LPG - What do you think about it?

LPG is a much cheaper and greener alternative to standard Unleaded. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be widely available in Sheffield. I mean, I have seen the odd PFS that has it but they seem to be few and far between. Does anyone use LPG? What is it like? Do cars perform any worse? How much does it cost to convert and where can you have this done? Just a few question I am curious about. Do they make new cars with LPG as standard instead of Diesel or Unldeaded.

There is little incentive for oil companies to give "pump space" to LPG. With Shell recently recording Europe's biggest corporate profit (source) I doubt they are too interested in the green benefits of using LPG.

You might find these articles interesting:

http://www.wps.com/LPG/LPG-book-final.html#INTRODUCTION

http://www.shellgas.co.uk/site/page/27/lang/en (Shell's own site!)

Cheers

I recently read that LPG could save between £300 to £500 per year. Now I think the problem is there is not enough car manufacturers making cars that have LPG as standard. I know Vauxhall are supposed to be the biggest with a total of 5 vehicle in their range. Lets say you want to have LPG alongside your petrol, after paying the installation cost you would only get your money back in savings after about 5 years. How many people keep a car over 5 years these days? I would probably imagine that once the usage increase then so would the tax.

I actually have a renault laguna that runs on both LPG and Petrol..

I have not noticed any difference in performance,just in my wallet.

Gas is around the 45p per litre price.

Law Brothers on leppings lane has a pump and also there are around 7 other places within a 6 mile radious of me.

I run my Range Rover on LPG, so have lower carbon emissions than other cars on the road and really can barely notice any difference in performance.

I bought the car already converted so can't comment on that, but have noticed that it's a lot cheaper to run, although because it's a 4.0L V8 engine it still burns a lot of the stuff.

My last car was a Discovery and I put around £30 a week in it to potter around in, that was just a 2.5L engine. This car goes through £20 a week on average for a 4.0L engine. So I've got more power and less cost.

The only drawback I have is that the tank holds just 60L, so I have to fill up more often. Ideally I'd like an extra tank which means losing boot space, but that's not a huge issue.

Anyone know anywhere that I can get one or get someone to fit one?

Finally, garages in general haven't a clue about the lpg system and how to fix them if it goes wrong. If anyone has any recommendations about garages who can, please post them here.

I recently read that LPG could save between £300 to £500 per year. Now I think the problem is there is not enough car manufacturers making cars that have LPG as standard. I know Vauxhall are supposed to be the biggest with a total of 5 vehicle in their range. Lets say you want to have LPG alongside your petrol, after paying the installation cost you would only get your money back in savings after about 5 years. How many people keep a car over 5 years these days? I would probably imagine that once the usage increase then so would the tax.

Good point. If everyone went for the option of LPG, I imagine its tax will probably reach the same as petrol or diesel.