smoked salmon sandwiches, cucumber sandwiches and Pimms, thereby raising the whole tone of the affair (which was immediately lowered by the rest of us banging out arrhythmias on our djembes!

Drums, frisbees, luminous pointy things, fine food & drink and the best company made it a night to remember.

Hels
23-06-2005, 17:42
It was phantastic!

We did try to clear up all the rubbish and take it with us, was far too dark to find the tab ends though (sorry) but we did make sure all cigs were stubbed out properly.

Will deffo bring a torch next time :hihi:

Pimms! Wow missed that one!

Phanerothyme
23-06-2005, 19:40
Originally posted by Hels
It was phantastic!

We did try to clear up all the rubbish and take it with us, was far too dark to find the tab ends though (sorry) but we did make sure all cigs were stubbed out properly.

Will deffo bring a torch next time :hihi:

Pimms! Wow missed that one!

Winter Solstice Picnic anyone?

jgharston
24-06-2005, 11:15
Originally posted by Phanerothyme
I thought i't might have been a dead pixel, but right close up on the full resolution image, it is a globular feature.

No idea what it was

It was probably a comms satellite. Some of them are low enough and big enough to be visible. If you watch it long enough and it passes in front of the moon, it's an artificial satellite.

--
JGH

Phanerothyme
24-06-2005, 17:38
and at a similar declination to the moon, it too would be reflecting the same red light.

That makes sense, although perhaps I would have expected to leave a small streak, rather than a blob given the 1 -1.5 s exposure time.