View Full Version : 90's Pirate Radio Stations

Nathen
18-04-2005, 14:30
I'm trying to remember what Pirate radio's were going in the 90's and some of the names of the DJ's, but all I can come up with is

Fantasy and SCR (Sheffield Community Radio) with DJ Easy E.

Anyone else help?

Chumley
18-04-2005, 22:32
Er, wasn't it Easy D, aka Darren to his mates?

DJ Dream used to do Fantasy FM as well. And don't forget Sully, or Hi-Rise and Logic.

Sheffette
18-04-2005, 23:36
There was one called Foulmouth for a bit - can't remember anymore cept the lad seemed to like it.

hatter
19-04-2005, 06:52
I DJed on foulmouth for a couple of years- I was DJ Hat, my partner was DJ Buffalo. The guys who ran it were Chocolate Eclair and the Astronomer.

Damon
19-04-2005, 08:42
Astrix and Space?

I think one of them was Chris Duckenfield who went on to record under various tech and deep house guises such as RAC and Swag. Still DJs I think.

Damon
19-04-2005, 08:44
I used to love the adverts they ran on SCR - I had a C90 of them for a years, but unfortunately it seems to have vanished.

Who could forget the classic,

"The Hat Shop - up the gennel by the side of the Job Centre!"

meer
19-04-2005, 16:45
I loves the
"No mugs, no thugs, just party people"
Are there any pirate stations around at the moment?

melthebell
19-04-2005, 18:37
yeah and is there any websites or online stuff about em anywhere?
i remember there used to be one in the flats opposite us up pitsmoor once, cant rememeber the name

Chumley
19-04-2005, 20:25
Originally posted by meer
Are there any pirate stations around at the moment?

Dunno - why not start up your own....

Click here (http://www.spacehijackers.co.uk/html/equipment/piratecase.html) :D

JamesRich
22-04-2005, 13:51
Hardcore Fm, Pitch Fm to name 2.

I think Hardcore FM used to be in the old blue flats on Norfolk Park. I can only remember Easy D and Ratty (Not Rat Pack) though. I will post more if I can remember them.

I do remember that some of the mixing was very, very iffy!!

Damon
22-04-2005, 14:08
There was one called Dream FM for a short while I seem to remember.

stevie1957
26-04-2005, 23:22
Originally posted by Nathen
I'm trying to remember what Pirate radio's were going in the 90's and some of the names of the DJ's, but all I can come up with is

Fantasy and SCR (Sheffield Community Radio) with DJ Easy E.

Anyone else help?

Good post from you Nathen.....I remember when Sheffield Community Radio started broadcasting in 1987. A lot of pirate radio stations used to transmit from Norfolk Park and site their aerials on top of the tower blocks, using a half wave dipoles, facing across the city. Unfortunately Sheffield Community Radio’s transmitter was set up by a right cowboy, because it used to chuck “sproggies” out right across the VHF bands causing interference to the emergency services.

bigbifter
28-04-2005, 21:42
i've got a c90 cassette from 1990 of scr it's got plenty of those ads including one for the limit on west street. plenty of good tunes inc lfo

john_miller
03-06-2005, 15:18
SCR and Fantasy FM 101.9 were awesome. I am originally from the other side of Doncaster and one day, when in Rotherham I managed to tune my dads car radio into SCR. Later that day I was up on the roof of my mum and dads house with a car ariel and a wire to my bedroom window. I could pick up SCR and Fantasy FM from over 30 miles from Sheffield !!!!. I used to love it. It was such new music to me. The names I remember were 'Wisdom and Merlin' and 'Face'. I have a few crackly tapes as well from early 90s. Mainly the more piano type stuff. I loved the adverts as well.

Superb.

If anyone wants a copy of my tapes let me know and I will try and get them put up online somewhere.

:)

BoroughGal
04-06-2005, 18:54
I've got some old SCR tapes from about 1990 - a couple of things stand out for me - Strings of Life, and anything by LFO (I still have their first album too...)

BoroughGal
04-06-2005, 18:56
Originally posted by Damon
Astrix and Space?

I think one of them was Chris Duckenfield who went on to record under various tech and deep house guises such as RAC and Swag. Still DJs I think.

Chris is a friend of a friend (I don't know him personally), but by all accounts he's still recording - had an album out not so long back, and he's very sucessful (Dj-ing) in America and elsewhere abroad.

omnicans
04-06-2005, 21:24
I had mates that played on a few of the pirates, and in had a few slots myself - I remember some of the shady studio setups. Schizophrenic guy who lived in one of the flats, would spend the whole show coming in shouting for less noise, so we would turn the sounds down, then five minutes later he would be back in demanding to know why we were all so quite......Being held up for our records in Pitsmoor, then having them returned after they realised we were on SCR.....Underground Fm, in the cellar of a record shop, playing away, unaware cops were questioning mates above my head..... getting electric shocks every time i used the mixer...

overdrive
13-08-2005, 07:27
i'm looking for tapes of S.C.R if anyone can help cheers !

davep
15-08-2005, 13:26
The name Mailine 102 comes to mind. Oldish sounding guy, one-man band type. Used to blot out the Lincs FM signal on 102.2 when it was on air. Now Dearne FM does the same damn thing!

H.P
15-08-2005, 18:01
Originally posted by omnicans
I had mates that played on a few of the pirates, and in had a few slots myself - I remember some of the shady studio setups. Schizophrenic guy who lived in one of the flats, would spend the whole show coming in shouting for less noise, so we would turn the sounds down, then five minutes later he would be back in demanding to know why we were all so quite......Being held up for our records in Pitsmoor, then having them returned after they realised we were on SCR.....Underground Fm, in the cellar of a record shop, playing away, unaware cops were questioning mates above my head..... getting electric shocks every time i used the mixer...
Was that the guy in the masionettes at pitsmoor??

brunswick
16-12-2005, 15:54
I am one of the co-founders of SCR and I am looking for any recordings that are around as I do not possess any.

Booch
16-12-2005, 16:13
Revelation time!

I used to play on SCR radio - I still have tapes (somewhere), and I miss those days so much!

We we're known as the M.A.D.D. Crew and we played a combination of US Deep House/Garage - UK Street Soul, 'Propa' R&B, Funk, Jazz and Techno, we played on Sundays just before Trevor Ranks (Wha' gwan Ranks...?:thumbsup: ) and any other shows we'd fill in for....

Not about to reveal who I am but we where there from the start (almost!)

Hey Brunswick - u good?:)

Loved the jingle "Much More Music....wicked!

We also ran competitions and we did one of the busiest shows phone-ins - about Trainers....

Memories....

melthebell
16-12-2005, 19:38
Originally posted by honeyplanet
Was that the guy in the masionettes at pitsmoor??

i lived in the flats on earldom drive and my mate lived in the ones opposite and said there was a pirate station in his block...........same "maisonettes"?

ultracynic
16-12-2005, 21:47
old fantasy fm memories

deck to deck show (rob g and martin leverton)
dj sully
easy d
dj mongoose
asterix and space
dj dondy
2 in pleasure

can still remember that advert the played with the intro to frank de wulf's "the tape" in the background

theimposter
16-12-2005, 22:09
Underground 107.9

Remember that...

DJ's Bob Moran, Len Murphy & Craig Benson??

H.P
17-12-2005, 06:41
I met Easy D a few times when I worked in the clubs.. He was a lovley lad.. very cheeky.. lol Anybody know how he is and what hes doing these days

Bartski
04-01-2006, 19:23
Can't beleive it ! .... other people have hung on to recordings of Fantasy FM, Hardcore FM, SCR etc apart from myself! phew don't feel quite as sad now.

melthebell
04-01-2006, 19:30
Originally posted by Bartski
Can't beleive it ! .... other people have hung on to recordings of Fantasy FM, Hardcore FM, SCR etc apart from myself! phew don't feel quite as sad now.
youve got some shows still?
:)
you should do a website with em

Titian
04-01-2006, 19:33
Originally posted by Chumley
Er, wasn't it Easy D, aka Darren to his mates?

DJ Dream used to do Fantasy FM as well. And don't forget Sully, or Hi-Rise and Logic.

It's Darron Manyou, Sully was Liam.

All my mispent youth was in there.

Titian
04-01-2006, 19:34
Originally posted by Booch
Revelation time!

I used to play on SCR radio - I still have tapes (somewhere), and I miss those days so much!

We we're known as the M.A.D.D. Crew and we played a combination of US Deep House/Garage - UK Street Soul, 'Propa' R&B, Funk, Jazz and Techno, we played on Sundays just before Trevor Ranks (Wha' gwan Ranks...?:thumbsup: ) and any other shows we'd fill in for....

Not about to reveal who I am but we where there from the start (almost!)

Hey Brunswick - u good?:)

Loved the jingle "Much More Music....wicked!

We also ran competitions and we did one of the busiest shows phone-ins - about Trainers....

Memories....

omg DID YOU HAVE LONG DARK HAIR IN A PONYTAIL?

Bartski
04-01-2006, 19:36
Memories of pirate radio in sheff ????....

Dj Dream, Face and Busy, Deck to Deck show aka Rob G and Martin Leverton after sunday dinner. . Easy D and MC Rush. . . Two In Pleasure. Asterix and Space, Sully,

YOU KNOW THE SCORE ............ HARDCORE!! he he

GET YOURSELF SORTED AT ICE CLOTHING!(Division st)

" E tunes! " he he.

Titian
04-01-2006, 19:36
Originally posted by honeyplanet
I met Easy D a few times when I worked in the clubs.. He was a lovley lad.. very cheeky.. lol Anybody know how he is and what hes doing these days

He's married with 2 children, and has a catering business.

Titian
04-01-2006, 19:37
Now I'm wondering how many of you lovely people on this thread I know from way back.

Titian
04-01-2006, 19:46
Originally posted by bigbifter
i've got a c90 cassette from 1990 of scr it's got plenty of those ads including one for the limit on west street. plenty of good tunes inc lfo

Don't forget the " S A D A C C A CENTRE" with a very big echo voice

Titian
04-01-2006, 19:47
Originally posted by Damon
Astrix and Space?

"wash yur cake tins I'm tellin ya"

OOps "watch your base bin I'm tellin ya"

Bartski
04-01-2006, 19:53
Bonny, did you sing a few vocals on that silver disc E.P. that started with those imortal words ? ("watch your base bine i'm tellin ya")

Booch
04-01-2006, 20:02
Originally posted by bonny
omg DID YOU HAVE LONG DARK HAIR IN A PONYTAIL?

:o

Nope!

Titian
04-01-2006, 20:21
Originally posted by Booch
:o

Nope!

is your location a clue to who YOU are?

Titian
04-01-2006, 20:22
Originally posted by Bartski
Bonny, did you sing a few vocals on that silver disc E.P. that started with those imortal words ? ("watch your base bine i'm tellin ya")

Bartski................. who are you???

mista_montan
26-05-2006, 10:33
i have many tapes of SCR - from 93 - 95

is that banton on here? djed on Big FM from norfolk park - but have recordings of all sheff pirstes includin JOY FM if anyone remebers

i now run conspiracyuk on the net

mista_montan
26-05-2006, 10:33
contact me on montana1099@hotmail.com

omnicans
26-05-2006, 13:14
all right bob head..wheres the rave!!!!!!!!

omnicans
26-05-2006, 13:14
can the landlord come to the studio please!!

omnicans
26-05-2006, 13:15
and who could forget the mighty DJ rage and Rock nice hip hip show on SCR???

mista_montan
26-05-2006, 17:01
hahah yeh n dj tat n SOS on a staurday night --whatever happened to those guys?

Titian
27-05-2006, 08:50
Memories of pirate radio in sheff ????....

Dj Dream, Face and Busy, Deck to Deck show aka Rob G and Martin Leverton after sunday dinner. . Easy D and MC Rush. . . Two In Pleasure. Asterix and Space, Sully,

YOU KNOW THE SCORE ............ HARDCORE!! he he

GET YOURSELF SORTED AT ICE CLOTHING!(Division st)

" E tunes! " he he.

You can find Sully Here (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=73421546)

mista_montan
27-05-2006, 10:14
wicked -anyone got a contact for dj tat or SOS?

craig3636
05-06-2006, 22:02
anyone remember "sweet g" from scr about 1989 ish?
he was one of the only dj's that sounded professional.
remember his perfect summer cooler drink he used to go on about?
didn't he do a spot on radio sheffield on sunday evenings not so long ago?

Titian
05-06-2006, 22:06
anyone remember "sweet g" from scr about 1989 ish?
he was one of the only dj's that sounded professional.
remember his perfect summer cooler drink he used to go on about?
didn't he do a spot on radio sheffield on sunday evenings not so long ago?
Yup I remember, probably have a tape with him on too somewhere in the abyss that is my home.

mista_montan
05-06-2006, 23:15
yeh scr was bangin station - hoodz undaground, j rugged, tat & sos, skyjuice etc

thats prob the 90s era too when it moved to Millenium

remeber dance fm? or joy fm ? mid nineties

jmcee
14-07-2006, 15:46
yeah I was locked on to them all from around 89 till it all died out.. best period hardcore fm 101.9 around 1990.. asterix n space, tat n inspiration an endless stream crazy new fangled music :love: I was only 10 yo at the time..

jmcee
14-07-2006, 15:53
If anyone's got any tapes from around 1990 please please get them encoded to mp3 and stick them up on www dot sendspace dot com or something.. if you need help to do it reply here or send me a pm I'll do it for you if needs be :thumbsup:cheers ..

mista_montan
14-07-2006, 16:16
Mista Montana and Conspiracy Crew return at 10pm uk time (5pm est) [u][size=6]

CLICK HERE TO TUNE IN NOW - http://212.72.165.23:9376/listen.pls

Another action packed show - -new music - competition - news features - live guests including:

Jurassic 5
Akir
Freestyle (Arsonists)
Manage
DZK

plus many more rising underground emcees - for interviews contact conspiracynetworks@hotmail.com

A full raw, unplanned and live Open Mic/Battle session featuring emcees from the UK, US and other areas of the world. All live and direct to your computer - simply add the MSN conspiracynetworks@hotmail.com for more info on how to take part

Brand new music tonight from - - Nas, Raekwon, Sway, Skinnyman, Doc Brown, Klashnekoff, Genesis Elijah, Kyza, 10shott, Wolftown, La Coka Nostra, Rass Kass, Society of Invisibles, KRS One, Rhyme Fest, Hasan Salaam, Reef Da Lost Cauze,Lowkey, The Perceptionists, Jurassic 5, Geebag, Rhymefest, Geolani, DZK, Boot Camp Clik, Akir, Jean Grae, Talib Kweli, ANP, Jon Dough, Fable, Louis Mackey, Konvict.......plus many more new dubplates.

It all begins at 5pm est and 10pm uk time

We need you there - - simply log on ot the site and hit TUNE IN NOW - http://www.conspiracyuk.com or hit this link here to tune in directly http://212.72.165.23:9376/listen.pls

Shouts to all the Conspiracy Team that put so much work into their contributions - Cross Bone T, GBH, Lazarus, JTC, Illusion, Edgeplay, LNC, Texxus (all Greece street team), Sulymaan, Datsound, Myst, Lord Jazz, Apoc, Jeru, Dondee, Wolf Click, Access Immortal, all Viper Records crew, Mr B, Sunshine .... and evryone we missed off the list. But most of all the listeners - -lets make tonight special n show commercial 'hip hop' djs they are wrong.

If your computer is on tonight and you have love for hip hop then lock on - appreciate all the support we have recieved. We dont make any money (in fact we pay lol) from Conspiracy - and the only payment we work for is people taking time to appreciate what we are trying to achieve.

See you there!

MSN - conspiracynetworks@hotmail.com

LadyG
20-08-2006, 11:48
OMG - Memories - Massive Big Up to Banton and the SCR crew - Legs Diamond, Stevie Wonder, Gary G, Sky Juice - wish U guys would come back on air - Sundays just aint wot they use to be!!!

Greengeek
20-01-2009, 11:24
[Zombie Thread]

I think we need some sort of pirate setup once again, all the radio stations play the same music over and over again. The music people actually want to listen to is being ignored.
I don't mean just the rave stuff like back in the day, but a good variate of alternative music.

englands son
21-01-2009, 20:24

to al the ppl reminicing about the good ol' days of pirate radio and easy d and rush, you will be glad to hear that darren (easy d) and his brother marco hold a night called re-u-nitez playing all the old school tunes from back in the days of cj's, ppl choice, palais, limit etc every 2nd weekend, usually at the redrooms and they also line up live pa's-last one to play was rozalla with everybodys free...so get ya glad rags on and pop down for a nite of pure old skool riddims..peace

raindancerob
19-05-2011, 19:23

sorry to bump an old trend, Eazy D still DJs & runs his own old skool night called Reunitez in Sheffield

raindancerob
19-05-2011, 19:29

SteveG1
25-05-2011, 13:02
I used to pick up Hardcore FM then Fantasy from as far away as Thorne (11 miles the other side of Doncaster) with the help of wiring around my entire room!
Me and a mate used to come through to Norfolk Park flats on Bank Holiday's around 93' when the Fantasy FM guys including Easy D would spin outside and build up quite a crowd.
I bumped into Easy D (Darren) in The Harley whilst he was spinning a few weeks back and he remembered those times well!
I went on to play a few Pirates over Doncaster way and now still DJ in Sheffield at various venues every weekend...happy days they were though!

RedRev
09-11-2012, 20:06
Grew up on Norfolk Park, happy days! Easy D, legend. To those who remember...............

iamwoody
30-11-2012, 15:04
anybody remember Mr bluebeat and boy trojan on scr ? Well one of them Mr bluebeat is still going strong and playing tonight ( Friday 30th ) at the hadfield hotel crookesmoor sheffield if anybody fancies popping down an reliving their past its free admission as well

Dentzler
29-10-2013, 03:44
I remember when I first moved to Sheffield in 1992 and would often listen to Fantasy FM and Hardcore 101.1 FM or something like that?

Whilst I am more of a Techno fan which wasn't really catered for here I Sheffield, I do love some breakbeat hardcore tunes such as the record which starts at 36:43 on the link below if anyone could ID it for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NabZySKcSs

BTW - Where all pirates situated on Norfolk Park tower blocks back in the 1990's?

Goooooogle
29-10-2013, 07:32
I remember when I first moved to Sheffield in 1992 and would often listen to Fantasy FM and Hardcore 101.1 FM or something like that?

Whilst I am more of a Techno fan which wasn't really catered for here I Sheffield, I do love some breakbeat hardcore tunes such as the record which starts at 36:43 on the link below if anyone could ID it for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NabZySKcSs

BTW - Where all pirates situated on Norfolk Park tower blocks back in the 1990's?

Another great link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EPSMj-xt_c