Pubs that are really trying

What pubs are really trying hard? By that I mean free houses that are doing their very best. I'm talking about the pubs that have perfectly kept real ale, good homecooked food, all the elements that make a good pub worth its weight in gold.

Name them here and tell us why, this thread goes sticky for a while

The Hillsborough Hotel does decent food for a fiver and always has a good range of beers which are always well kept.

Personally I'm not a big fan of eating in pubs - I prefer restaurants/home for eating and pubs for drinking

I like the Crown in Totley. They have decent London Pride, Landlord and Tetleys on tap and good home-cooked food. There's nothing flashy or modern about it, just a nice relaxing place to go.

I like the Bath on Victoria Street too, a good honest pub.

Have you tried the wig&pen since it re opened, more real ales than before & a lovely little dining room on Paradise Square

I like the fat cat down at kelham Island. Real ales and good cheap home cooked food.

I like the fat cat down at kelham Island. Real ales and good cheap home cooked food.

Is it home cooked food? I'm just asking the question here because a few people I know reckon its just microwaved

We held my husbands birthday party inthe function room and we all had meat and potato pie, I went in the kitchen to sort out the birthday cake and the pie was just coming out of the oven in one of those big metal trays not a dispoable type and kitchen looked like they had prepared it. Dont know if things have changed as not been for a few months.

We go to the Bee Hive in Harthill very often for tea, their steak pie is lovely and most definately home made. All theri soups and things are home made too.

Devonshire Cat on Wellington Street in the city centre do good food, all local produce in it as well and they have about 8/10 hand pumps on all the time.

I also like the Hillsborough Hotel.

the pie [in the Fat Cat] was just coming out of the oven in one of those big metal trays not a dispoable type and kitchen looked like they had prepared it.

I can second that, having also seen the various pies in their big metal trays fresh from the oven :)

The Cobden View in Crookes is great, good atmosphere two areas for a nice quiet pint and a pool area / come TV area.

For a local in the heart of Crookes, its a very good night out especially at the weekend

The Hillsborough Hotel does decent food for a fiver and always has a good range of beers which are always well kept.

Personally I'm not a big fan of eating in pubs - I prefer restaurants/home for eating and pubs for drinking

Ive had some good meals here.:thumbsup:

I am giving The Stag in Sharrow a shout. I only discovered this pub a couple of weeks and really like it. There is a decent range of beers, well kept, and the decor is light and stylish. The staff have been friendly each time I have been also.

Last night we went to eat there and ordered the vegetarian platter which would have fed three of us. We ended up with a doggy bag to take some of it home, it was great.

The pub must be doing something right because it was heaving last night