Study by Office for National Statistics

I've received a letter from the ''Office for National Statistics'' telling me I have been selected from the Post office list of address's to take part in a National survey and someone will be coming to my home next week to conduct an interview.

Subjects covered are, types of jobs we have, types of food we eat, how and what we spend money on etc etc

The enclosed booklet infers its compulsory and the Envelope is marked ''On Her Majesty's Service''

Anyone come across this before and is it compulsory, I've nothing to hide but don't think its any one's business except mine and totally dislike Govt busy bodies.

Any info would be gratefully received, many thanks Guys and Gals

Call them and say you'd rather not take part if you don't want to do it, as it may not be compulsory. There's nothing sinister about what they do though, it's only like filling in a census return (which is compulsory) but with more interesting questions.

You can be sent to prison if you don't comply

I think I did that once.

Prison - That's not going to happen.

You can be sent to prison if you don't comply

I think thats the Census forn which comes out about every 10 yrs, but I could be wrong.

I was part of a survey on working and training patterns for the ONS a couple of years ago, which entailed having a phone interview 4 times over a 2 year period. It really wasn't any hassle, although I can understand why people would choose not to discuss things with them.

If you don't want to participate then don't do it, but the only way that they can be sure that their data is truly random is to get the addresses picked off a database by a computer. I'm sure that it's also factored into their calculations for the number of people who won't answer the letter or who reply that they don't want to participate.

I did this survey just before Christmas, a lady came to the house it took about fifteen minutes, its all legal and above board, they only choose acouple of people from each area

About two years ago i had a letter from the same office asking for financial details of my business. I had to supply the figures monthly for 15 months, these were supposedly to compile the monthly retail statistics.

I can't remember what it was, but there was a hefty fine if i refused, there was even a fine (this was about £1000, i think) if i was above a week late with the figures.

So, even thought they had the VAT and Tax returns, these weren't good enough, they still wanted more details about me and there was no choice, straight in with the big stick.

I did a financial survey for ONS once - an old chap had been asking people to participate and everyone was being rude to him about it, even though it was an official one. My mum also did one about the TV she watched.