Mushroom risotto

Why does mine never come out tasting like the ones in restaurants?

I use the dried porcini etc mushrooms, soak them, use the water they were soaked in as stock, add wine, parmesan and it always manages to taste bland.:help:

Why does mine never come out tasting like the ones in restaurants?

I use the dried porcini etc mushrooms, soak them, use the ater they were soaked in as stock, add wine, parmesan and it always manages to taste bland.:help:

The chefs on TV always say that the key to a good risotto is the stock. I usually find my best risottos are when I've fried a little bacon in with the onion and garlic before stirring the rice in

The chefs on TV always say that the key to a good risotto is the stock. I usually find my best risottos are when I've fried a little bacon in with the onion and garlic before stirring the rice in
The other good tip is to stir the rice and heat it through properly so it starts to release its creamy starch before you add stock.

The other good tip is to stir the rice and heat it through properly so it starts to release its creamy starch before you add stock.

I do that too.:suspect:

Maybe I'm just a really bad cook?:o

Use a glug of nice-tasting white wine - I always use a selection of mushrooms, too: Porcinim, oyster, button, chestnut and any others I can get my hands on. I like to add lemon and a little wholegrain mustard too, but that's just me.

Use a glug of nice-tasting white wine

Similar idea, buy I use dry vermouth. In fact I substitute that in any dish that calls for white wine.

Lots of butter.

In restaurants they aren't worried about waist watching so loooads of butter goes into them. Makes it taste delicious :D

I'd agree with others above, use Noilly Prat (vermouth) over white wine and at the very end, add butter and parmesan, stir, then put the lid on and leave it for 3 minutes - apparently that's very important to give it the right texture and creaminess. Also, don't wash your mushrooms in water as they will soak it up and make them taste bland, you want to wipe any obvious dirt off them and that's it. Cook them on quite a high heat and get the existing water out of them so they get a nutty taste. You could start them off in a different pan until they are nice, then add in to the rice....

I made risotto last night, tasted lovely! Didn't have mushrooms though.

bland - usually means seasoning needed! Bacon (previous suggestion) will add salt.

add seasoning during the final stages of cooking and taste! add, taste, add taste !!

how do u make it and wot are the main ingredients please never made it before thanks

how do u make it and wot are the main ingredients please never made it before thanks

Basic risotto recipe for two people:

Finely chop one small onion. I use olive oil to be healthy but lots of recipes say butter. If you use butter make sure you add a drop of oil to stop it burning. Use a heavy bottomed pan that hasn't got a large base - it encourages the stock to absorb rather than evaporate later. Fry off the onion on a medium heat until translucent, but don't let it brown, then add finely chopped garlic for a minute or two (1 clove per two people at a minimum but hey I like garlic). Then throw in as much rice as you need (allow about 100-120g per person) and use aborio rice which is a nice starchy rice giving a gloopy texture when simmered. Coat it well with the other ingredients and leave it on the heat for a minute or two. At the same time have up to a litre of stock (about that is right for two people) warming through with a ladel on hand. Fresh stock is best, boullion next, stock cubes are last choice but will do fine. Add a wineglass of white wine or dry vermouth into the rice and let it sizzle down. When it's almost disappeared add a ladel of hot stock. Keep stirring from time to time and whenever it disappears, add another before it sticks underneath. Make sure the heat isn't too high and don't stir constantly - I've heard this is as big a mistake as understirring. The rice will start to become transparent from the outside in and after about 15-20 mins keep checking it to see if it's soft to the taste. When ready, add a glug of extra virgin OO and a large handful of grated parmesan. Put the lid on for three minutes then serve.

Nice flavours to add - saffron and spinach, leek and mushroom, pea. Pea risotto is my favourite. Begin by frying off a few handfuls of peas in some butter/oil, take half out and leave whole, take the other half and blitz with lots of parmesan. Add the whole peas towards the end of cooking the rice and the pureed peas at the end. Lovely fresh green mushy stuff!!