View Full Version : Future Classics

Little Buzz
04-11-2008, 13:59
The PT Cruiser thread got me thinking - what current cars do you think will be future classics?

I reckon classic status requires a few things:

a certain affection for the car when it was new
a rarity value when older
something distinctive about the car.

By my reckoning the following will become classics:

BMW Mini (iconic)
Ford Ka (early ones seem to be rusting away, but they are everywhere - and as they disappear people will miss them)
Citroen AX (will all fall to pieces, but people who are young now will want one when they get to midlife)

Any others?

Mutley00
05-11-2008, 12:57
Sorry - dont agree with you at all

BMW Mini - Fat chance. Just a copy of something that is British and classic.

Ford Ka - An ugly mass produced shopping car -just like the Fiesta, except the Fiesta isn't ugly.

Citroen Saxo - Ha - A French rust bucket.

What about a Lotus Elise?

Little Buzz
05-11-2008, 13:39
The Elise, definitely.

I don't mean the Ka and Saxo will be Classics like, say, A MK1 Jag is a classic - more in the way the coke-bottle Cortina is - nothing amazing at the time, but people have a notalgic fondness for them because they used to be everywhere.

probedb
07-11-2008, 16:33
I'm hoping my RX7 will be one day :)

Skatiechik
08-11-2008, 17:40
I am sure it will be, anything over a certain age will be a classic.

IAMGOD
15-11-2008, 03:09
Well old Jags were considered bangers in the 80's. Same with dagenham dustbins....So who knows.

The AX (not saxo..) was a pretty innovative car when launched, 0.30 drag factor, lightweight materials, and 60 mpg. Not the most robust car, but one thing they don't do is rust. Some how I don't think I'll come over all nostalgic about it though!

Ka could be, I mean it RUSTS so it has all the classic qualities ;-)

spooferman
21-11-2008, 17:07
MK1 Toyota MR2. or the MK2 are nice

Darbees
21-11-2008, 17:12
MK1 Toyota MR2. or the MK2 are niceI've got a scrap one of those for sale, good running engine amongst other bits.

Darbees
21-11-2008, 17:15
The PT Cruiser thread got me thinking - what current cars do you think will be future classics?

I reckon classic status requires a few things:

a certain affection for the car when it was new
a rarity value when older
something distinctive about the car.

By my reckoning the following will become classics:

BMW Mini (iconic)
Ford Ka (early ones seem to be rusting away, but they are everywhere - and as they disappear people will miss them)
Citroen AX (will all fall to pieces, but people who are young now will want one when they get to midlife)

Any others?Too many of them to become classics. PT Cruiser won't be either and they are giving them away at the moment here. (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/chi-buy-one-car-get-second-for-one-dollar-promotion-oak-lawn.html)

Little Buzz
21-11-2008, 17:39
That's my point though - early Kas are already starting to rust away and they're only 12.

Minis might be a bit better built - but people still crash them or scrap them when they get costly to repair - the 3 series of late 80's vintage was built like a tank, but seeing one is a rare treat now - even more so if it isn't modified.

hitman
21-11-2008, 21:56
I've got a scrap one of those for sale, good running engine amongst other bits.what is it,mk1 or 2 an how much would you be wanting for it:)

spooferman
22-11-2008, 11:48
what is it,mk1 or 2 an how much would you be wanting for it:)

1st dibbs:hihi:

Darbees
22-11-2008, 14:37
what is it,mk1 or 2 an how much would you be wanting for it:)

1st dibbs
You can fight over it. It's a mk1, the body is in poor condition and there are no front bits on it as they have been put onto another one. It has a good engine and will drive however. Make me an offer.

hitman
22-11-2008, 15:53
1st dibbs:hihi:all yours pal:thumbsup:,dont need another long term project:)

spooferman
22-11-2008, 17:40
ah mines MK2

nuts77
14-12-2008, 10:36
i have a 1990 bmw e30 318is thats not been modified and is in great cond (give any new car a run for its money) plus it drives great and is individual, not like the mass produced cars on the road. i absolutely love it n will never get rid of it so i hope one day it becomes a classic - if it isn't already as they didn't make alot of them at the time.

Darbees
15-12-2008, 11:46
i have a 1990 bmw e30 318is thats not been modified and is in great cond (give any new car a run for its money) plus it drives great and is individual, not like the mass produced cars on the road. i absolutely love it n will never get rid of it so i hope one day it becomes a classic - if it isn't already as they didn't make alot of them at the time.Not mass produced? They made over 2 million E30s and the 318 with it's 100bhp of pure power wasn't taken out of production for nothing. Only E30 that will be/is a classic is the M3.

spooferman
15-12-2008, 17:55
i have a 1990 bmw e30 318is thats not been modified and is in great cond (give any new car a run for its money) plus it drives great and is individual, not like the mass produced cars on the road. i absolutely love it n will never get rid of it so i hope one day it becomes a classic - if it isn't already as they didn't make alot of them at the time.

www.E30zone.co.uk

the 318 is 16v was about 118bhp

nuts77
18-12-2008, 19:33
i resent your suggestion (darbees) that my car is rubbish............thats your opinion.........wasn't posting to provoke an argument.guess theres always a know it all with a point to prove.

Tricky
18-12-2008, 19:57
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2008/219615/mg_zt.html

MG ZT or ZTT (Longbridge made). Already bizarrely topping the Autotrader sportscar of the year despite being an estate and out of production for 3 years.

Darbees
19-12-2008, 11:12
i resent your suggestion (darbees) that my car is rubbish............thats your opinion.........wasn't posting to provoke an argument.guess theres always a know it all with a point to prove.I can't see anywhere that I said it was rubbish. What point am I tying to prove, I just stated some facts. You like your car and that is all that matters.

petwar
27-12-2008, 21:09
i think the vw sirocco and corrado will be very collectable in the future! prices are slowly starting to rise already. and now vw have released the new sirocco the old one will probably become more desireable

spooferman
28-12-2008, 17:14
The new sirocco is well not sure i can use words to describe it but:gag::gag::gag::gag::gag:

But the old one very good car. Not many around now. I sent mine to the rust grave 10 yrs ago:loopy::loopy:

petwar
28-12-2008, 21:37
i have to disagree on that one, the new one is gorgous!

Smack Jack
02-01-2009, 11:41
Celica GT4 could be a future classic. Maybe the Hyundai Coupe too - there are a few around but not too many (distinctive looks though). The MX5 as well surely must be a future classic. Mazda cant produce it forever - but it has been iconic. I reckon a good early MX5 or Eunos could one day be a good classic to have!

Darbees
02-01-2009, 14:13
Celica GT4 could be a future classic. Maybe the Hyundai Coupe too - there are a few around but not too many (distinctive looks though). The MX5 as well surely must be a future classic. Mazda cant produce it forever - but it has been iconic. I reckon a good early MX5 or Eunos could one day be a good classic to have!Just wiping the coffee off my keyboard after reading the Hyundai bit. The Mazda may become a classic because of what it represents but I think there are too many of them around for them to be worth anything extra as a classic.

suvy
09-01-2009, 18:58
i have a mk2 astra convertable on wilkapedia it says just under 7000 were built you dont see many anymore even normal cars seem to be nearly extinct now so could become collectable also have a classic mini already collectable few more years prices should start to rise

spooferman
09-01-2009, 21:11
the Astra GTE will be a classic! if they all havn't rusted away! The convertable/pram erm lol

suvy
10-01-2009, 14:49
pram how u work that out more desireable soft top cars

spooferman
10-01-2009, 18:30
never been a fan of wragtops. not my thing

cmann
24-01-2009, 17:25
Scooby Impreza Sport Mk1 will be a classic in the future. Non Turbo so not pushed to the limit every day. Less tendency to have stupid modifications made to original spec which is what a true classic car enthusiast should look for. Engineered to a very high standard so will stand the test of time. High quality steel used for body shell. A lot better looking than the updated models including the latest 5 door version which looks more like a Daewoo Lanos. Fun to drive. 4WD traction. A boot that can be used by a family. Mine is in A1 mint condition on an S plate and still turns heads. My son has already asked if we can keep it until he starts to drive in 8 years time.
All the best.
Chris

l28i
16-03-2009, 08:26
Nissan Bluebirds are a great example of a future classic, i hope i dont really need to explain why but i guess everyone who is posting here is a genuine petrol head and will know why.

goldenfleece
18-03-2009, 15:46
Ford Ka - An ugly mass produced shopping car -just like the Fiesta, except the Fiesta isn't ugly.

My MK I Fiestas are 'Shopping cars'??????:rant:

Smack Jack
18-03-2009, 16:04
I dont think anyone has mentioned the classic Mini yet. Its a bit of a classic now but their proneness to drop to bits and cult status they will be highly prized I think (if original).

hank
18-03-2009, 17:00
There won't be any future classics if the Gov introduces a scheme to scrap cars over 9 years old - see Times today Wednesday.
All cars worth less than eg 2300 will be traded in to be scrapped.
So the only old cars around will be cars worth more than the trade in amount eg Astons, E-types( no doubt driven by politicians and their friends at the banks)

droplink
21-03-2009, 07:57
If it does happen it will give you the oppertunity to you wont be forced into scrapping your old car, i certainly wont scrap mine ill run the fat f'ker over with it if he makes it that you HAVE to.

hank
23-03-2009, 09:58
Well, I don't know what will happen.
Every car over 9 years old will be valued at least 2300?
Very few older cars on the road?
The idea seems flawed to me.

Billy B
26-03-2009, 14:42
I have a Toyota Celica convertable which is very nice and have never seen another one in the UK but sure there are some around, IF I wanted a few jobs doing any suggestions,

Following needs doing to bring it back to its former glory

Crease in Drivers door - respray
Front seats need recovering
Needs recarpetting

Cheers

Billy B

spooferman
26-03-2009, 15:31
I have a Toyota Celica convertable which is very nice and have never seen another one in the UK but sure there are some around, IF I wanted a few jobs doing any suggestions,

Following needs doing to bring it back to its former glory

Crease in Drivers door - respray
Front seats need recovering
Needs recarpetting

Cheers

Billy B

try limestone garage 2313333 for the door resonable price for the job,

seats place on rutland road near the old standley tools place but can't recal the name

Billy B
26-03-2009, 18:17
Thanks spooferman will give them a ring

L00b
13-05-2009, 14:15
The MX5 as well surely must be a future classic. Mazda cant produce it forever - but it has been iconic. I reckon a good early MX5 or Eunos could one day be a good classic to have!
The earliest MK1's are 20 springs old this year, isn't that the cut-off period? or is it more :huh:
We're hoping to keep ours so long as petrol's available :D with good reasons to think it will become a classic, as it's a 1.8, unmodded, unmolested, near-factory-fresh limited edition and amongst the last 400 UK MK1s with pop-up headlights (1998 on a R plate).