Sign in to follow this  

Please explain a few IT job roles

Forgive me for appearing thick, but I've been looking for IT jobs and am not particularly familiar with some of the descriptions for different roles.

If anyone can enlighten me on the following, I'd be a happy chappy:

Analyst, 1st Line support, 2nd Line support, 3rd line etc..

Can help with some of those:

1st line - helpdesk

2nd line - people helpdesk pass things on to

3rd line - for when 2nd line can't sort it/find the answer on Google

Not too sure about "analyst". Should find out really as the job I start a week Monday includes that in the title :?

Analyst is a wooly role; typically it means that you will be spending at least part of your time looking at the underlying problems that software / hardware is trying to solve.

So, an Analyst Programmer is a software developer who'll also be expected to work with the business in designing software.

A network analyst may be involved in disagnosing network problems or designing networks, though sometimes the phrase 'architect' is applied to the latter role.

Joe

And a systems analyst, moi, speaks to the users in their language and translates it, hopefully, into language the developer can understand.