How to make the perfect mashed potato?

I usually add milk and butter, any other suggestions? what about herbs etc?

Theres an art to good mashed potato, you don't need herbs but what you do need is butter, milk and lots of black pepper.

Make sure the butters at room temperature, make sure the milk is warm to hot and make sure the peppers freshly ground and theres lots of it.

Firstly drain the potatoes, then return them to the pan and return the pan to a very very low heat, you are trying to remove the water from the spuds and pan. Water will dilute the flavour of the potatoes and the butter. Once everything is dry add lots of pepper and the butter then mash or fork or use the food mixer however you do it, then once everything is broken up a bit add the milk and mash well until they are at the required consistancy. Test for seasoning and add more if you need it, don't forget to turn the heat off!

you cant beat a potato ricer they are exultant just put them through the ricer had milk and butter whisk with balloon whisk a good potato needs no extras :thumbsup:

you cant beat a potato ricer they are exultant just put them through the ricer had milk and butter whisk with balloon whisk a good potato needs no extras :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I use a ricer too. The other thing I've started doing is boiling the potatoes with their skin on. That way you get a more "potato" flavour (though you obviously remove the skin before ricing) and also it helps to prevent water penetrating the spud. The other way I sometimes use to make mash is to actually roast the potato, again, the water in the spud completely evaporates so it holds the butter better.

Oh, and never ever, ever, use purple potatoes. Well, just once, for a laugh.

i have been thinking about gettingone of these as the OH makes very lumpy mash!!

well i peel and quarter the potatoes, boil them then drain. I leave them in the collander for a while to let them dry out a bit. I then add milk , cream(just a bit:hihi::hihi:) and butter. I mash them until i can feel very few lumps then i give them a good whisk :D the whisking adds air i have been told, not sure what it actually does but they always turn out better when i whisk them :D :D

Edited by decorite

I usually add milk and butter, any other suggestions? what about herbs etc?

Oh myyyy

We love it with cheese in, or mustard ........ orrrr, even both :thumbsup: Cream cheese works well if you don't have any ordinary cheese, and helps use up an opened tub :D

Try mashing in other vegetables if you fancy something a bit different. Sweet potato and celeriac work well.

My ex's grandparents used to whisk it using an electric whisk!

It made the mash like wallpaper paste.....used to gag at it every time I "ate" it!