Non-lactose desserts?

Hi All

One of my friends has been diagonosed with lactose intollerance due to some medication she took while in Africa. She can't have any diary products for the next 6 months, this is a bit of a problem as she's a massive fan of chocolate and desserts. Apparently 'dairy-free chocolate is NOT CHOCOLATE!!'

Do you have any suggestions for desserts she could have?

there is a lovely ice cream/glace thing called "Swedish Glace" which is milk-free, and lactose free. it's very nice. you can get it from Holland and barrett.

The icecream is also available from Sainsburys- my Daughter

(10) had it when she had to be lactose free for a while :)

Fruit salad and sorbet, or lemon sponge, just use a fat-free sponge recipe add lemon zest and juice and make a drizzle from lemon juice and icing sugar.

Cheers, I'll let her know. :D

Try making cakes etc. but use non-dairy milk (e.g. rice/soya/oat/almond) and non-dairy margarine instead of dairy products. They taste just the same as if they'd been made with cow's milk, especially stuff like chocolate cake where it tastes mainly of cocoa and sugar whatever else you put in it.

Also there's a really nice chocolate ice cream called B'Nice which is dairy free but tastes the same as normal chocolate ice cream, they don't stock it in supermarkets but I know you can get it from Beanies on Crookesmoor Road.

Thanks again everyone. I got called a 'Very nice boy'! :D

Hi All

One of my friends has been diagonosed with lactose intollerance due to some medication she took while in Africa. She can't have any diary products for the next 6 months, this is a bit of a problem as she's a massive fan of chocolate and desserts. Apparently 'dairy-free chocolate is NOT CHOCOLATE!!'

Do you have any suggestions for desserts she could have?

i too am lactose intollerant, but have been given a new lease of life after discovering lactase enzyme tablets in holland and Barrett. you take 1- 3 tablets just b4 eating any lactose containing produce. £8.50 for 60

Then there are all the usual standby desserts, crumbles, fruit pies/tarts/spotted dick, steamed puddings etc. Make the custard using non-dairy milk and the same with the margerine for the sponge/pastry and you've got puddings fit for a queen.

You could also do bread and butter pudding this way [my personal favourite - make with marmalade sandwiches for a really spectacular result ]

I've been making this for ages and when a friend became lactose intolerant I only then noticed there's no dairy. Or eggs. Also good for vegans!

Carrot, apple and raisin cake

225g/8oz SR flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon

5tbsp veg oil

grated zest 1 orange plus 4 tbsp juice

140g/5oz light muscovado sugar

140g/5oz finely grated carrot

1 medium eating apple, peeled cored and grated

85g/3oz raisins

50g/2oz pumpkin seeds

icing sugar to dust

Pre heat oven to 180/fan 160/gas 4

Grease/line 20cm round tin

Mix flour, salt, b.powder and cinnamon in a large bowl

In a separate bowl miz mix the oil, orange juice, sugar.

Add wet ingredient bowl into dry ingred. bowl.

Add all the rest and mix well.

Spoon into the tin and bake for 50mins-1 hr until the cake pulls away from the tin. Cool before removing from tin.

Dust with icing sugar.

Serves 8-10. Keeps really well and improves each day as it becomes more moist.