The City Museum redevelopment - £16m?!

I was half asleep this morning, but I'm sure that the newsreader said the council had approved a £16 million redevelopment of the City Museum? How in hell can they possibly spend that much on "redevelopment"?! Surely they could build 3-4 new museums for the same price? I feel sick when I hear about things like this - the council constantly seems happy to be ripped off :(

Well, I hope they spend the £16 million well.

I went to look around the city museum recently, and wasn't really impressed. It struck me that the museum is more of a store for things that nobody really wants any more.

The Millennium Galleries are much more interesting.

I agree, City Museum isn't all that great, but £16 million?! Are they going to have diamond encrusted toilet seats? Or maybe all the money is going to some hot-shot firm of "consultants"?

Do you think theyre still open to spending silly money on advice, I'll give 'em some.

Agreed, they spend millions on poncey advice. It better be bloody good for that much money.

Originally posted by "geoffbowen"

I agree, City Museum isn't all that great, but £16 million?! Are they going to have diamond encrusted toilet seats? Or maybe all the money is going to some hot-shot firm of "consultants"?

reminds me of a episode/strip of dilbert i saw :D

hopefully they'll make the City Museum nicer, and rename it "weston park" ;)

I found this while browsing the older threads (there's lots of good ones, hint ;)). Does anyone know when the museum re-opens? Surely for the amount of money they are spending, they would be able to hire a lot of builders/equipment and finish it within a few months, no?

Think there is something about Museums & Art Galleries being

"non- statutory "services unlike civic libraries.

This means that Museums can obtain substantial funding from

business and other bodies.

So we shall have a sort of quasi public-private partnership with

plenty of fund-raising dinners and wine 'n' darling you look divine events.

Howver it being Sheffield it will probably be a Night at the Dogs and a burger washed down with tepid lager.

Anyone know what's going to be in the new museum?

Hopefully the exhibits will be more exciting than the old typewriters and other bits of junk that were on display before it closed down.

Anyone know what's going to be in the new museum?

Hopefully the exhibits will be more exciting than the old typewriters and other bits of junk that were on display before it closed down.

We now know what is in the new museum. Not much really, there's a lot of open space and probably a quarter of the exhibits there used to be. There's the innovation of lots of TV screens with voices and sounds playing which are distracting if you're trying to study anything and then there's loads of young kids running around like it's a free creche.

I'm sure there used to be an art gallery around there somewhere.

There's the innovation of lots of TV screens with voices and sounds playing which are distracting if you're trying to study anything and then there's loads of young kids running around like it's a free creche.

Weston Park ?