Sign in to follow this  

Computer Question

Please can somebody help, when I switch my computer on

It boots up ok. Then just before it gets to desktop it restarts

for some reason. Can somebody tell me how to stop this problem?

Thanks ja…………

yeah it looks like the worm to me too. the problem u have now is getting your p.c to stay on long enough for you to be able to apply the patch.

first thing i would do is turn on the microsoft built in firewall.....

that slows it down. hopefully long enough for you to get the update. you can switch it on by clicking on

'my network places' then right click on your internet dialer select properties then advanced then click the box saying protect my internet connection by using the firewall. restart your p.c then reconnect to the internet then try downloading the update. if your computer restarts im sure the download will carry on where it left off. if you get stuck pm me

hope all this helps

ta joy

If you haven't got windows XP then you won't have a built in firewall. If you can post here (and read this reply!) you probably have access to another computer - use an internet cafe if necessary. Download the stinger program (free mini-virus tool) onto a floppy from this link:

http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

Then start your computer in safe mode - hold down F8 during startup - before the windows screen appears - choose safe mode from the menu.

Once the computer has started - say yes to use safe mode if a question appears.

If you are running windows XP then disable system restore - see http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm

Then go to the floppy and run the stinger.exe

That should tidy up blaster and repair most of the damage.

Don't forget to go to windows update and do all the critical/security updates to prevent re-infection.

Good luck

XP Service Pack 2, out shortly, will make XP have firewall turned on by default.

surely the MS Blaster only affects you when you're online. As it directly addresses the remote procedures of the machine to reboot, its unlikely to affect on simply booting up.

to give yourself a chance try

<Start>

<run>

services.msc <ok>

scroll down list to first Remote procedures call and <right click>

select properties

select the option at the top on recovery

change each of the three options to take no action

apply, ok

end programme

connect to internet and d/l the patch from http://www.microsoft.co.uk

but I'm not convinced is MS blaster.

It could also be a fault with your memory. Commmonly happens. I would suggest checking the memory in another machine.

Skatie

From my understanding the blaster virus will download itself when your online, then it's on your system, then will re boot your Pc when it likes.

As for the memory issue - maybe, but very much doubt it. If you have installed any software B4 it started re booting itself try to get to safe mode and remove the software.