Old films help?

does anyone have a favourite 'old' film? i'm not sure exactly what era, i've just realised i havent actually seen 'gone with the wind' despite meaning to for years! i'm a bit worried that at 4 hours long it would be a pointless exercise as i wouldnt get to watch it in one sitting, is it the type of film you can come back to or not?

I have seen other older ones as my mum loves them, they remind me of my 'poorly' days off school when we'd curl up on the sofa next to the sick bucket :hihi:. She was a south pacific fan. I can't remember the titles of the others i've seen though!

Any others recommended?

It's A Wonderful Life

A Night To Remember

Some Like It Hot

Casablanca

That's a few old greats that I adore and rewatch many times.

I do like Hitchcock films so check out that thread for recommendations.

I quite like Gentlemen prefer blondes, Some like it hot, Roman Holiday and Calamity Jane.

i've seen loads of hitchcock ones as my dad is a huge fan! I remember having nightmares for weeks after watching 'psycho' :hihi:

I'm pretty certain I've seen 'its a wonderful life' as well, thats the one thats on at christmas isnt it?

I'm pretty certain I've seen 'its a wonderful life' as well, thats the one thats on at christmas isnt it?

Yup...and it is the best Christmas movie ever :)

Yup...and it is the best Christmas movie ever :)

i thought it was :love:

Brief Encounter - From 1945. Directed by David Lean and written by Noel Coward based on his play, Still Life. It's the story of a married woman's brief affair with a married doctor she meets at a railway station. It's beautifully filmed and by turns sad and uplifting. You must see it.

Also, I'd recommend the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films. Not for the serious Conan Doyle scholar (most are set in the 40s and some have Sherlock battle the Nazis, plus of course Nigel Bruce is a travesty of a Watson), but they're massively entertaining and Rathbone is a superb Holmes.

THE GREEN MAN (1956), Alistair Sim and George Cole, Terry thomas, superb and hilarious comedy thriller

THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1962) Joyce Grenfell and Robert Morley, tongue in cheek spoof horror comedy..

THE SANDWICH MAN (1966), Terry Thomas, Michael Bentine, Norman Wisdom, etc al, a classic comedy of swinging sixties london.....

MORGAN: A Suitable case for treatment...Another classic 60's british comedy movie and very bizarre....

OOOH I could go on.....I love movies....

Closely Observed Trains

Tokyo Story

If...

The Maltese Falcon

The Battle of Algiers

Spirit of the Beehive

Come and See

Touch of Evil

Gilda, The Killers, Double Indemnity, Citizen Kane... I'm sure there are many more.

You should check out some old foreign language films too, google Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini and Francois Truffaut for some ideas!