View Full Version : Has anyone had their make-up done at Debenhams?

beth29
06-05-2005, 18:22
Hi-ya!! Has anyone had their make-up done at Debenhams? and if so, what is it like. and I think its free isnt it. how do you get in touch with them? any info. please.

Hels
06-05-2005, 18:26
If you mean having your make-up done at one of the cosmetics counters then you just go to the appropriate counter and ask them. Had mine done by Clarins in the past and it was pretty good.

Also had it done on the clinique counter and that was ok too.

Sometimes used to go and have my make-up done before a Friday night out straight from work - saved bringing all my make-up into work!

But, also used most of the products and done my own make-up too (cheeky or what)!!!

Which Debenhams you talking about anyway - town or meadowhall? They're much the same really. Have fun:thumbsup:

beth29
06-05-2005, 18:39
meadowhall. dont you feel a prat sitting there and people walking past!

Hels
06-05-2005, 19:17
Nah! Just shut your eyes and you can't see them!

StarSparkle
06-05-2005, 19:26
Originally posted by beth29
meadowhall. dont you feel a prat sitting there and people walking past!

No, not at all! It's great, you're the centre of attention - and you're the one getting all the pampering :P

StarSparkle

PS If you're really not keen on being made up in public, Coles has a beauty room available (or certainly used to) that the make-up counter staff can book, but obviously you have to make an appointment in advance for that.

beth29
06-05-2005, 19:53
so you dont have to make a appointment or anything.??;)

kirky
06-05-2005, 19:56
Originally posted by beth29
Hi-ya!! Has anyone had their make-up done at Debenhams? and if so, what is it like. and I think its free isnt it. how do you get in touch with them? any info. please.

ask kristian.........he/she is the expert:thumbsup:

beth29
06-05-2005, 19:59
who's Kristian ?

kirky
06-05-2005, 20:01
one of the moerators on this site......he seems like a nice boy:)

evildrneil
06-05-2005, 20:58
[MOD NOTE] Can we keep this remotely on topic please. Kirky if you are so enamoured of Kristian then please make your passes by PM.

tara
07-05-2005, 11:56
Always wanted to try the make up demonstration in debenhams.
As i can never get the correct foundation for my skin tone.
when ive asked at clinique counters they always put a sample on your wrist but ive heard from an expert that this is wrong, as the skin on your wrist does not reflect your face colouring.

Any experts on here in the makeup business.?

I always find when i get home that the foundation they chose for me is not right, its either too chalky(light) or too yellowy beige.

my skin tone is warm and i have a fair complexion.

StarSparkle
07-05-2005, 14:46
Originally posted by tara
Always wanted to try the make up demonstration in debenhams.
As i can never get the correct foundation for my skin tone.
when ive asked at clinique counters they always put a sample on your wrist but ive heard from an expert that this is wrong, as the skin on your wrist does not reflect your face colouring.

Any experts on here in the makeup business.?

I always find when i get home that the foundation they chose for me is not right, its either too chalky(light) or too yellowy beige.

my skin tone is warm and i have a fair complexion.

I know exactly what you mean, Tara - it's an absolute nightmare to get the right foundation :(

It's not just matching the colour, but skin type (oily or dry), matt or dewy finish, cream or stick or liquid, etc. My skin tone is warm like yours, but very pale, almost white, and for years there just didn't seem to be a foundation pale enough!

There's a lot more choice now - though there does seem to be an unfortunate trend for companies to discontinue the shades at the extremes. Prescriptives have a good range. Also MAC, and Bobbi Brown might suit your colouring.

Good luck!

StarSparkle :thumbsup:

Caronp
10-05-2005, 19:32
I used to run the cosmetics department in Debs meadowhall, for many yrs, the girls there are all pretty good, its a flagship store and the team there are amongst the best in the region.
You are better off going to some of the smaller "houses" such as Elizabeth Arden,Guerlain or Givenchy they are quieter and can give you more time, but with great results,some of the larger counters are very good but can be too busy and with more pressure on them to reach certain targets.
Try Aveda or Origins for a more natural/organic product, especially if you are at all bothered about the environment or putting polutants onto your skin, I worked for Aveda for a couple of years, they are very good products that last.
Many of the companies have "beauty room" events which will give you the chance to have a facial at a fraction of the usual cost too, ask around, one of them will have an event on every week, (unless its Christmas.)
I miss the job the girls and the buzz of cosmetics, and all the different companies, but it became very political and my job was too detached from the products, so now I work with people and their properties, I can shop again in a cosmetics department to my hearts content .
Have any of you tried "Slap" on Eccy Rd?

Caron:)

beth29
11-05-2005, 11:35
on what road, sorry?

bunches2002
11-05-2005, 11:37
I've been to Slap
The two women that own it are really nice and they did some amazing natural makeup for my friend for her wedding.

Would highly recommend it although the products aren't cheap.

It's on Ecclesall Rd opposite the Pizza Hut and Tesco's

I've had a make over at Mac in Debenhams and they were also brilliant

SHsheff
11-05-2005, 12:44
This is interesting (to those of us interested in it, anyway!) (what's already been said in the thread, I mean) - I booked in for a makeup at Debenhams Meadowhall and after I'd booked it I wandered past the counter and the girl I'd booked with called and said she'd forgotten to mention but there was a 10 charge, offsetable (is that a word?) against any cosmetics I bought from her. I can't remember which brand it was, Clarins I think.

Does this fit with anyone else's experience?

It's a reasonable charge I suppose if you buy their cosmetics anyway or if you intend to - but a bit hefty if you were after a bit of free slap after you caught sight of yourself in the changing room mirror! :P

beth29
11-05-2005, 13:08
Slighly changing from Debehams, has anyone had their make-up done at Boots??

technophobe
11-05-2005, 13:14
Beth: I would go to Cole Brothers and ask for Cath on the chanel counter shes fab and very very friendly will try out different looks on you with different products and if they are not right will pass you onto another counter. Keep trying/wearing until you find the right one OR

contact MsBehavin (Virgin Vie consultant) she has all the fab products and if you dont like them you can send them straight back and get a refund. If you have a party youll get some freebies anyway. And of course Ill be on hand to give you some of my essential advice.

Dont keep buying products then find out you dont like them a makeover is the best way forward wear it, live with it and then buy it!.

:D

Longshanks
11-05-2005, 13:53
I braved the Clinique counter at Debenhams (town) a while ago cos I could never get the right foundation as I have very pale skin. The assistant found the right colour match (or so I thought) and applied it on my face. It looked ok so I bought that colour. It wasn't until I got home and looked in the mirror that I realised the colour was far too dark and looked ridiculous. So beware - the harsh lighting in these stores is very different from natural daylight. Unforunately I daren't risk another make-up demonstration and I'm still buying by trial and error ... and wasting money!

StarSparkle
11-05-2005, 14:13
Originally posted by Longshanks
I braved the Clinique counter at Debenhams (town) a while ago cos I could never get the right foundation as I have very pale skin. The assistant found the right colour match (or so I thought) and applied it on my face. It looked ok so I bought that colour. It wasn't until I got home and looked in the mirror that I realised the colour was far too dark and looked ridiculous. So beware - the harsh lighting in these stores is very different from natural daylight. Unforunately I daren't risk another make-up demonstration and I'm still buying by trial and error ... and wasting money!

I too have very, very pale - almost white - skin, and could never find a foundation that was really right for me. None of Clinique's colours are anywhere near light enough.

It's a really good point you make about always checking how you look in daylight before buying a foundation.

There is a lot more choice of foundation available than there used to be - it really is trial-and-error still, though. I've found Prescriptives and MAC to have an excellent colour range. In the past I've found a perfect foundation for me with both of them - but then they've each gone and discontinued that colour!! Grrr!

Personally, I've had much more success with finding suitable make-up colours generally with smaller, 'boutique' lines like Laura Mercier and Stila than I have with the major cosmetic lines. They seem to cater for the more 'average' coloured customer, and pretty much ignore the extremes, as presumably there's not the same level of profit in it for them.

Good luck with your search, Longshanks!

StarSparkle :)

Caronp
11-05-2005, 16:08
Some counters will charge a booking fee if you book a makeover, as they have to book the time out and so many people dont turn up.
You are best just going to the quiet counters and asking for a little advice that way you could end up with a free makeover.
Mac just deal in makeup so you can usually get good advice, they are totally colour focused.
Urban Decay is great too, not sure if Sheffield sells it any whare any more, we had it in Debs but the store pulled it out, big mistake.

Classic Rock
12-05-2005, 08:24
I've been told that testing makeup on the finger tips is better than on the wrist as your finger tip is closest to your facial complexion. Try it?

Has anyone had a personal shopper at Debenhams? I quite fancy having someone wander round and choose clothes for me!

tara
12-05-2005, 08:37
Thanks classic rock i'll try the finger tip test.

tara
13-05-2005, 22:29
Thought id let you know that i aproached the lady on the Elizabeth Arden counter in Debenhams at meadowall yesterday
and told her of my problem with foundation.
She then started to colour match one for my skintone.
I noticed she did the matching on my face and found the colour
porcelein beige to be a close match.

I used it this morning its quite a good match.
IT was expensive though.
It comes in a block with sponge. much better than bottled stuff.

Zebra
13-05-2005, 23:35
Originally posted by technophobe
Beth: I would go to Cole Brothers and ask for Cath on the chanel counter shes fab and very very friendly .

:D
I totally agree, Chanel is my make-up of choice, the Cole Bros ladies do me a make over once a year to show the new products etc and I normally top up with items from the one in M'hell. The ladies there are sensitive to what kind of look you want, what kind of make-up you want to use etc and won't try to force you to buy items you'll stick away and try to forget about.
Occasionally I'll use Boots no.7, which are still good quality but much cheaper in price and frequently very similar products.

laura_beth
14-05-2005, 20:25
its best just to ask questions in order to get a free make-over. I was looking at the make-up at the MAC counter in debs and i asked an assistant "what eye shadows look best wiv blue eyes?" and she had me sat down for half an hour doing my make-up! it paid off for them too coz i ended up buying 2 eye shadows and an eyeliner! xx

StarSparkle
14-05-2005, 21:48
Originally posted by laura_beth
its best just to ask questions in order to get a free make-over. I was looking at the make-up at the MAC counter in debs and i asked an assistant "what eye shadows look best wiv blue eyes?" and she had me sat down for half an hour doing my make-up! it paid off for them too coz i ended up buying 2 eye shadows and an eyeliner! xx

Can I be really cheeky and ask what colours she recommended?

I've got blue eyes too, so I'd be interested to know. I've got loads of eye shadows, but I'm not completely happy with any of them! :(

Cheers,

StarSparkle :)