The chicken, poultry and gamebird megathread

Everything about our feathered friends

I need some nice winter warming chicken recipes! I love casseroles but getting a bit fed up of coq au vin and chasseur.

Spicy chicken and bacon

Ingrediants

6 Chicken Thighs

6 Rashers of Bacon.

Juice of 1 lime.

5 Garlic Cloves.

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp Paprika.

1/2 Tsp Oregano.

1 Tsp Cumin.

1 Tbsp Chilli Powder.

Instructions.

Preheat oven to 190'c / gas 5

Mix the oil, juice, garlic, paprika, chilli, oregano and cumin in a bowl.

Wrap a rasher of bacon around each chicken thigh.

Place chicken thighs into a roasting dish and pour the mixture over the chicken.

Cook in the center of the oven for between 40 minutes and an hour depending on the size of the thighs.

Goes great with many things, rice, chips etc.

What about chestnut chicken stew?

It is just chestnuts, and chicken... :hihi:

Or chicken wings!

- Barbeque flavour.

- honey + soy sauce

- mustard + sour cream

I've roasted a chicken tonight and I checked it was cooked by spearing it in a few places and all seemed fine. We have had the breast meat, but I've come to cut off the legs and stuff to put it away for pack up and as I punctured the top of the leg, blood has come out of it. I've not known this before, does this mean it wasn't cooked after all?

Chicken breast wrapped in bacon, covered with mushroom soup, in the oven, and cover with cheese mmmmmmmmmmmmm

is anyone aware of a healthy or low fat chicken and mushroom pie / bake recipe ? i quite fancy rustling up something nice and chicken-y but all the recipes ive found seem to be quite calorific!!

Plucking pheasants -

Had to type that one carefully.

A stall at Castle Market were selling braces of pheasants for a fiver. Seems a great bargain and I'm a big fan of game.

How would you go about plucking one? What about storage, can you hang them for a while or would you store just as you would say, a chicken?

is anyone aware of a healthy or low fat chicken and mushroom pie / bake recipe ? i quite fancy rustling up something nice and chicken-y but all the recipes ive found seem to be quite calorific!!

It's not easy to make a low fat pie, the best you can hope for is a less calorific one.

You could do a pie top crust, rather than encase the filling in pastry. That's a 100 cals gone.

When you're making your roux, I suppose you could use margarine. Cook your mushrooms off in olive oil.

If you serve with green veg as opposed to potatoes, I can't see why this would be such a heavy calorific meal, to be honest.

Pheasants have really thin skin thats easy to tear so they need scalding first by taking the tail feathers out then holding it under the water for about a minute.

Hold it by the feet.

Take it out and drain it then do it again and do that three or four times altogether.

Pluck the bugger while its still warm and be gentle- wings and back first then breast last.

That made my gob water, I havent had pheasant for years.

Pheasants have really thin skin thats easy to tear so they need scalding first by taking the tail feathers out then holding it under the water for about a minute.

Hold it by the feet.

Take it out and drain it then do it again and do that three or four times altogether.

Pluck the bugger while its still warm and be gentle- wings and back first then breast last.

That made my gob water, I havent had pheasant for years.

Cheers Jabbers, obviously you're ducking the bird in near boiling/ very hot water?

Cheers Jabbers, obviously you're ducking the bird in near boiling/ very hot water?

Not boiling but... you know... steaming... just about a minute from coming to the boil.... as soon as you see the steam switch the heat off and get dunkin`! :D