Old Sheffield picture houses

:)Does anyone remember the old picture houses & where thy were? starting at Tinsley , the pavilion , globe Adelfie & Regal were all on the cliff ,then the Wicker, just under the bridge the old news theater , the cinema house , the gaumont cinema the star cinema ,I do remember quiet a few more, but Ill let someone else have a turn :huh:

There's quite a bit of info on this old thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-24665.html

I'm involved at the Abbeydale Picture House and for our recent English Heritage open weekend, we did a display of some of the 'lost cinemas' of Sheffield, with the message being let's keep ours.

I didn't grow up in Sheffield but it's lovely to get people through the doors of the Abbeydale who remember courting there, or meeting on the dance floor, or queueing round the block, going to the cafe, or sitting on the back row. We've just updated our website: http://www.abbeydalepicturehouse.co.uk and there is section on it where people can e-mail us their memories so we can add these to the website.

I have many fond memories of Saturday morning viewings in the ABC on Angel St, and the old Gaumont on the Wicker... Yes, I am old enough to remember that far back! *shudders*

The Classic and Odeon fitzalan square, The ceniplex at pondstreet:hihi: The Odeon barkerspool. Oooh The Locarno London Road.

Round our end there was the Rex at Intake, then one at Townend, where the video shop is now top of Gleadless Road, then a big one at Manor top where summerfield's is now. OMG they are coming to me now.

LOL...we found an old screening menu for the one on Barnsley road in our house, where united carpets is now near lane top, someone with personal memories of that place/ worked there, had that, lived down south somewhere. Gosh there's loads!