Canoeing in Sheffield

I was out canoeing on the canal this morning, preparing for a charity canoe paddle in aid of the sheffield childrens hospital and saw one of the most beautiful sights in sheffields industrial area. The stretch of canal just behind Don Valley stadium was a Kingfisher. We followed up the canal towards the city centre for about a quarter of a mile as it darted skimming the water from tree to tree. A majestic sight amongst the workings of the city

Roger

http://www.justgiving.com/llynlakeloch2009

i think there is a section somewhere for birds n stuff

I was out canoeing on the canal this morning, preparing for a charity canoe paddle in aid of the sheffield childrens hospital and saw one of the most beautiful sights in sheffields industrial area. The stretch of canal just behind Don Valley stadium was a Kingfisher. We followed up the canal towards the city centre for about a quarter of a mile as it darted skimming the water from tree to tree. A majestic sight amongst the workings of the city

Roger

http://www.justgiving.com/llynlakeloch2009

Where abouts do you go canoeing?

I am looking at buying a kayak this spring and look to join the BCU to enable me to kayak on canals in the area. I know there is the canal from Victoria Quays towards Tinsley and there are a few that make up the canal system through Chesterfield. Are these good canals to kayak along and are there any rivers (with the correct permissions) within a 30 min drive that are worth a day out on?

The silent approach of a canoe often affords you some wonderful sights.

Not much point in buying a kayak if you want to paddle canals. That's what canoes were made for.

I know but I'm not too sure what Rivers there are within 30 mins that I can Kayak on. I have Canoed on a Canal in down in Surrey which meant dragging it out of the water every so often which quickly became tedious!

I much prefer Rivers, far more relaxing and usually more picturesque. Any suggestions?

the don can be fun in the right level of water Deepcar to oughtibridge sheffield canoe culb use the river just above oughtibridge. there is also the derwent at matlock bath but just a small section. contact bcu for access agreements regards Roger

good idea will help yo get to know the area and its water

good idea will help yo get to know the area and its water

Exactly. Something I will be looking into in due course!! Just wait for the weather to improve a tad and then save a bit of money then start my search!!

Does anyone know if the BCU negotiate access to rivers at certain points? I know that access to Canals is grated to BCU members through their membership. Just not too clear on River access.