Radio Sheffield

Does anybody here listen to BBC Radio Sheffield? If you do what do you think of all the recent changes?

It's pretty obvious that the target audience for radio Sheff has changed because the station has been revolutionised and not for the better. I'm not averse to change but the standard of broadcasting has definitely declined. I listen to much more radio than telly as I like to get on with other things at the same time but hardly listen to Radio Sheff at all these days. I hate the term 'dumbing down' but can't think of a better description of what has happened. :evil:

I asked the station if I could interview them about their policies and plans for the future. I was then going to post their answers on the forum. However, the person I spoke to firmly (and rather rudely) informed me that they weren't interested and they would only take listener's individual questions. I then asked if they would be interested in showing support for Sheffield Forum by mentioning the site to their listeners. Yet another rude reply informed me that they have their own discussion area. So much for "public" broadcasting :(

Geoff, have you tried Hallam?

Changes are not always for the best and personally I think the changes made in radio sheffield recently are a step backward.

First of all why don't they tell some of their presenters to smarten themselves up, we went to meadowhall when it was giving a show from there.

One presenter called Rony Robinson, was dressed in clothes that I wouldn't be seen dead in, for a man of advanced years the clothes he wore were ridiculous.

He would have looked more at home as a clown in a circus, also that face fungus he wears makes him look scruffy, it is not even cut or trimmed. I felt embarrased just looking at him. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I miss Tony Capstick allthough Toby Foster Is funny in a different way. When he first started his show it was a bit of a shock to the system, I guess no-one likes change.

Any one know what Capstick is doing these days ?

As for Rony Robinson, he is the most genuine broadcaster have have listened to. He can wear what he likes for me, he even did a show in the nude once. Shock horror.:wow:

Originally posted by geoffbowen

I then asked if they would be interested in showing support for Sheffield Forum by mentioning the site to their listeners. Yet another rude reply informed me that they have their own discussion area. So much for "public" broadcasting :(

I'm not surprised they don't support Sheffield Forum. It's a competitor! BBC South Yorkshire has its own messageboard, but it is very poor... :(

I've only been listening to BBC Radio Sheffield over the past couple of months, but I like it. They have this woman with a nice voice on most of the time, and the news is very local (South Yorkshire only, no mention of those villages in North Yorkshire).

And it's a lot better than Radio 1

Not very fair competition as it's all paid for out of our licence fees and not self funded like this forum or any other site.

I don't see a problem with mentioning Sheffield Forum as it is not a business out to make a profit, just like the beeb.

:?

I don't listen to radio Sheffield i,m a radio 2 dedicate but radio stations are trying to find a younger audiance these days and stations like Gallaxy and Hallam loose there elder listeners to stations like Radio 2.

I like a bit of Gallaxy and Hallam but they play the same music and it gets a bit much, so radio 2 and the slipper brigade for me thankyou.

Actually radio 2 is pulling in more young listeners and apparantly the station is become trendy.

Very true, CR

It must be the Terry Wogan effect

;)

Is Winton Cooper still at Radio Sheffield? I used to listen to him every weekend when I was a kid.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

Actually radio 2 is pulling in more young listeners and apparantly the station is become trendy.

I don't think this is true... I think it's just that younger people are getting older :lol:

hallam fm is the best radio station around. Galaxy is 2nd best...........i used ti have a crush on phoneboy from hallam fm till i met him! ew!