G.M. Foods - Are they safe?

Are G.M. foods safe? can we eat them with confidence? the "experts" say yes but how do we know, what about the chemicals in them to kill the bugs in the crops, are they harmfull? I think they are!

Has there been enough research into the dangers? remember we are dealing with something entirely new and practically nothing is known about the long term effects.

Also, do they recognise the dangers of cross pollination during bad weather? I think trials ought to be stopped until they know more about the subject. :(:(:(

Originally posted by "halevan"

I think trials ought to be stopped until they know more about the subject. :(:(:(

But how would they find out more about the subject, without trials?

I don't know a lot about GM technology, but I believe that, potentially it could allow the world to produce enough food for everyone. Potentially, it could end fammine and the disease and poverty that go with it.

However, we live in the real world, so any benefits from GM technology will be enjoyed by rich Western companies. And millions of people in Africa will still be relying on Comic Relief, Live Aid etc to provide their meals.

:(

its alot like the mobile phone debate, people who know the least about it tend to be the ones who dont like it.

Originally posted by "halevan"

Are G.M. foods safe? can we eat them with confidence? the "experts" say yes but how do we know, what about the chemicals in them to kill the bugs in the crops, are they harmfull? I think they are!

GM foods are modified so that chemicals are not needed to kill bugs, therefore they're probably safer than normal crops.

Originally posted by "RPG"

its alot like the mobile phone debate, people who know the least about it tend to be the ones who dont like it.

I know quite a bit about mobile phones, and I've got serious concerns about them.

Originally posted by "RPG"

I know quite a bit about mobile phones, and I've got serious concerns about them.

i wholely accept, yes microwave emmissions are bad from phones, but look at countries like Finland who use and have had mobiles alot longer than us, and no adverse effects have been seen as of yet.

Masts on the other hand pose no danger from underneith

Surely the tests could be carried out under cover and in the laboratory without contaminating our normal crops. these G.M. crops are dangerous without proper safeguards.

It will take years of experimenting, for it to be done safely, but then as always they will go for the cheap option. It is a case of least expenditure for the maximum profit return.( whats new)??? :D:D:D

Are G.M. foods safe? can we eat them with confidence? the "experts" say yes but how do we know, what about the chemicals in them to kill the bugs in the crops, are they harmfull? I think they are! Has there been enough research into the dangers? remember we are dealing with something entirely new and practically nothing is known about the long term effects. Also, do they recognise the dangers of cross pollination during bad weather? I think trials ought to be stopped until they know more about the subject.

The introduction of genetically modified (GM) food and crops has been a disaster. The science of taking genes from one species and inserting them into another was supposed to be a giant leap forward, but instead they pose a serious threat to biodiversity and our own health. In addition, the real reason for their development has not been to end world hunger but to increase the stranglehold multinational biotech companies already have on food production.

We are told that GM crops will help feed the world's poor but according to the United Nations, we already produce more than enough food to satisfy everyone. And even though consumers have rejected GM foods outright, the biotech companies and the governments that support them are still trying to force their inventions on us, purely for commercial gain. But the long term effects of GM crops have not been properly researched and, by cross-pollinating with non-GM crops and wild plants, they replicate themselves and contaminate the environment with genetic pollution that is impossible to clean up.

The simple truth is, we don't need GM technology. Using sustainable and organic farming methods will allow us to repair the damage done by industrial farming, reducing the excessive use of fertiliser, herbicides and other man-made chemicals, and making GM crops redundant.

Six years from when the post was first made - I wonder what peoples thoughts are now on the GM debate?

I don't know a lot about GM technology, but I believe that, potentially it could allow the world to produce enough food for everyone. Potentially, it could end fammine and the disease and poverty that go with it.

:(

The problem of famine would not be solved by increased food production. If we increase yields without addressing spiralling populations (particularly in the poorest and most arid regions) we will only be buying a bit of time, and enabling over population to spiral even further out of control.

In the unlikely event that we manage to get human populations down to manageable levels in a controlled and organised way (as opposed to the disasterous mass wipe out which is inevitable if we don't) then there will be no need for ever more elaborate and risky ways of increasing yields.

Edited by donkey