Is Fishing Cruel?

Is fishing for pleasure cruel?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is fishing for pleasure cruel?

• Yes - its pointless and causes unnecessary distress to fish
    • No - fish don't count, they're not furry enough
    • Don't care - I'll never get suffocated and have a hook put in my head so why should I?
    • Not sure - depends on what fish can actually feel and how long they remember for

By request of cycleracer.....

Excuse my ignorance, but are we talking about fishing for pleasure or fishing to eat the fish?

Fishing for pleasure seems a bit pointless.

Fishing for food is cruel, but so is killing animals - but I like to eat them so that's something I'll just have to live with.

Originally posted by Tony Ruscoe

Excuse my ignorance, but are we talking about fishing for pleasure or fishing to eat the fish?

Fishing for pleasure seems a bit pointless.

Fishing for food is cruel, but so is killing animals - but I like to eat them so that's something I'll just have to live with.

We're talking about fishing for pleasure - pointless distressing a creature for amusement.

Eating is part of the food chain.

Originally posted by t020

We're talking about fishing for pleasure - pointless distressing a creature for amusement.

Eating is part of the food chain.

Got to agree with t020 on this one. Fishing for pleasure is a bit pointless, sad and unnecessary.

some might think typing on a forum,,going on the net or owning a computer sad but its what you like doing.

I like fishing, Cycling comes first but i,m injured at present so i crave the outdoors and fishing to me is the next best thing.

Its as simple as that.

Oh while i,m on this thread a simple NO would have been sufficiant rather than putting words in ones mouth just to vote NO.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

some might think typing on a forum,,going on the net or owning a computer sad but its what you like doing.

I like fishing, Cycling comes first but i,m injured at present so i crave the outdoors and fishing to me is the next best thing.

Its as simple as that.

Oh while i,m on this thread a simple NO would have been sufficiant rather than putting words in ones mouth just to vote NO.

The difference being that typing on the forum doesn't harm another living being.

Well, not physically anyway......

Originally posted by max

Got to agree with t020 on this one. Fishing for pleasure is a bit pointless, sad and unnecessary.

Oh my god, I'm shocked! Max agrees with me!

Originally posted by max

I could equally claim the same for Formula 1 racing for example. Each to their own.

No - I don't fish for pleasure regularly, but I have done and would do again, and I can understand why it is the most popular sport in Britain.

I agree with what Phan' said on the other thread about a sliding scale of perceived sentience. Fish rate very low on my scale. Hmm. At the risk of raising people’s ire even more I’ll even admit I’ve done experiments with them.

So ‘no’ I don’t think it’s cruel.

Nomme

Originally posted by nommedenet

I could equally claim the same for Formula 1 racing for example. Each to their own.

No - I don't fish for pleasure regularly, but I have done and would do again, and I can understand why it is the most popular sport in Britain.

I agree with what Phan' said on the other thread about a sliding scale of perceived sentience. Fish rate very low on my scale. Hmm. At the risk of raising people’s ire even more I’ll even admit I’ve done experiments with them.

Nomme

I have to agree with you - not about the Formula 1 tho ;)

Originally posted by nommedenet

Nomme

Again, Formula 1 doesn't harm other living beings, other than those who VOLUNTARILY take part. What say did the fish have in becoming someones idea of entertainment for the day?

Its the fishermans licence fee's that go toward the upkeep of these lovely riversides you walk along side on a summers evening instead of walking along a grassy bank looking into a polluted waterway.

Fisherman actually do good for the enviroment unlike car drivers driving the porsches to the local shops.

;)

Mispelt posh car noted.

So, it's ok if your eating it? So, do you support every angler taking whatever they catch home for supper?

Fishing is fishing, IMO if you eat fish your supporting it.

Like I said previously, For pleaure the fish lives and for food it dies.