View Full Version : Sleep or lack of it

johnphillips
24-12-2008, 06:50
does anyone else suffer with lack of sleep like me its a proper pain in the axxe
im getting about 2 hours a night then once i wake up i have to get up.ive tried zoppiclone but still the same happens 2 hours and wide awake.

jenz245
24-12-2008, 09:18
Im exactly the same and after a while it can really get you down, Im at work now after having a lovely 3 hours!

I can't recommend anything so if anyone can i would really appreciate it!

Sheff2006
24-12-2008, 09:37
Ive been like this for years. Tricyclic anti-depressants have the good side effect of making me sleepy so I take it at night. These work better than a short course of Temazepam.

The best over the counter variety are the ones containing the sedating antihistamine Diphenhydramine.

Hope this helps.

spoofs
24-12-2008, 11:41
Not being able to sleep is awful it's so frustrating! Whenever i get bouts of insomnia i move my bed to the opposite side of the room. Always works for me so worth i try i spose

Pauline BHG
24-12-2008, 21:41
Me too. Drives me crazy, but none of the *typical* remedys help. :(

MonkeyLover
25-12-2008, 03:56
Yeh its really annoying. I woke up at 2.30 this morning (its Christmas Day) and Im still messing around on the computer at 4.00 am. Its really maddening because i am wide awake and I know im going to be really knackred later! think i might open just one prezzie........................

verona
25-12-2008, 05:32
No matter what time I go to bed, I always wake up about 4ish then I can't get back to sleep and have to get up. Reckon it must be stress because I didn't used to be like this.

I read somewhere that if you wake up and can't get back to sleep you should move to another room to see if that works and if after 20 mins you are still awake, get up and just sit in a dark room untill you feel tired. Doesn't work for me though. They say the worse thing to do is read or go on the internet because this makes you brain active, but I find doing these things takes my mind of it and makes me sleepy.

I'll be knackered in a bit and will go back to bed but then I'll not want to get up later.

mojo1
25-12-2008, 06:05
Mooooose! and thats all I have to say on the subject!

fiveof
25-12-2008, 11:02
i suffer from really bad nightmares when i do eventually manage to drop off, which is usually after about three hours of tossing and turning, and generally wake up with a headache every morning aswell as i havent rested well. its crap.

medusa
25-12-2008, 11:31
I really feel for everyone who can't sleep- I value my sleep and actively enjoy it so I know that I'd really have issues with not getting enough.

My (glib) answer is to get a disease which has chronic pain as a side effect, then you'll be prescribed plenty of things which make you sleep. I'm currently on 12 hours a day, but it's more like temporary coma than a proper sleep IFKWIM.

Thingything
25-12-2008, 17:37
Is only 1 answer...Alchohol,and LOTS of it

Dizzyblonde
25-12-2008, 17:38
Personally I recommend Yoga, or something similar which teaches relaxation.

Coral Water
25-12-2008, 17:43
I go through bouts of not getting enough sleep like in the last few weeks, i fall asleep whenits time to get up. My sleep is usually disturbed by my inconsiderate neighbours.

skinz
25-12-2008, 18:05
Sex...and lots of it...i mean LOTS of it...and a bit more to boot!

Bloomdido
25-12-2008, 18:20
I know people who swear by some herbs that have been deemed illegal by the powers that be. It worked for my mother after diazepam and temazepan stopped working (after the doses of these 'legal' drugs had been upped to criminal levels). It has also helped me to put myself out on rare occasions of real pain caused by an abscess.

Sheff2006
25-12-2008, 19:24
Is only 1 answer...Alchohol,and LOTS of it

Alcohol to make you sleep is a bad idea according to experts.

Aries22
25-12-2008, 19:25
I really feel for everyone who can't sleep- I value my sleep and actively enjoy it so I know that I'd really have issues with not getting enough.

My (glib) answer is to get a disease which has chronic pain as a side effect, then you'll be prescribed plenty of things which make you sleep. I'm currently on 12 hours a day, but it's more like temporary coma than a proper sleep IFKWIM.

I'am up with medusa on this, and usually manage about 12 hours too, but on the other hand, would rather have 3 hours sleep then have to take all the drugs and booze to sleep.

P.J.
27-12-2008, 23:08
Try sleepeaze 50mg, available over the counter from boots, I find these work really well.

Dana-
28-12-2008, 01:31
alcohol does make you sleep, it just when you wake up you could have a nasty headache ;) Sex is a great remedy too, as long as its good sex! However, I go through phases where i have a normal sleep schedule, then for a week or two i can't sleep and i stay up all night and sleep all day. I hate pilling myself to sleep, but i do if i have to.

johnphillips
28-12-2008, 01:57
i just cant sleep ive tried everything going like i said in the opening post 2 hours tops then i'm wide awake like now.

Dana-
28-12-2008, 05:44
do you drink or eat anything in the evening. I know some people, even young people, who cannot sleep if they eat past a certain time. My grandmother does not eat past 6 pm and my younger friend does not eat past 9 pm. Sometimes even a cup of tea will keep you wired and awake for a while.

happyhippy
28-12-2008, 08:44
I've been like it since before a teenager. Even a good few beers has never worked.

What doesn't help me though is that I prefer the night to the day. I've regularly had 48/72 hour days (without illegal substances), because I just cannot sleep.

Working during the middle of these periods has always been fun.

Dana-
28-12-2008, 08:52
I also prefer night to day. i think that is cause to many of my sleepless nights...