Sheffield - Changed so much!

I was just looking at the Sheffield section of the Pulp website: http://www.pulponline.com/ and I realised how much Sheffield has changed in the last 10 years. I've only been here just over a year, but I don't recorgnise any of it! The Politechnic doesn't look anything like Hallam Uni!

Yes, I had a look at pics on that website. It brought back some nice memories.

Yes Sheffield has changed, and in my opinion mainly for the worst.

I noticed the picture of the Town Hall with the old Peace Gardens in the foreground - what a tranquil difference to the 'concretian' monstrosity of today's so-called Peace Garden.

Originally posted by Carlwarker

I noticed the picture of the Town Hall with the old Peace Gardens in the foreground - what a tranquil difference to the 'concretian' monstrosity of today's so-called Peace Garden.

I like the new peace gardens. They've cleaned em up. Made it look very stylish, modern, artistic and clean. It brings the city a nice green break in the centre. The stupid EGG BOX eyesore has been ripped down.

There aren't the problems with the alco's in the gardens anymore.

Well done Sheffield Ciy Council on that footing I say!

Originally posted by DaBouncer

I like the new peace gardens. They've cleaned em up. Made it look very stylish, modern, artistic and clean. It brings the city a nice green break in the centre. The stupid EGG BOX eyesore has been ripped down.

I agree,i think the new peace gardens are a missive improvement on the old ones,makes the whole area look much more open,and when the weathers nice they seem to get a lot more people in there than before.

Originally posted by Sidla

I was just looking at the Sheffield section of the Pulp website: http://www.pulponline.com/ and I realised how much Sheffield has changed in the last 10 years. I've only been here just over a year, but I don't recorgnise any of it! The Politechnic doesn't look anything like Hallam Uni!

Sheffield is a different place to what I remember!!!

I was living away from Sheffield all through the 90s, and I get still confused by some of the changes.

The simple ones (such as 17 bus going through Atterclife to Meadowhall and not to town I can live with) but one change that nearly kills me every time (literally) is Commercial Street. This was in the past a dual carriageway (I think), now it's a two-way single carriage road to make way for the Supertram. I occasionally forget this and step into the road without looking both ways...

And parts of the the city centre do seem scruffier than I remember

When I last came into Sheffield on the train I went to High Street to catch a 52 to Woodhouse. Took me ages before I realised where they had moved to!

And you should see how much it's changed 5 years on.

indeed was better in the "olden" days with 500 punks, hippies, metallers, winos, psychobillies, rockabillies, trendies, homeless, travellers etc etc

all sat round drinking day in day out....those were the days :D

*reminices*

yeah its changed beyond recognition for me too since i left in about 1993 :(

hm when i try that pulponline addy all i get is internet search pages :(

hm when i try that pulponline addy all i get is internet search pages :(

It's from 2003 so it might not work anymore. ;)