Leaving a car running unattended - legality?

Does anyone know the ins and outs of the 'quitting' offence in the road traffic act (introduced in 88?). All I can really find on it is it's illegal for anyone bar the firebrigade to leave a vehicle running unattended or out of control (handbrake).

Is it only on the highway or on private property too? What constitutes as 'unattended'?

I have heard of people getting pulled for leaving the car running while they nipped in the paper shop even though it was 5am, is that the type of thing you are thinking of.

No, he means like this.

they are starting to fine people for engine idling also. So if you park up and leave the car running while waiting any length of time you get a fine. not sure if this is just up here or all over the country.

Inspector Jo Keay, geographic co-ordinator for Copull and Wheeton, said: "As the car was parked on the road unattended and left running with the keys in the ignition the individual was committing an offence of 'quitting'.

My bold.. Hows that for a coincidence.

I have heard of people getting pulled for leaving the car running while they nipped in the paper shop even though it was 5am, is that the type of thing you are thinking of.

Well more when I warm it up on the drive in the mornings (see stagewalkers link). I don't usually do that even if I'm literally only a couple of seconds, I've only ever done it in an emergency or when warming up in the mornings.

Does anyone know why it is illegal? Is it to stop crime or something else? I warm mine up on the drive in the morning but it's not unattended as I'm next to the window overlooking it and I either lock it up or steering lock it if a bike, or use a steering lock or spare key to lock it if it's my car so no one can just jump on and go.

they are starting to fine people for engine idling also. So if you park up and leave the car running while waiting any length of time you get a fine. not sure if this is just up here or all over the country.

What's an unacceptable length of time, how do they record it and how do they prove it? :huh:

Inspector Jo Keay, geographic co-ordinator for Copull and Wheeton, said: As the car was parked on the road unattended and left running with the keys in the ignition the individual was committing an offence of 'quitting'

"The Driver and the Environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults."

Infact those quotes suggests it's only if done on a highway. It would've been bizarre if on your drive too.

is this a joke? what about buses and taxis humming away when waiting at the station ortaxi rank? I often run mine on my own land (with a locked steel gate) in a morning. Emissions wise it's surely no worse than a 25 yr old bus honking away in the bus station. I'd refuse to pay, i'd have a day in court too, if need be.

Having been in a car that the heater wiring caught fire all of a sudden (and not an old banger either!) I can see the point, although a £30 FPN seems harsh.

If I hadn't been in the vehicle and reacted quickly, rather than just a couple of burnt out wire4s isolated by removing the fuse and made safe again, the whole car could have gone up in flames - and most likely would have if I had been out of the car.

So it's not a totally stupid rule, just heavy-handed implementation in my opinion.

I have a cordless rechargeable de-icer that is set on a timer to blow short butsts of warm air, not constant or hot enough to cause a glass-cracking sudden temperature change, it's more akin to breathing on it (but without the moisture!) to slowly deice over half an hour. Neat little (okay, not so little) gadget.

is this a joke? what about buses and taxis humming away when waiting at the station ortaxi rank? I often run mine on my own land (with a locked steel gate) in a morning. Emissions wise it's surely no worse than a 25 yr old bus honking away in the bus station. I'd refuse to pay, i'd have a day in court too, if need be.

Buses are supposed to turn their engines off in stations.

Buses and taxies aren't unattended though are they?

I think it is something to do with only having the handbrake on and what could happen if it ran away without a driver?

I remember when I was an apprentice over 40 years ago I once had to stand by a lorry with the engine running because of a flat battery, with instructions to turn it off if a copper came.

No, he means like this.
In this case it does state that the police tried to offer the driver advice, but his obstinate attitude to his car being theft proof left them no choice but to throw the book at him

why does he think that thieves wouldn't smash the window to steal his car?

Fantastic that the police are doing something proactive about crime

prevention is much better than mopping up afterwards