View Full Version : Things to do with a 11 year old boy help

bones123
12-08-2008, 07:36
hi i have an 11 year old boy and did things to do with him its hard because im a childminder and im looking after a 20 month old boy so big age gap we do lots with the minded child but need somthing for my son aswell as its not fair on him doing all toddler things so if anyone can help that will be great thanks wendy:gag::help:

hennypenny
12-08-2008, 20:23
Hi Wendy

I have always found the best entertainment for an 11 year old is another 11 year old :) Does he have any friends you could ask around to play, or take with you when you go out? Maybe the friend's mum will take him off your hands in return too :)

Toddlers and older children both enjoy walks and picnics, if the weather is nice, pack up a lunch and go to a park or into the countryside.
Go pond dipping, the toddler can watch while your son finds marine animals, print some identification sheets off the internet and let him see what he can find.

In the house, maybe he could help you bake, with him weighing out the ingredients, and the toddler being allowed to help stir. Mine always like to make scotch pancakes which are quick and easy.

He might enjoy making playdough, there is a recipe here http://magicandmayhem.homeschooljournal.net/2008/08/02/easy-cooked-playdough-with-fun-variations/
The toddler will enjoy playing with the dough too.
Mine used to like to add cocoa powder to the recipe and make fake chocolates to fool their dad with, or he could make models and bake them slowly to dry out the dough, then paint them.

If he is more adventurous he might like using the playdough to make a bicarbonate of soda volcano. http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/buildavolcano.htm

I hope this gives you some ideas.

x-GiGgLeS-x
13-08-2008, 06:08
You could maybe take them swimming. Your son would enjoy it and im sure the toddler would too. My son is 7 month old and Im forever taking him swimming and he loves it.

Someone also told me you can take young children (babies) to the cinema. Ive never tried it myself but if this is the case why not take them both there?

You could also make things together in the house

Maybe have a little BBQ or go for a nice walk. Even go on a bike ride if you have 1 of them toddler seat things.

bones123
13-08-2008, 06:11
thanks well 2 day there is somthing going off at hillsbrough sport area so goin there if rain holds off that 11-4 i could do with a bike with a seat on for toddler great idea and the play do is good aswell many thanks

tifftifco2
13-08-2008, 18:20
Hi Wendy

I have always found the best entertainment for an 11 year old is another 11 year old :) Does he have any friends you could ask around to play, or take with you when you go out? Maybe the friend's mum will take him off your hands in return too :)

Toddlers and older children both enjoy walks and picnics, if the weather is nice, pack up a lunch and go to a park or into the countryside.
Go pond dipping, the toddler can watch while your son finds marine animals, print some identification sheets off the internet and let him see what he can find.

In the house, maybe he could help you bake, with him weighing out the ingredients, and the toddler being allowed to help stir. Mine always like to make scotch pancakes which are quick and easy.

He might enjoy making playdough, there is a recipe here http://magicandmayhem.homeschooljournal.net/2008/08/02/easy-cooked-playdough-with-fun-variations/
The toddler will enjoy playing with the dough too.
Mine used to like to add cocoa powder to the recipe and make fake chocolates to fool their dad with, or he could make models and bake them slowly to dry out the dough, then paint them.

If he is more adventurous he might like using the playdough to make a bicarbonate of soda volcano. http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/buildavolcano.htm

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Do you mind me asking how old your children are? are they around the 11 mark or younger:)?

bones123
13-08-2008, 18:23
my son is 11,he will b 12 in oct ima childminder and the little boy i look after is nearly 2

tifftifco2
13-08-2008, 18:40
my son is 11,he will b 12 in oct ima childminder and the little boy i look after is nearly 2

hi sorry i meant hennypenny:)

hennypenny
13-08-2008, 20:41
Do you mind me asking how old your children are? are they around the 11 mark or younger:)?

My own children are 22 and 12, but my husband and I childminded for 9 years so I have experience of looking after up to 12 children at a time of varied ages :)

Ghostrider
14-08-2008, 01:49
hi i have an 11 year old boy and did things to do with him its hard because im a childminder and im looking after a 20 month old boy so big age gap we do lots with the minded child but need somthing for my son aswell as its not fair on him doing all toddler things so if anyone can help that will be great thanks wendy:gag::help:Sorry to say, but you should have thought of this before you took the responsibility for the child (you should have known what you were getting into & what would be involved)

bones123
14-08-2008, 05:52
well that no help and not nice it doesnt bother my 11 year old son as he will do wot ever we do but i thought it would be nice to do something with them both and not have have to take turns and i took the responsibility so that parents can go back to work and so i can work and be home when my son comes home from school ect ect is that so bad

nikita
14-08-2008, 06:06
Sorry to say, but you should have thought of this before you took the responsibility for the child (you should have known what you were getting into & what would be involved)

Childminding is a job like any other job, and it gives mothers like bones a chance to be there for there own children as well as other peoples.
I have been a childminder for many years and it is very rewarding,at least she is not content to sit them in front of the tv for hours on end.
She was just asking for ideas thats all.

bones123
14-08-2008, 06:12
thank you nikita at least someone knowns i do this because i love kids and like to do alsorts with them i took them 2 hillsbrough park yestarday sommit was going off that was a good day as both my son and my minded child had a good time again thank you nikita

nikita
14-08-2008, 06:17
You sound like a very caring childminder and i notice like me you are sneaking some early morning my time on the computer while you have a chance.

bones123
14-08-2008, 08:35
well yes my child comes at 7-5 hes having a nap at the min,i just hope it dont start rainning again so we can go out when he wakes how many children do u take care off ?

nikita
14-08-2008, 08:48
I have one year old twins a two year old and older ones that come after school so i have got my hands full.

Ghostrider
14-08-2008, 13:27
Sorry about my last post, I had just had an arguement on this very subject when I spotted this thread.

Shouldnt have took it out on you and I do apologise..

bones123
14-08-2008, 13:30
kk apologise accepted

duckweed
15-08-2008, 22:17
How about teaching him to cook? Have you a computer? My son likes making cartoons on the computer. Or making tunnels for the little one to crawl through made out of chairs sheets tables etc. Camping out in the garden. Doing some gardening. Take a cereal box and some old magazines and cut out furniture etc back with card so they stand up and he can design his dream room. Or he could make a picture book for the little one.

rainbow sky
20-08-2008, 21:32
hi i have an 11 year old boy and did things to do with him its hard because im a childminder and im looking after a 20 month old boy so big age gap we do lots with the minded child but need somthing for my son aswell as its not fair on him doing all toddler things so if anyone can help that will be great thanks wendy:gag::help:

I am in a similar situation, I have an 11yr old boy and a 4yr old girl and it is hard finding things that suit them both.
Where abouts are you in Sheffield?

teeny
20-08-2008, 21:46
I have an 11 year old and a 1 year old just partime, we do lots of lovely things like going to the park , where the 11 year old can meet and play with friends hile the one year old and i play on the swings or other things. The 11 year old loves the 1 year old and is very happy to have her company, however i only do this 2 days aweek not 5 days.
In our local park there is a sports van each week, there are lots of sports activities you can do with both ages.

bones123
21-08-2008, 05:42
hi im in southey green sheffirld 5