Restaurants you recommend

For those of us who love food and want to eat at places that will make us happy, rather than just satisfied, were would you recommend? I'm not talking about the obvious ones like Nonnas and Marco @ Milano as there have been so many threads about them, we all know they're great.

I'm thinking of the places that might be more local, or don't get the recognition they should do.

For me, the restaurant that i've discovered lately and love is Zeugma on London Road. It's Turkish food cooked over a traditional charcoal grill and the food is fantastic. I've only been in the little one so far, not to Zeugma Iki. It's tiny and everyone is crammed in, and the first time we went we had to keep our cutlery after finishing our starter which i found hilarious, but the food was worth it and it's a good atmosphere in there too.

Wasabi sabi (did I get that right??) is my favourite at the moment - its also on London road. Ridiculously cheap and fantastic choice - definitely something for everyone. Oh, but avoid the pickled ginger ... me and my mate though it was salmon, so she tucked in :hihi::hihi: !!!

I've just discovered Zeugma too. Have you tried the Turkish tea yet? Fantastic. Strange though, because I took a mate there recent who has been going a while and he said it's not as nice as usual (may have been an off day). But my absolute favourite is Noodle Inn. Been going once a week for over a year now. I've ordered some things in there that I don't rate (the ribs, chicken satay) but the rest is superb - go for small won ton soup, salt and chilli squid, three roasties (bbq pork, crispy belly pork and duck leg) and you won't be dissapointed.

I love Wasabisabi but disagree that it's cheap - quite the opposite in fact! Worth it though. Recently we tried Sakushi, the new Japanese place on Campo Lane and that was lovely too, but again not a cheap option. Those plates of sushi mount up, especially if you keep grabbing the red plates.

If we feel like popping out for an impromptu cheap meal, we nearly always head for Pho 68 Vietnamese Cafe on London Road. The portions are huge and one starter is more than enough for two people, the food is really tasty and the service is fast and friendly.

If you like Turkish food then try the Shiraz Persian restaurant on Abbeydale Road. The food is very similar to Turkish, the prices are good and the portions massive.

My favourite restaurant used to be Jabu on London Road which served dumplings and Szechuan Hot Pot. The place got bought out by the neighbouring Noodle Inn and shut down. What a shame.

the lebanese on glossop rd is gorgeous! similar to turkish, quite intimate and very cheap as well!

:)

If you like Turkish food then try the Shiraz Persian restaurant on Abbeydale Road. The food is very similar to Turkish, the prices are good and the portions massive.

My favourite restaurant used to be Jabu on London Road which served dumplings and Szechuan Hot Pot. The place got bought out by the neighbouring Noodle Inn and shut down. What a shame.

Jabu was not bought out by Noodle Inn. The sale fell through, but the staff had made plans to move on. So after dragging on for a long time the staff and management agreed what day they would close, as they had other jobs and commitments.

This left Jabu with No staff so they closed it as the management felt thier Manager was hard to replace immediately. (The crazy waitress Esther).

But who knows !!!!

Jabu was my fave place too. The fresh crab, oysters, razor clams were spot on. Esther was crazy though, she kept telling me how to cook the food which, at first you don't mind, but after the tenth time i did feel like shouting that I KNOW HOW TO COOK A BLOODY CRAB. But she was lovely . . .

I loved Jabu too. Just glad I went a lot when it was open. Never seen anywhere like it in the UK.

Would love to see it re-open.

not really a restaurant as such (although there is a small seating area) but I'm developing quite a penchant for the Greedy greek deli at the hunters bar end of sharrowvale road.

It's properly gorgeous authentic greek food and great value for money as well.

Darn it, now I'm hungry

Jabu was my fave place too. The fresh crab, oysters, razor clams were spot on. Esther was crazy though, she kept telling me how to cook the food which, at first you don't mind, but after the tenth time i did feel like shouting that I KNOW HOW TO COOK A BLOODY CRAB. But she was lovely . . .

Esther was brilliant, but I know what you mean. She wanted to take over your life if you let her. She had a sadistic streak too, suddenly releasing live crabs to run around on your table if she thought someone had a crab phobia :hihi:

We used to go to Portofino on Chesterfield Road every week, but it closed yesterday. :sad:

The pizzas there were fantastic. Need to find another Italian that does good pizzas. I also like Dim Sum on London Road, but the OH doesn't like chinese food, so I'll sneak in on my own for lunch.