Sign in to follow this  

Classic Film...your definition?

"What is the definition of a Classic Film? Well, it depends. Some would say that a "classic film" is any movie made during the days that the Hollywood studio system was in place. In those pre-1970's days, most actors and actresses were under exclusive contracts to a single studio. If they worked for another studio at all, it was usually because of a trade, or some other arrangement, between the studio bosses. Others would say that any film which receives wide acclaim from film critics, or with (e.g. Academy) award recognition, would earn the standard and should be dubbed a classic film. Unfortunately, both of these methods are suspect due to personal prejudices, errors of omission, and even corruption."

quoted from Classic film guide.com

What is YOUR definition of a classic film for you?

A classic film is something that I can watch over and over again and still feel the same wealth of emotions that I experienced on first viewing. It doesn't have to be an old film (indeed I rank a lot of cult films of the past couple of decades as classics), nor does it have to be a successful film (indeed, one such film, It's A Wonderful Life, was a bit of a flop on release). A classic is a film that I will wholeheartedly recommend all to see.

A classic film is something that I can watch over and over again and still feel the same wealth of emotions that I experienced on first viewing. It doesn't have to be an old film (indeed I rank a lot of cult films of the past couple of decades as classics), nor does it have to be a successful film (indeed, one such film, It's A Wonderful Life, was a bit of a flop on release). A classic is a film that I will wholeheartedly recommend all to see.

I agree with you on that. Although perhaps I would also bring in the term 'modern classic' for use with relatively recent films, just to indicate a different production period in general......