Demand for home produced free range chickens?

I currently lease a few acres of land for my horses, far more than they need. I have been toying with the idea of raising some free range chickens for meat on a small scale, probably 50 every 3 months. I know that I need to look into the legalities of what would be required prior to selling these.

However I wondered if there is a demand for such a product in Sheffield, I am sure that I can compete price wise with the supermarkets and the checkens would be fed organic food.

What do you think?

I currently lease a few acres of land for my horses, far more than they need. I have been toying with the idea of raising some free range chickens for meat on a small scale, probably 50 every 3 months. I know that I need to look into the legalities of what would be required prior to selling these.

However I wondered if there is a demand for such a product in Sheffield, I am sure that I can compete price wise with the supermarkets and the checkens would be fed organic food.

What do you think?

I would definitely buy one. I can't really afford to buy this chicken all of the time but I would definitely be up for getting one as a treat every three months or so.

I think there is a definite demand for this kind of meat and I would say go for it. Are there any farmers markets around Sheffield? It would probably go down really well there.

Good luck.

What do you think?

If you're thinking around £5 or £6 each, we'll have a standing order of one per week defo. I can probably guarantee the same for a bunch of other people I know too.

Can you guarantee next to no packaging?

I'd love to be able to buy locally reared free range chickens.

I think a lot of people would, i certainly would if it wasn't for the cost issue as i can't afford to spend more than about £3/4 on a chicken for dinner, but if i could afford to i would, i know my parents would too.

I only buy a whole chicken once in a while and will spend £6-7 for a small to medium one. Seeing as this would provide me with about 4 main courses and two lunches I see it as good value.

I'm sure there would be a market for it in Sheffield but how would you distribute them? If I had to factor an extra £3-4 to go and pick one up then it becomes less attractive

I only buy a whole chicken once in a while and will spend £6-7 for a small to medium one. Seeing as this would provide me with about 4 main courses and two lunches I see it as good value.

Don't forget chicken soup - with homemade noodles & loads of parsley!

I'm sure there would be a market for it in Sheffield but how would you distribute them? If I had to factor an extra £3-4 to go and pick one up then it becomes less attractive

You could always contact the people that deliver organic home grown veggies and try and work out a deal with them, my mum uses Riverswale (i think) and they are great, and i know she would buy a chicken if they provided them.

You could always contact the people that deliver organic home grown veggies and try and work out a deal with them, my mum uses Riverswale (i think) and they are great, and i know she would buy a chicken if they provided them.

or buyers could share collection on a kind of rota basis?

I think a lot of people would, i certainly would if it wasn't for the cost issue as i can't afford to spend more than about £3/4 on a chicken for dinner, but if i could afford to i would, i know my parents would too.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it's far too expensive for ordinary people to eat all the time, I certainly couldn't afford to. My husband is veggie though so we usually don't eat meat. I do love my meat though so when I eat it I want to be really good meat as it is my treat!

definatly buy locally produced free range chicken, would take 2 - 3 a month, live malin bridge area and unless we go over to waitrose or out to a farm shop in derbyshire we go without. i find free range far more economic, there is a lot more meat than supermarket chicken (not pumped full of water!!!) so lasts our large family a lot longer

Sounds like this might be a goer. Definately no packaging apart from maybe some grease proof paper.