'Tales From A Hard City' (was Sheffield Sex City)

anyone rember this programme ?

i still cringe when i think about it ...... the stupid girl from sheffield who thought she could sing and the ****** from wyborn who actually thought he could sing i can still rember some of the lyrics to his song ...somthing along the lines of do my bird before my time etc god am i the only one who can rember it:P :D

I don't remember that one, but I do remember a film called 'Tales From A Hard City' which was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on telly - though also excruciatingly embarrassing for all Sheffielders.

It was a weird documentary about 4 individuals from the city - a daft lass trying to make it as a singer/dancer, a deluded lad who thought he was great at karaoke and thus would be able to become a famous singer, a showbiz impresario under the impression that he could bring the previous 2 to stardom, and an out of work actor who seemed to think he was going to be big in the movies.

It must be about 10 years since it was first on TV, but I well recall watching the whole sorry thing through my fingers. The scene in which the out of work actor tried to convince a Skoda garage to give him a sponsored car (even though he couldn't drive) on the basis that one day he was going to be famous kind of summed it all up.

think that was the show i was on about ...and didnt the girl singer have this posh manager who was convinced she could sing wonderd what happend to the wyborn lad lol

It Is Tales From A Hard City, Ive got it on an old VHS somewhere. :)

Im glad ive found this thread, That "stupid lass" is my cousin, that manager used to own Mad Greek Resturant, he was nowt but a fat perv.

She made some right coin out of it, she even went topless in the sunday sport :o

I remember when she was on the Big Breakfast, made herself look like a right twerp :hihi:

Shes not doing to bad these days :)

Originally posted by owlsman

Im glad ive found this thread, That "stupid lass" is my cousin, that manager used to own Mad Greek Resturant, he was nowt but a fat perv.

LOL, please accept my apologies for the 'daft lass' comment, it's nothing personal of course. It was a very funny film I'm sure you'll agree, and it seemed set up to make everyone concerned look... well... a few shillings short of a pound.

The very funniest bit of all was the karaoke lad's (white) mate singing like Shabba Ranks while razzing up and down the road on a little motorbike.

Was this the one where the guy doing the karaoke had really long black hair and the pub was on park hill ?

Could have the wrong programme though, it may have been something like "the hardest pubs in England"....or something similar.

Originally posted by Damon

LOL, please accept my apologies for the 'daft lass' comment, it's nothing personal of course. It was a very funny film I'm sure you'll agree, and it seemed set up to make everyone concerned look... well... a few shillings short of a pound.

The very funniest bit of all was the karaoke lad's (white) mate singing like Shabba Ranks while razzing up and down the road on a little motorbike.

Lol, no probs :hihi: It was sooooo funny, she looks like a right berk. I still watch it from time to time for entertainment purposes. :D

Me too. It's a comedy classic!

"I only smoke da weed an' ting."

Originally posted by Damon

"I only smoke da weed an' ting."

LOL, Classic :D

I remember cringing throughout it.

My fave moment was when the Peter Stringfellow wannabe in the Fountain Bar was arranging a 'talent' show, and his young son (must've only been 10 or so) bluntly told him that it was rubbish.

it's a great film, but i reckon the producers egged on the participants to act stupid in order to get the less-than-flattering footage...

e.g. would a boxer at brendan ingle's really go into skoda's for a free car without a cameraman egging him on and saying "go on, you'll get one 'cos yer on telly"!

i liked the bit where the young lad spent twenty quid on a digital diary to tell him how much he owed everyone!!!

i actually thought the rap was quite good....

The producers of the film, Picture Palace North, based in The Workstation, are currently close to finishing a second installment. I'm not sure whether the characters continue from the first film, but they've been out and about collecting footage over the past year. It's partially funded by Channel 5 this time.

Will be a good while before it's released I think