View Full Version : Who drills holes for extractor fans?

FORE
30-08-2008, 20:00
About 12-14 months ago a guy called Chris drilled a hole in an outside wall for me to accommodate an extractor fan.

Unfortunately I've lost his number so I need him or someone else again.

Seem to remember it was his missus who read my plea last year & suggested him.

Anyone know what sized holes are required for a cooker hood with extractor?
I'm thinking of just putting in an extractor this year and hopefully fitting a hood (with same hole) next year when we re-vamp the kitchen.

Cheers!

vidster
31-08-2008, 01:15
Most extractor holes are stitch drilled from what i have seen over the last couple of years. Just measure the diameter of the extractor pipe. Stitch drill trough the wall using a 10mm coaxial drill bit and chip out the hole with a hammer and bolster.

If you want one perfect circle drilling it will probably cost you a fortune.

FORE
31-08-2008, 07:28
Thanks Vidster, but the last one cost me 20. I think he had a diamond tipped drill.

I'm hoping for a good one as i have a coating (tyrolean?) on the outside.

jl-heating
31-08-2008, 08:48
most trade people have a core drill in there kit, plumbers and electricians and the price of the kit has dropped considerably so usually quite competitive.
i would think 50/60 would be a more realistic price for a hole to be drilled if its a second floor room you need it drilling into there are ladders needed etc.
if you did stitch drill it the cowl to the extractor would cover it anyway but a core would be a better option.
the last new house i worked on the electrician charged 100 a hole which i thought was a little excessive so there is a difference in cost depending who you ask.
depending on the bricks in can be easy or very hard.

i drilled a hole for a forum member last year and it took 2 hours and no i am not exaggerating.it was 4 bricks thick and no cavity. :(

A.C.Builders
31-08-2008, 13:07
most trade people have a core drill in there kit, plumbers and electricians and the price of the kit has dropped considerably so usually quite competitive.
i would think 50/60 would be a more realistic price for a hole to be drilled if its a second floor room you need it drilling into there are ladders needed etc.
if you did stitch drill it the cowl to the extractor would cover it anyway but a core would be a better option.
the last new house i worked on the electrician charged 100 a hole which i thought was a little excessive so there is a difference in cost depending who you ask.
depending on the bricks in can be easy or very hard.

i drilled a hole for a forum member last year and it took 2 hours and no i am not exaggerating.it was 4 bricks thick and no cavity. :(

100 a hole isnt too bad for a qualified sparky to charge.
A core drill suitable for the job is 50+
What people dont factor in is tool wear. Core drills will only do a finite amount of holes before needing replacement.

FORE
31-08-2008, 14:36
This is ground floor, 2 bricks thick, with no (or an apology of) a cavity.

I take your point that drills only last so long, but unless I find a willing contact I may buy one myself.

Any of you know what size is required for a cooker hood?

ricgem2002
31-08-2008, 15:47
hole for extractors usually 4 in (100 mill)

jl-heating
31-08-2008, 15:50
100 mm core is 55 pound from screw fix.
drill is maybe 200 i have a makita,
adapter to fit to the drill is 14 pound.
pilot drill is maybe 4.99 ish.

you can hire them from champion hire maybe 30 pound a day plus 150 deposit.
check the extractor size before you buy a core as some are 5 and 6 inch depends on size of room and type of extractor used.

dan2802
31-08-2008, 16:34
Post up what area you are in, your more lightly to find someone local to you rather than get someone to drive across town for such a small job.
I can stich drill it for you reasonably.

cbr900
01-09-2008, 07:20
I can do you this , it will be 60 and I can do it this week as I have a delayed kitchen that isn't coming untill Wednesday.