How to make a proper curry? (saag and madras)

Hello

I'm after a proper, authentic recipe to try to make my favourite dish, which is a saag and my partner's favourite dish, which is a madras. I want to make them as authentically as possible - I know they will probably never taste like they do when I get them from Rasheeds! But I want to have a good go. I love cooking and if I could get somewhat close I'd be over the moon.

So has anyone got any recipes for the saag and madras to get me started? Also if you can tell me where you get your herbs and spices from aswell that will be greatly appreciated as I'll have to get them too!

Hi,

I've used recipes from this website a couple of times and think that they are pretty good; http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/rsc/index.htm

I'm guessing what you want is a restaurant-type dish? There are a few restaurants on ebay that sell their spice mixes ready made up with a recipe. I've used one (I think the shop name was the Curry Club) but I think I went overboard with the chilli bit.

I'm sure someone who knows far more than me about cooking curries will come along soon, but of all the recipes I've followed, the ones that seem most "restaurant style" are the ones where you make a basic curry sauce first, usually puree-ing onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and then use that as a base to which you add other spices etc depending on the type of dish you are making. I believe thats how most standard high street restaurants do it too?

For spices, apart from the ebay stuff I mentioned, I've always bought mine locally at any of the Asian supermarkets along Abbeydale Road, but you're S5 so that might not be so useful for you...I think any area with a sizeable Asian population will have a few good supermarkets that will be so much cheaper than buying from Tescos or wherever

Good luck with it!

Hi,

I've used recipes from this website a couple of times and think that they are pretty good; http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/rsc/index.htm

I'm guessing what you want is a restaurant-type dish? There are a few restaurants on ebay that sell their spice mixes ready made up with a recipe. I've used one (I think the shop name was the Curry Club) but I think I went overboard with the chilli bit.

I'm sure someone who knows far more than me about cooking curries will come along soon, but of all the recipes I've followed, the ones that seem most "restaurant style" are the ones where you make a basic curry sauce first, usually puree-ing onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and then use that as a base to which you add other spices etc depending on the type of dish you are making. I believe thats how most standard high street restaurants do it too?

For spices, apart from the ebay stuff I mentioned, I've always bought mine locally at any of the Asian supermarkets along Abbeydale Road, but you're S5 so that might not be so useful for you...I think any area with a sizeable Asian population will have a few good supermarkets that will be so much cheaper than buying from Tescos or wherever

Good luck with it!

Ok, tar for that,its a great help.:thumbsup:

Try googling curry frenzy. There are loads of recipes on there.

With a bit of practice they are as good as restaurant currys