View Full Version : Embassy World Snooker Champion - Shaun Murphy!

1Man&hisBMW
02-05-2005, 21:04
Shaun Murphy Rules! What a guy! Well Done!!!!

npatchett
02-05-2005, 21:15
What a brilliant final, both players did supremly well but Murphy was on another level. A succesor to Ronnie O'Sullivan is born I think. :thumbsup: :clap:

Lestat
02-05-2005, 21:21
What did they mean by - the end of an era??? is this the end of the road for snooker in Sheffield?:confused:

I thought it had been saved - at least till next year.

p.s. - Well done Shauny!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

npatchett
02-05-2005, 21:24
The snooker is staying in Sheffield for the next 5 years. However, Embassy cannot sponsor it anymore due to tobacco advertising laws so there will be a new sponsor next year. One of the bookies or a bank are the likely candidates to take it over.

spyro2000
02-05-2005, 21:54
Congrats to young 22 year old Rotherham lad Shaun Murphy for beating Matt Stevens in the World Embassy Snooker Championships.

A well deserved win, the lad played his heart out. you wouldnt have thought he was a newbie by the way he played.

Shiesh
02-05-2005, 21:55
well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

Many Congratulations!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dya think he will ever read this though.....:confused:

nslack
02-05-2005, 22:35
No, but here's hoping that the forum is as popular as we would like it to be.

Well done to the lad, kept flipping back and forth and then got hooked on the last few frames, brilliant game of snooker :clap:

ZEDEX48K
02-05-2005, 23:16
I was there!!!! and i shook Shauns hand!!, tense final but brilliant and saw all the old world champs as well!! GREAT NIGHT!! even tough it was bloody hot in there!

vidster
02-05-2005, 23:31
Originally posted by npatchett
What a brilliant final, both players did supremly well but Murphy was on another level. A succesor to Ronnie O'Sullivan is born I think. :thumbsup: :clap:

I wouldn't go as far as that but Shaun did extremely well. I take my hat off to the lad.......Well done Shaun! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1Man&hisBMW
03-05-2005, 06:48
He did well the lad :) He is every bit good as Ronnie, if not more consistent. To come in to the Crucible for the first time, and take home 1st prize is something big in the snooker world.

Imagine winning the final and getting a 147 - a grand...no a GRAND payout of 411,000 - he could buy most of Rotherham with that :) Mind you, he could buy most of it with the 250k he is taking home! ;) j/k

Dj_Shadowman
03-05-2005, 07:27
For his first time there he showed nerves of steel - and it was a nice touch when they said that as a kid he has chased Steve Davies down the road for his autograph, then Davies piped up and said he was going to go and ask for his autograph.

tosh13
03-05-2005, 08:43
Great World Championships that is why Sheffield deserves to keep it because there is no where else in the country that could provide such an atmosphere.Murphy has been fantastic all the way through & deserves to be World Champion not like that whinging southerner O'Sullivan such a great talent like the Gazza's ,Best etc & what do they do waste it.Well we have a Yorkshire Champ first time since Joe Johnson,Well Done Shaun Murphy.

venger
03-05-2005, 11:12
I was just pleased that he beat Ebdon.

I like Mathew Stevens, so unlucky for him IMO.

Either player could have won really.

Very well done Murphy.

The first player since 1979 to win the tournament from qualifying.

He was fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wadders
03-05-2005, 11:24
Still think he looks like Archie from Balamory.

Lickszz
03-05-2005, 11:32
He played a blinder all tournament and deserved to win it.

What happens next year? As he is not in the top 16 will he have to go through the qualifiers again or does the winner get a automatic entry?

leddi
03-05-2005, 17:04
Huge well done to Shaun!! Another Terry Griffiths (all be it faster!!). He's a very focussed and commited young lad. Commiserations to Mathew Stevens.. such a good player.. just not his year.. again! And yes i do believe he will have to qualify again.. but it might just be one round.. think the provisional rankings are already out.. although there are two sets of rankings and Im not sure whether the Embassy ones will apply?! anybody know?

In defence of Ronnie O'Sullivan 'wasting' his talent.. thats not entirely true! He has won the championship twice, has a record of two 147 breaks at the crucible (the second of which i saw).. the first one being a record 5mins 20 secs!! he's also the youngest winner of the Uk championship, a record which is still held.. Ok it took him a little longer to win the championship than most pundits thought but that shouldn't take away the fact he is an incredible natural snooker player. As I'm sure is the case for Gazza and Best , when god gives you a talent that makes you popular, rich, famous and a celebrity.. tied in with the fact that you have an unstable private life and mental state, you are going to go of the rails! (just IMO of course)

floyd77
04-05-2005, 13:32
Yes - Well done to him

Although it was not his first time to the crucible - been twice before and lost both first round matches.

venger
04-05-2005, 17:54
Originally posted by Lickszz
He played a blinder all tournament and deserved to win it.

What happens next year? As he is not in the top 16 will he have to go through the qualifiers again or does the winner get a automatic entry?

He might be a top 16 ranking player by the next championship ?

Rizvan
04-05-2005, 19:04
Wooooohoooooo go on son!

Riz :)

Lickszz
05-05-2005, 08:09
Originally posted by venger
He might be a top 16 ranking player by the next championship ?

I've just been reading about it.

He will only be ranked in the twenties somewhere, but because he is world champion he is automatically seeded 2 in all competitions next season.

adlinds
05-05-2005, 13:09
An old lady in a cafe asked me for my autograph the other day, I was quite shocked and said "why? who do you think I am?" to which she replied "that nice young snooker champion". I found this quite funny until I saw a picture of him and I am now on a strict diet.

leddi
05-05-2005, 18:25
LOL hillarious Adlinds!!!... the last time he was at the crucible he was a lot thinner.. perhaps she had that occasion in mind!