How much food do you throw away?

I have a really bad habit of throwing away quite a bit of stuff. I don't really shop very wisely and will buy a bag of peppers which contains about 5 and only use one or two of them. The day before i go shopping I clear our the fridge and always manage to throw away a full carrier bag or more of uneaten food :o

I did start writing a meal plan and shopping list so I didn't over spend when I went shopping which stopped me spending as much but didn't stop me throwing so much away!

So how much do you throw away or how do you manage to buy sensibly so you don't have to throw away?

I shop in little shops like the lovely Beanies in crookesmoor or other small fruit and veg shops and little asian supermarkets where you can buy 1 potato, 1 carrot, 3 mushrooms etc!

also, eat with a friend and take it in turns to cook each day - it's easier to cook nice things for 2 than for one person...

I concur with chazwyn - i know you get a funny look but its possible to buy one carrot from a supermarket!

I also use up the glut and make up bulk amounts to freeze - tomatoes work well as do fruit purees

I buy loose veg and not bagged thse days. Also as Melvyn said if i know I am going to have left over produce which i will not use i make it up into something and freeze it - soups are a simple way of using up excess veggies.

Also left over mashed potatoes - make into potato croquets and freeze or eat next day. Left over cooked new potatoes are lovely fried with a dash of hendersons relish as a snack or breakfast accompaniment at the weekend.

Meal planning or at least meal planning can help but dont forget to consider quantities of ingredients you will need / dont need.

Do 3 small shops a week instead of one big one. We hardly waste anything and any food heading towards its use by date I freeze